Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2008, 16:29   #76
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
What does MJD to do with GM selling its stake in Suzuki? i dont get you buddy.

MJD is from Fiat. And whether they have stake or not, its business. If they want to buy from Fiat they would get to an agreement and buy, right?
GM also had access/rights to use the MJD engine as per the agreement. I believe this was as they had a stake in Suzuki. Now with this stake gone, how do they get access to it?
Old 19th November 2008, 16:43   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
GM also had access/rights to use the MJD engine as per the agreement. I believe this was as they had a stake in Suzuki. Now with this stake gone, how do they get access to it?
I am still not able to understand why the access is only if it has stake in Suzuki? Suzuki does not own the MJD, right? They themselves source it from Fiat.

If they really want MJD, they can still get it from Fiat. Thats what I am trying to say.
Old 19th November 2008, 16:48   #78
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys I have heard that GM is not in to any trouble and they are comming up with some new model of car as well.
Old 19th November 2008, 17:38   #79
BHPian

latest on the big 3's bankruptcy : Heated Debate over the bailout, this is an article from cnn.com.
My personal opinion is they shouldn't get this bailout, they should not use the tax payers money for their wrong calls

Senator rips auto industry at bailout hearing - Nov. 18, 2008

Here is a small transcript from cnn.com :

Are they good for it?
One of the sharpest critics of an auto bailout, Republican Sen. Richard Shelby of Alabama, drilled into the CEOs about the outlook for their businesses and how they would use bailout funding.

"Why should we believe your firms are capable of restructuring now when you weren't able to do it under more begin conditions?" Shelby asked. "What would you do with the money if you were able to get $25 billion, and how would you pay this money back?"

GM's Wagoner said the company's current business model can work. GM would continue with the Volt program and would use bailout funds to pay suppliers, he added.

Ford's Mulally said his company has focused on building higher quality cars that get better gas mileage. "We'll come out the other side - we'll be a turbo machine," said Mulally.

For his part, Chrysler's Nardelli said his company will soon be able to build cars as fast as Toyota. "We will generate a profit," Nardelli said.

Others weren't so sure a bailout was a good use of taxpayer dollars.

"I'm skeptical you'll get it back," said Peter Morici, a business professor at the University of Maryland.
Old 19th November 2008, 20:44   #80
BHPian

Now Opel, unit of GM in Germany has a bidder
AFP: German group SolarWorld bids 1bln euros for Opel

SolarWorld plans to acquire Opel's plants in Germany- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 19th November 2008, 21:41   #81
Senior - BHPian

oh thats some very nice news , i hope opel gets into better hands its one of important german brands which should survive
Old 19th November 2008, 21:44   #82

They might get their bail out package.

Dosent seem like it might happen though, because if GM goes bankrupt, millions of people will be without jobs, adding to America's misery right now. The govt might grant them theyr bail out package, but with alot of new rules about building better cars.
Old 19th November 2008, 22:18   #83
Senior - BHPian

They should be given the bailout package if not for the companies but for the millions of people who are dependent on the big three. It's not pleasant when people lose their jobs.
Old 20th November 2008, 04:09   #84
BHPian

Detroit CEOs fly private jets to Capitol Hill beg-fest - Autoblog

Interesting read. Eqvivalent of turning up to a friend's house in a Ferrari and then asking him if he can lend you some cash. :P
Old 20th November 2008, 14:26   #85
BHPian

Other Option: Chinese may buy GM and others; Good Read

Chinese May Buy GM and Chrysler | The Truth About Cars
Old 20th November 2008, 22:01   #86
Senior - BHPian

The German solar energy company although offered GM to buy Opel plants,
GM has rejected the offer.
Source : GM rejects offer to sell Opel - worldcarfans

Article :
Quote:
GM has rejected an offer to sell it's German brand Opel.

The German solar energy company SolarWorld has made an offer to GM to buy its Opel brand, including all of its plants in Germany, saying it was ready to provide a cash sum of 250 million euros and bank credit lines of 750 million. It also promised a 1 billion euro payout to all Opel staff in Germany. SolarWorld said it planned to turn Opel into the first "green" car company.

GM promptly dismissed the proposal.

"This is pure speculation. We are not going to comment on that. Opel is not for sale," Karin Kirchner, a spokeswoman for GM Europe in Zurich, Switzerland, told Reuters.

GM is in dire need of cash. It has just secured a 1 billion euro loan guarantee from the German government to sustain operations in Germany for the Opel brand. GM is also lobbying the US government for a 25 billion US dollar bailout package for the Big 3 US automakers based in Michigan.

Many analysts believe GM will have to shed several of its brands if it is to survive. And GM has been selling off assets to raise cash, including liquidating its stake in Suzuki Motor earlier this week for 230 million US dollars.

Opel has been a part of GM since 1929.
Old 20th November 2008, 22:18   #87
Senior - BHPian

How will this affect FM cars in India - Chevrolet Spark, UVA, Aveo, OPtra etc
Old 20th November 2008, 22:52   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
Detroit CEOs fly private jets to Capitol Hill beg-fest - Autoblog

Interesting read. Eqvivalent of turning up to a friend's house in a Ferrari and then asking him if he can lend you some cash. :P
Interesting Video in this link (Bottom right portion). Facts About the Auto Crisis - GM Facts and Fiction

They are literally begging for that Govt aid with a threat saying dont give us 25 Billion now, prepare to lose 156 Billion.
Old 20th November 2008, 22:53   #89

Nothing to worry I guess. Mr.Obama has assured that the Detroit three will be bailed out in the event of a bankruptcy. It is not a question of just a carmaker, its GM - the pride of USA - and the US Govt will take all steps to ensure that its pride is not wounded.
Old 20th November 2008, 23:41   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Interesting Video in this link (Bottom right portion). Facts About the Auto Crisis - GM Facts and Fiction

They are literally begging for that Govt aid with a threat saying dont give us 25 Billion now, prepare to lose 156 Billion.
I have already posted it here in my post :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1057031-post63.html

To me it looks like US government surely has something bigger for these three automakers. The US government wont let them die like this.
But what is most surprising is the way GM is now asking for help through these articles.
And I believe that they still have some good products specially the new ones. They were late to get awake, but then are working hard. Chevy Cruze is the best example for GM and Ford's European products are equally good.
I hope that they make out of it, but right now, the scale can tilt any side.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks