Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2008, 10:39   #1
BHPian

Subaru Boxer Diesel Engine

Came across this while surfing the net SUBARU | SUBARU BOXER DIESEL this is supposed to be a revolution in Diesel Engine tech, supposed to be better than the CRDI and Multijets, and its from Subaru. The all new Forester is being launched on 2nd Oct at the Paris Motor Show 08 which has this Boxer Diesel Engine.

SUBARU | SUBARU BOXER DIESEL

SUBARU BOXER DIESEL | A True Engineering Revolution

Last edited by madhokritesh : 15th September 2008 at 10:41. Reason: Link Added
Old 15th September 2008, 13:32   #2
BHPian

Fantastic!

I have always been a great fan of the Subarus'. They are awesome handlers.

The diesel is also is surely going to impress one and all.
Old 15th September 2008, 16:29   #3
BHPian

Now that Subaru is owned by Toyota lets see if they get it here or atleast use the Tech for their engines.
Old 15th September 2008, 16:38   #4
BHPian

Great news for I think its been posted in wrong section.
I really got excited to see this thread under Indian Car Scene but I do not think its going to happen soon
Old 15th September 2008, 17:01   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhokritesh View Post
Now that Subaru is owned by Toyota lets see if they get it here or atleast use the Tech for their engines.
I don't mean to nitpick, but Toyota with 15% ownership in FHI is more of an investor than an owner.

I do wish Tata did some tie-up with Subaru to get tech for LR.
Old 15th September 2008, 21:04   #6
BHPian

I'm sorry, but I missed how this is supposed to be a revolution in diesel technology.
Old 15th September 2008, 21:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

The basic claim to fame for this engine is the lack of balance shafts unlike other diesels. Most other diesels use balance shafts for reducing engine NVH which is substantially more in diesels. It avoids the problem by making two of its pistons move in the opposite direction and hence the vibration gets cancelled out. This philosophy is quite unlike an inline 4 and allows the engine to have a lower CoG as well.

Lack of balance shafts allows the engine to be significantly smaller and lighter than conventional CRDI diesels. This should be an awesome diesel engine... probably even better than multijet.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 15th September 2008 at 21:25.
Old 16th September 2008, 03:08   #8
BHPian

absence of balance shafts makes an engine significantly smaller and lighter than conventional diesels?

I am skeptical of that claim.
Old 16th September 2008, 10:46   #9
BHPian

The Boxer Diesel Engine tech is supposed to be more Fuel Efficient and Powerfull as compared to the Multijets and the CRDIs owing to the lighter engine thats what Subaru says.
Old 16th September 2008, 10:59   #10
HPP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
I'm sorry, but I missed how this is supposed to be a revolution in diesel technology.
It's a Boxer diesel engine, that is revolutionary in itself. The positives highlighted in that article just make the Boxer diesel unique within itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
absence of balance shafts makes an engine significantly smaller and lighter than conventional diesels?

I am skeptical of that claim.
Maybe not "significantly" smaller, but smaller and less complicated none the less. Also less rotating mass(which a road racer should understand is a good thing). Those of us who heavily modify their motors routinely remove the balance shafts for just these reasons(it also free's up HP).
Old 17th September 2008, 04:20   #11
BHPian

I am sorry for being dense but I still don't get it. boxer engines and their traits are well established. Just adding diesel doesn't actually advance the state of the diesel art.

To get into the diesel market, Subaru HAD to do it this way because their cars are engineered for boxer engines and are not crash approved with inline or V engines, even if such engines would fit, plus this allowed subaru to just used their existing engine architecture, albiet with strengthened blocks.

I don't see much here that can be transfered to inline or V layout diesels that they will benefit from, nor do I see other manufacturers seeing much advantage to subaru's way that they go to boxer diesels for their own cars.

Its fun and cool that subaru is making a boxer diesel, but I don't see anything revolutionary.

A mild evolution at best.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks