Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2004, 07:15   #1
Team-BHP Support

After turning around Ferrari and Maserati, can Luca wave his magic wand on Fiat - check out the link below

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3762651.stm
Old 31st May 2004, 12:28   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I really dont know how well Luca will be able to turn around the fortunes of Fiat, as he is a master-mind and has a great track record butttttttttttttttttttt its only with extremely high-end luxury brands. Also has a top perfume company, if I remember correct.

He is a favorite with the director boys at Fiat. Its going to be an exciting thing to watch how he performs with a not-so-luxury brand.

GTO
Old 31st May 2004, 12:54   #3
Team-BHP Support

I think Fiat needs a Carlos Ghosn of their own to come in and save them like he did for Nissan.
Old 31st May 2004, 14:28   #4
Team-BHP Support

If you note, the MD of Fiat has quit as he has been passed over. A certain Martin Leach who recently joined Maserati was the man behind the Ford Focus and Mondeo. I' ll be that he will move into the MD slot. Luca will probably manage Ferrari and MAserati hands on and let Martin handle the passenger car biz.
Old 31st May 2004, 18:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

Well Luca is now Chairman

... but i think its more provisional or an honorary post. Remember, the previous gen of Fiat bosses, the agnelli family was getting old. Their probable heir, the erstwhile chief of Piaggio, died nearly 10 years back due to cancer at the age of 33. So since no one of significant importance is left within the family, he becomes therefore the natural choice, i.e. Luca.

As far as what Ajmat mentioned about Leach, remember he'd signed a contract with Ford, not to join a rival firm till 2 years once he leaves Ford. That time is coming up now. Is Fiat still interested? God alone knows. Martin was known for turning around companies and did turn around Mazda. But cudnt do the same with Ford for Europe. His chances of success are in 1 in 2. Fiat might want to consider before putting him in.

My choice of an MD at Fiat. Wolfgang Reitzle. He's good with his cars, his engineering prowess is excellent and created a niche for BMW during his term. Fiat could do by bringing him in. He could bring back the fun-factor in small cars and make loads of new customers queue up outside Fiat showrooms...

... only if Fiat thinks the same as i do.

Keep Revvin ™
Revvmaster
Old 1st June 2004, 15:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

With all due respects to others opinions i think Luca is an all rounder,
Remember readin somewhere he was fit to be the prime minister or was offered a post there,
Can someone confirm?

I think fiat will see good days ahead, Which i dunno atleast in india when it will even though palio is a sweet car,
maybe luca has plans for India
Old 1st June 2004, 16:21   #7
Team-BHP Support

Read in today's TOI - Fiat stock falls coz of Luca's appointment as the head of Fiat. I believe that says a lot about what the general feeling is about him!
Old 1st June 2004, 16:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

Not really rtech.... its punters trying to make an early call so that stocks bottom out and the company is forced to take things under control. It means Fiat will have to take drastic decisions soon.

Its shareholders at their absolute worst.

Revv

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks