Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2004, 15:47   #1
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

When first launched in 2001, Mercedes-Benz launched their A series as entry level transportation. It was a small car, utilizing lightweight design with an emphasis on fuel efficiency. The top of the series, the A170, had a modest 95 horsepower which was ample given weight and intended purpose of the car.

It was this compact A-Series which inspired a wealthy car collector to special order a modified version. His goal was to produce the most discreet supercar, using the an A-Series as a base, combining it with highest levels of AMG performance and refinement. The A32K was born.

The company responsible for building the A32K was HWA. Since 1967, HWA have been producing Mercedes-driven cars such as the CLK DTM touring cars and other one-of creations. HWA also have a large history with AMG. Together, HWA and AMG have been creating cars for FIA GT1 motor sport. HWA has been specifically responsible for the manufacture and design of the CLK GTR supercar..

Initially, the plan was to use a 500-horsepower, AMG V8 for the A32K. Once it was found that there was not enough clearance for the unit, the SLK 32 AMG unit was found to be a perfect fit. To match the engine power, the chassis, including the suspension and braking system, was updated.

HWA also completely retrofitted the interior with plush leathers and appointments. The new interior included new 300kph gauges, AMG seats, five-point seatbelts and an AMG steering wheel.

As only one A32K was ordered, only one exists today. It is currently is being sold by the Classic Car Collection in Switzerland. For more information on the sale, please contact them via their website: http://www.carclassic.com

Source : Supercars.net
Old 21st June 2004, 16:50   #2
Team-BHP Support

There was also a twin engined A class - three were made - one was given to David Coulthard. New A class due end of the month, worth seeing what they do -will be a big improvement over current one
Old 21st June 2004, 17:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (ajmat @ June 21 2004,15:20)]There was also a twin engined A class - three were made *- one was given to David Coulthard. New A class due end of the month, worth seeing what they do *-will be a big improvement over current one
think apart from david. even mika and the test driver that time too got it

Old 21st June 2004, 17:37   #4
RJK
Senior - BHPian

now that would be one hell of a scorcher !
Old 21st June 2004, 19:29   #5
BHPian

Yepp, waiting for the New A, and its HOT version
Anyway coming back to the A32K, I think 0 to 60 time of 5 seconds is impressive, but some how I feel its stupid. And I am sure the sticker on that one would be more stupid.
Old 22nd June 2004, 00:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

wasnt dcil planning to launch the a class in india for 8 or 9 lacs!?
wonder why they didnt?
it would have sold like hot cakes! imagine a merc for 8 lacs!
Old 22nd June 2004, 00:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

n yea guys now its officially only 2 of those bimoto A classes that survive.

One of which was crashed by the 2 F-1 drivers.

Revv
Old 23rd June 2004, 00:28   #8
BHPian

WOW....

you guys really like this?? well I am not a fan of the A class at all and especially I dont c the point in getting an AMG A anyhow there all kinds of ppl in the world, so i guess there would be few who would buy something like this..again i prefer the new 1/2 series..

Cheers
Old 23rd June 2004, 13:05   #9
Sam
BHPian

The A class is actually a full car. It may appear all sqaushed up but inside its no santra/matiz. It will be a real winner for the indian market for those who can afford a toyota but want a mercedes with all the advantages of a santro.
Old 23rd June 2004, 13:23   #10
Team-BHP Support

The LWB version had similar legroom to an S class - the new version just announced yesterdat is supposed to be a big improvement in drive ing and quality

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks