Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2004, 13:25   #1
BHPian

For the Rotary Club Members:

Mazda has officially endorsed plans to build a rotary-powered RX-7 replacement. Boy racers and rotory fans will be able to snap one up by 2006.

It's nigh on a decade since the RX-7 last rolled down the production line in Hiroshima, but news is filtering through that will have rotorheads humming.
Click here for the Motoring News article.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Anyone else excited? I just read this today in Car and Driver's buyers guide for 2005. Looks like Mazda wants to bring back their sports car for a decent price.

Supras are coming out for 2005... Its cool that all are going to be priced around $30k USD.
Old 7th June 2004, 14:02   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hey Great news!! So the legend is coming back. I havent yet driven one example but have heard some stories from my friends in the states.

Butttttttttttttt I do hope that it does not look anything like the picture you have posted.

GTO
Old 7th June 2004, 15:06   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Butttttttttttttt I do hope that it does not look anything like the picture you have posted
Exactly.. But in the pic it's the concept, so hopefully the production version comes out better. But SuperCharged 1.6 Rotary sounds Bad @$$..
Old 7th June 2004, 16:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hey PS

Awesome piece of news. So the legend finally resurrects itself from the ashes.
I only hope that Mazda just gets the last gen of RX-7 back again, the same good ol looks while they could improvize that engine. Just wait and watch as these cars get snapped up by prospective guys like you and me who loved the car to death, couldn't afford it then but now have the money to buy one.

Maybe Ferrari could do the same with the 355. What say?

Revv
Old 7th June 2004, 20:33   #5
BHPian

Hey Revv, I knew u'd reply to this topic! .. After all thats what the Rotary Engines are all about.. Revvs Revvs and More Revvs..
Yeah, I am really looking forward to this car. Though I do like the New RX-8, even though it doesnt seem to be as Raw as the RX-7, it still is "pretty" fast.. I loved the supped up version of RX-8 in a short roll it played in the X-Men 2. I also have a gutt feel that it'll be a big part in 3Fast3Furious/Faster and Furiouser if made. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Maybe Ferrari could do the same with the 355. What say?
Positive man, It'll be a great day of my life, even to hear that 355s are back in production..

Old 11th January 2014, 09:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: RX-7 to Resurrect!!

With news that the Supra will be coming back as well, looks like the good times are back!!

RX-7 to Resurrect!!-mazda20rx7.jpg

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...-7-return-2016
khanak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2014, 10:43   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestärke View Post
For the Rotary Club Members:

Mazda has officially endorsed plans to build a rotary-powered RX-7 replacement. Boy racers and rotory fans will be able to snap one up by 2006.

It's nigh on a decade since the RX-7 last rolled down the production line in Hiroshima, but news is filtering through that will have rotorheads humming.
Click here for the Motoring News article.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Anyone else excited?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hey Great news!! So the legend is coming back. I havent yet driven one example but have heard some stories from my friends in the states.
GTO, I have driven one! It was a sweet car, did not handle as surefotted as my 325ix.

My tennis coach bought one for his son. Sadly the car was too much for the kid and the son eventually wrapped the car around a tree. :-( The combination of the high power/weight ratio and a wet road will fall foliage on it was too much for the kid's experience (or lack thereof).

Mazda had a lot going for it in the 80s - from the base 323 (Skip Barber used modded 323s at Lime Rock) through to the RX7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
With news that the Supra will be coming back as well, looks like the good times are back!!
The Supra I know started off as a sleeper (a sorta of Celica with a bigger block) and then for some reason became a boy racer / girl racer. I drove the 1981 and 1985 versions (US) and the later was much faster and felt more "mad" for lack of a better word.

Damn I want to be 21 again!

I want to drive a Corvette UP the PCH where one wrong move could find you flying off Big Sur and into the Pacific Ocean! (I say UP because going down from say SFO to LA is not as scary).

Last edited by navin : 11th January 2014 at 10:44.
navin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2014, 12:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

The Supra I know started off as a sleeper (a sorta of Celica with a bigger block) and then for some reason became a boy racer / girl racer. I drove the 1981 and 1985 versions (US) and the later was much faster and felt more "mad" for lack of a better word.
Yupp. I believe the MKIV is when things really started to get serious.
Old 11th January 2014, 20:46   #9
BHPian

Seriously .. This thread is from 2004. RX 7 is dead. Rest in peace.
Old 12th January 2014, 04:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Seriously .. This thread is from 2004. RX 7 is dead. Rest in peace.
Not sure if you checked out my post that was published on the Autocar website on the 11th of Jan 2014.
Old 13th January 2014, 18:53   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Not sure if you checked out my post that was published on the Autocar website on the 11th of Jan 2014.
Have checked it. There was a similar link which I checked back in 2004 too ( for a 2006 model)

I'm not keeping my fingers crossed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks