Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2004, 02:41   #1
Team-BHP Support

The Mercedes-Benz CL 600 set new standards of what to aspect from a luxury coupe. The CL 600’s Bi-Turbo 12-cylinder engine produces 500 hp and 590 lbs/ft in standard trim. Kleemann increases the power to 627 hp and the torque 769 lb-ft by reprogramming the engine ECU. The turbocharged V12-engine is also fitted with a low back pressure stainless-steel exhaust system with two Trapezoid-shaped tailpipes to improve engine breathing. To minimize wheel spin the car is fitted with the Kleemann LSD locking differential.

Power is transferred to the rear wheels through a five-speed automatic transmission, reprogrammed with a KLEEMANN EGS (Electronic Gear Shift) module to fit the cars sporting potential. This means faster gearshifts and the ability to shift through the gears via two bottoms on the Kleemann sport steering wheel.

Performance is absolutely breathtaking. From a standstill to 60 mph in only 4.1 seconds and after 11.8 seconds you have arrived at 124 mph. The top speed is electronically limited to 186 mph.

The Kleemann aerodynamic-enhancement parts are designed with the highest level of perfection for form and function. The appearance is sporty yet elegant and besides making the coupe look even more intriguing the aerodynamic package offers a performance advantage as well. At high speeds the front spoiler, with the built-in air ducts for brake cooling, reduces lift on the front axle thus further improving directional stability. The rear apron with the integrated diffuser panel rounds out the Kleemann aerodynamic package.

Another important customizing feature on the CL is the two-piece TM5 or the three-piece forged TS6 Kleemann light alloy wheels, which can be mounted on the coupe in the sizes 18-, 19- and 20-inch diameters. The largest possible combination on the CL is the KLEEMANN TS6 alloy wheel in size 9,5JX20 for the front axle with 245/35 ZR 20 tires, and 11JX20 with 285/30 ZR 20 tires on the rear.

To further increase the already superb handling characteristics of the car Kleemann has developed an electronic body lowering module (EBL) for the ABC suspension, which lowers the ride height by up to 35 millimetres.

The safety aspect of a high performance coupe like the Kleemann CL 60 is the Kleemann high performance brake system, which easily handles even the most extreme braking tasks. The Kleemann brake system features 396 x 36 mm vented and cross-drilled discs with six piston calipers in the front, and 342 x 28 mm vented and cross-drilled discs with four piston calipers in the rear.

Another focal point of refining the Mercedes-Benz CL 600 is the interior. Kleemann offers an extensive program for the luxury coupe. Included are such attractive accessories as illuminated entrance panels with Kleemann logo, and an ergonomic Kleemann sport steering wheel with a choice of leather, leather/wood or leather/carbon. The finishing touch to the interior is genuine carbon inlays on the dashboard, center console and door covers which creates a sporty yet comfortable and exclusive feeling. Virtually any color combination of the interior can be fulfilled.

Specs: Biturbo V12, 5513 cc, 627 bhp @ 5800 rpm, 769 lb-ft @ 2000 rpm, 0-60mph 4.1secs, top speed 186mph (limited)

Source: Kleemann CL60
Old 28th June 2004, 02:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

I agree pal, CLs are the most elegant of the entire Mercedes lineup. Need for speed is one thing, but this BHP seems more addictive than a coke habit. What this going to end up doing is people are going to start taking these figures for granted now, and stop generating interest.
sorry for going off topic, but the CL60 is quite a stunner, isn't she. by the way, with 627 hp, didn't it just outdo the SLR?
Old 28th June 2004, 03:02   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (ported_head @ June 28 2004,01:23)]by the way, with 627 hp, didn't it just outdo the SLR?
I think you're right. Wasn't the SLR rated at 617bhp or so.
Old 28th June 2004, 03:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

I just checked, the SLR is rated at 626 bhp, in which case the CL 60 still out does it. why would i want to buy an SLR then?
Old 28th June 2004, 10:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (ported_head @ June 28 2004,11:43)]why would i want to buy an SLR then?
That's bcoz those 626 horses do a much better job getting the SLR around than the CL 600 ever will.

If you've seen the CL 65 AMG video hosted by Tiff, you'll notice the even he seemed all excited about driving a 600+ bhp CL but once he got behind the wheel, he was let down. The fact is that even thought these cars are powerful, they are equally heavy which spoil the whole idea of having a performance car.

Regards....
Shan2nu
Old 28th June 2004, 13:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

I agree, the CL60 weighs almost 2080 kgs while the SLR weighs 1768 kgs, mainly because bodyshell and chassis are made from carbonfibre. What i meant was though the SLR was intended to be a ground up supercar, it is more a luxury coupe. which is also what the CL60 is defined to be. For what it costs it should have been a far better performer, just a little disappointed, and i would be tempted to buy the CL60 instead and spare some change.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks