Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2004, 03:10   #1
BHPian

Auto Motor und Sport (Magazine)
They recently did a test between the Enzo, Carrera GT, Murcielago, SLR, DB9 and Continetal GT. Look down the page.

Auto-Motor-Und-Sport

Now (again, sorry) i do not have the article link. But i do have the times, thanks to taunus1975 of Supercars.net

These are the results (Top speed; 0-100 km/h; 0-200 km/h; 0-300 km/h):

Ferrari Enzo: *355 km/h; 3,6 s; 10,3 s; 26,1 s (!!!)

Porsche Carrera GT: 334 km/h; 3,8 s; 10,7 s; 34,2 s

McLaren Mercedes SLR : 334 km/h; 3,8 s; 10,7 s; 30,6 s

Lamborghini Murciélago: 330 km/h; 3,7 s; 12,5 s; 37,6 s

Bentley Continental GT: 319 km/h; 5,2 s; 17,2 s; 67,2 s

Aston Martin DB9: 309 km/h; 5,0 s; 16,7 s; 74,6 s

Track times:
Porsche Carrera GT: 53,86
Ferrari Enzo Ferrari: 54,98
Lamborghini Murciélago: 55,82
Mercedes SLR Mc Laren: 57,45
Aston Martin DB9: 58,82
Bentley Continetal GT: 61,66

(no info or details on the track yet, if someones got em' please post, will try to hunt for it myself)
Old 28th May 2004, 12:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice tracktime for the Carrera GT,

But what im fascinated about is the bentley being such a heavy car + all luxuries + 4 seats can still be quite close, Hooray for Bentley,
Old 28th May 2004, 13:33   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nice find. The Enzo is quicker all through the speed ranges, and I did expect the hyped aerodynamics to assist the car around a track in posting the fastest time of this bunch. But the Carrera GT beat it by a full second and some tenths!

GTO
Old 28th May 2004, 13:51   #4
Team-BHP Support

Carrera GT fastest around a track? Expected. I think it's the best of the 200mph+ cars in the world today. What surprised me, was that the two elephants (DB9 and Continental GT) ran so well and what surprised me even more was the the DB9 was just 1.4 secs off the SLR's timing.
Old 28th May 2004, 14:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Walter Rohrl did say that the CGT was faster than the Enzo around a track, but couldn't say by how much. well now we know, sort of. the reason CGT is faster is because its running a high downforce setup as compared to the Enzo.

the test by AMS was carried out on the high speed Nardo Test Track near Nardo in Lecce, Italy
It's a 12.6 km banked oval.
Old 28th May 2004, 15:29   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]the reason CGT is faster is because its running a high downforce setup as compared to the Enzo.
And even with that high downforce set-up its manages to have the second best top speed at 334 km/h? I wouldnt care too much about that additional 21 km/h at the top end. My preference would be a better track time, and 1 second odd is a lot of difference.

GTO
Old 28th May 2004, 16:51   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Aditya @ May 28 2004,12:21)]Carrera GT fastest around a track? Expected. I think it's the best of the 200mph+ cars in the world today.
Absolutely!

There is just something about this car that i cannot put my finger on, but ever since i first saw sneaks of the concept i was sold on it! The Enzo doesnt even hold a candle to it IMO.

The enzos acceleration times are phenomenal.... wouldnt this have been the UTLIMATE test if they had got a McF1 in there just as a "benchmark"!

FYI - at frankfurt airport i picked up this mag....it was in german, but in a test between the CGT and SLR at the nurburgring, the CGT was 12seconds faster!!!
However the from 200mph-0 the SLR has a ~0.1second advantage over the CGT. (suprisingly, considering how much people complain abt the SLRs brakes...or rather brake feel... )

cya
R
Old 28th May 2004, 20:53   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]the test by AMS was carried out on the high speed Nardo Test Track near Nardo in Lecce, Italy
It's a 12.6 km banked oval.
Yeah but "53,86" as track time on the Nardo Ring sounds impossible. I think for the normal track run, they did it at the short version of Hockenheim F1 Grand Prix Circuit.
Old 28th May 2004, 21:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Porshe Carrera GT still the car to beat...
I thought that the new gen cars such as Enzo etc., are quicker and better. Anyways, its great to see a Porshe at the top, but, interesting to see Aditya's "Elephants"( ) do such quick laps.

Yeah Rehaan, it would have been great to see a Mclaren F1 just to set 'bench marks'.

I'm really surprised that no one could better the McF1 in a decade's time. So much for the Veyron, ALL SHOW NO GO!! .

Old 28th May 2004, 22:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

All right, sorry my mistake. i take full responsibility for it. i knew it sounded weird when they took under a minute at the Nardo bowl. the problem is, that the article is in German and everybody out there seems to have their own translation going.
This is the truth, and, nothing but the truth. The handling track is the 'Autodromo del Levante'. It is a 1.6 km long track somewhere in Italy.
here is what it looks like:

here are some more things the editors had to say about the cars-

ENZO:
300kmh after just 1476m or 26.1sec, top speed 355kmh, very very stable even at that speeds, very firm suspension, not very noisy at that speeds...

CGT:
very good on track, but also very suitable for daily life
( again ) tricky clutch, but nevertheless as driveable as a VW Golf
engine, and especially sound is just to die for…
top speed 334kmh@8350rpm.
also very stable even at top speed, extremely precise steering, and best brakes among all cars…
absolutely the fastest car on the difficult “Autodromo del Levante” track, 1.12sec faster than the Enzo, the editors were quite impressed because the track is only 1.6km long…

SLR:
highest troque, amazing V8 sound with blue flames coming out of the sidepipes, very comfortable even at top speed, excellent 5speed auto, amazing straight line performance, kinda “nervous” rear end when lifting the throttle at higher speeds, quite heavy so lap time on the track suffers a bit ( 3.59sec behind the CGT )

Murcielago:
because of AWD very good natured handling on the track, kinda pure driving experience, very loud, some vibrations at higher speeds, not as precise as the Ferrari or Porsche…

AM DB9:
….one and only car that actually drove to Nardo and even without official engineer, all the other cars where shipped and at lest one engineer with them…
also very smooth ride, “slowest” with 309kmh…
it´s clear, not in the same league as Porsche and Ferrari…

Bentley Continetal GT:
more a castle than a car, the mighty W12 growls like a 5 million dollar motor yacht, the GT doesn´t drive off, it casts off, very silent at top speed, extremely comfortable but with 323kmh bloody fast as well….

I hope these translations are any good, but i read through them quite a few times and they seem to make sense this time.
Old 28th May 2004, 22:48   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ], and best brakes among all cars?
Now that is very very important to me....whether its a regular sedan or a supercar

GTO
Old 28th May 2004, 23:00   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]I hope these translations are any good, but i read through them quite a few times and they seem to make sense this time
Ported_Head.. Thats brilliant info Man, thanks.. I tried going thru supercars.net but wasnt getting any rigid info..

Old 29th May 2004, 01:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Well well well, surprised that the CGT was beaten in the braking area by the SLR in terms of distance. Not much though, but why i am surprised is cuz Porsche does most often than not get the brake setup right and perfect.

However i am sure, the CGT in terms of feel and travel is light years ahead of the SLR.

As a track car, the CGT is what i'd pick. As an everyday car, the CGT. And as a saturday night car, the Enzo. However i don't go clubbin much on sat nites, so therefore i am the nerd and take the CGT.

Keep Revvin ™
Revvmaster
Old 29th May 2004, 02:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]surprised that the CGT was beaten in the braking area by the SLR in terms of distance
hey revv, i didn't quite get that part. were you referring to the AMS supertest? because if you were, i believe that you didn't get all the statistics. here they are:

ENZO:
braking from 250kmh: 215m

CGT:
braking from 250kmh: 191m

SLR:
braking from 250kmh: 221m

Murcielago:
braking from 250kmh: 212m

DB9:
braking from 250kmh: 221m

Continental GT:
braking from 250kmh: 246m
as you can see, the CGT does have the SLR and just about everything else beat when it comes to the braking distances too. not very often do manufacturers build a near perfect car. infact even Murcielago has the SLR beat in the braking test, which is funny for all the SLRs ceramic bits. and the DB9 equalled it. guess there isn't that much to the SLR is it?

and picking the car, i don't go clubbing at all, so i am not hesitant at all picking the CGT even on saturday nights. see some pretty ladies, stop right next to them thanks to the PCCB, and then rev to 2500 rpm and lose them in my rear view mirrior. when you have a CGT suddenly the women don't matter. and i'm sure they wouldn't mind the much applauded howl of the V10, going away from them at 5000 rpm. and even if they do, tough luck, i know i love it.
Old 29th May 2004, 02:54   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]hey revv, i didn't quite get that part. were you referring to the AMS supertest?
I think Revv was reffering to TopGear's CGT vs SLR Test. (if you werent then am sorry revv )

Anyway heres what JC had to say :
"The Porsche stopped beautifully, but the McLaren, with its boot-mounted air brake, was in a different league. It stopped completely. Its ability to lose speed is so phenomenal that it will pull up from 120mph in 180 feet. That's the distance the highway code says it should take to stop from just 60mph.
Interestingly, however, after 10 high-speed stops, the Merc's brakes caught fire."

And by the way, I do go clubbing, but still would choose CGT over any.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] When you have a CGT suddenly the women don't matter.
Well P_H, women matter to me in whatever situation I AM! only a woman can make me ignore a woman.. .
By the way, If I had the money and also the opportunity to buy an Enzo, I dont think I'll have any excuse not to buy THAT! *For whatever purpose* (will buy a special trailor truck keep the enzo over the trailor and sit inside it (enzo).

ps. Did I go too far? ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks