Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2009, 01:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

J.D. power 2009 - Dealer Service

2009 Customer Service Index (CSI) Study | J.D. Power and Associates

look at Jaguar and LR climb the charts while Honda and Toyota go for a toss.
Old 28th February 2009, 01:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

That looks like a complete shocker.

Few quick observations:
  • Barring Lexus alone at the top, all Japanese brands are rated way below.
  • The top slots are dominated by Americans, followed closely by Germans. I don't remember last time's rating, but Porsche seems to have slipped down.
  • Half-brother of India's No. 1 brand in JD power, Suzuki, is at the bottom most position.
  • Hyundai and Honda has just managed to stay afloat over industry average. Hyundai has scored better than Honda though.
  • VW is the only German brand sitting at the bottom half.
The trends are shocking if you consider more than a decade of domination by Japanese brands at top.

EDIT: Just realized that, Acura and Infinity are able to hold better than their parent brands, but certainly have slipped down few spots.

Last edited by RX135 : 28th February 2009 at 01:54.
Old 28th February 2009, 01:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Interesting... Mitsubishi went from the lowest rated Jap brand to the highest rated Jap brand (barring Lexus) in the span of two years. Lancer and Outlander doing the trick I assume.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 28th February 2009 at 01:57.
Old 28th February 2009, 07:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

I am shocked to see these reports. I think these are initial ownership reports, it would be interesting to see long term ownership costs and ratings.
Audi are not known for excellent reliability but even then they are way ahead of many. Hummer's rating are high too. Lexus and Acura put up good show though. Mercedes-benz that had issues with electricals is hanging up there with more than good ratings!
The biggest shock to me was Porsche coming low and LR coming high.

Now about Suzuki being rated the worst. In India it is no.1, but internationally it is not that high a brand. Just have a look of our market. We know the case of GTO's Merc C-class. In India, I think the high end manufacturers are rated below brands like Suzuki. India is unique market.
Old 28th February 2009, 08:06   #5
BHPian

Simply unbelievable results. I am shocked to see Honda marginally above industry average and Hummer right up in 6th place. Wow! Can't digest this and I will have to read this report once again to see if there is anything that I am missing.
Old 28th February 2009, 08:23   #6
Team-BHP Support

Taken from the article: "The CSI rankings are based on dealer performance during the first three years of ownership, which typically represent the majority of the vehicle warranty period. Five measures are examined to determine overall customer satisfaction with dealer service (listed in order of importance): service quality; service initiation; service advisor; service facility; and vehicle pickup."
As you can see, it's not a reliability survey. Probably explains the Japs' not-so-good performance.
Old 28th February 2009, 12:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Taken from the article: "The CSI rankings are based on dealer performance during the first three years of ownership, which typically represent the majority of the vehicle warranty period. Five measures are examined to determine overall customer satisfaction with dealer service (listed in order of importance): service quality; service initiation; service advisor; service facility; and vehicle pickup."
As you can see, it's not a reliability survey. Probably explains the Japs' not-so-good performance.
Even the last few quality surveys that came up in the papers were singing praises for the Americans minus Chrysler. Ford is flying sky high with its quality, technology and designs.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 28th February 2009 at 12:50.
Old 28th February 2009, 12:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

In these tough times, perhaps time for many makers (most notably Toyota) to pull up their socks. What was No. 1 a few months back may soon cease to exist.
Old 28th February 2009, 13:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Bingo! Once I recovered from the initial shock, I again went over the whole article, just to realize that it is about Authorized Dealer Service Experience than about actual vehicle.
Old 28th February 2009, 13:41   #10
BHPian

I believe J D Power conducts several different types of surveys and publishes ratings for each, for a given market, every year.

For the USA : have a look at JDPower.com | Ratings: New & Used Cars

Ratings: New and Used Cars
Home > Autos > Car Ratings

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Power Circle Ratings are your guide to finding which vehicles ranked highest in J.D. Power and Associates consumer surveys. All Power Circle Ratings are based on the opinions of a sample of consumers who have used or owned the product or service being rated and are therefore indicative of a typical buying experience.[/FONT]

Advertisement

Quality Ratings
Performance & Design Ratings

Captures owner delight with the performance and design of their new vehicles.

Highlights initial quality and feature functionality of new vehicles.

Dependability Ratings
Green Efficiency Ratings

Rates vehicle makes based on fuel economy, air pollution and greenhouse gases.

Measures problems experienced by original owners of 3-year-old vehicles.

Safety Ratings
Ratings By Model

View all available ratings of a particular model.

Select Make AcuraAudiBMWBuickCadillacChevroletChryslerDodgeFor dGMCHondaHummerHyundaiInfinitiIsuzuJaguarJeepKiaLa nd RoverLexusLincolnMazdaMercedesMercuryMINIMitsubish iNissanOldsmobilePlymouthPontiacPorscheSaabSaturnS cionSubaruSuzukiToyotaVolkswagenVolvo
Select Model

Select Year

View the safety ratings of a particular model.

Select Make AcuraAudiBMWBuickCadillacChevroletChryslerDaewooDo dgeFordGMCHondaHummerHyundaiInfinitiIsuzuJaguarJee pKiaLexusLincolnMazdaMercedesMercuryMINIMitsubishi NissanOldsmobilePlymouthPontiacSaabSaturnsmartSuba ruSuzukiToyotaVolkswagenVolvo
Select Model

Select Year

Additional Ratings
More Auto Ratings »

For India, I believe there are 3 important ones, in addition to others Worldwide Services: India | J.D. Power and Associates :

IQS : initial quality of vehicle
SSI : sales satisfaction index - rates your buying experience
CSI : customer satisfaction index - rates your customer service experience, after the sale.

You are a better consumer if you are well informed.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks