Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2009, 22:06   #1
BHPian

Fiat To Debut Revolutionary Multiair Engine Tech On 2010 Alfa Romeo MiTo

Hello ppl,
Came across one link on PUG, nice to share it with you.
Fiat on roll after MULTIJET, now its time for some PETROL

Fiat has launched its new Multiair petrol engine technology, which it claims can slash fuel consumption by up to 25 percent, reduce CO2 emissions by 10 percent and improve both power and torque output.

By using a electro-hydraulic tappet between the camshaft and the intake valves, the Multiair system can vary valve lift profiles on-the-fly with precision and greater versatility that other variable cam systems.

A solenoid controls the flow of oil from the camshaft side of the assembly to the valve stem, with a solid linkage being made between the two when the solenoid is closed and the valve being decoupled from the cam when the solenoid is open.
When peak power is called for, the solenoid stays closed at all times, creating maximum valve lift and duration for the best performance. When lots of low-down torque is demanded, the solenoid is opened near the end of the cam profile to boost grunt.

The Multiair system can also delay valve opening, lower lift, shorten duration and create a unique “multi lift” double-peaked cam profile to maximise economy and lower emissions. It’s all very clever, and - mechanical complexity aside - a brilliant means of extracting the best performance from a single engine.
The 2010 Alfa Romeo MiTo will be the first car in the Fiat family to receive the sophisticated Multiair technology on its 1.4 litre four-pot, while the 1.0 litre version of the same motor will also benefit from the advanced valvetrain. The system is compatible with both naturally-aspirated and forced-induction engines.

A low-displacement two-cylinder engine will also receive the Multiair treatment, however it has yet to be revealed what vehicle will be the recipient of that motor. It will likely power a compact city car, however Fiat hints that it could also see service as an on-board power generator for a future hybrid offering.
There’s loads more detail on the precise mechanics behind the Multiair system, so those of you with a penchant for techno-geekery should check out Fiat’s press release below.

***** For detailed info refer following link*******

2010 Alfa Romeo MiTo To Be First To Receive Fiat's Sophisticated Multiair Valvetrain System

Note from Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th March 2009 at 18:44. Reason: Please see note in post.
Old 6th March 2009, 17:54   #2
BHPian

its really good to see such technological innovations coming up to meet with the real world situations.it just shows the 'never say die' spirit of us.with major manufacturers bringing in such technology automobiles are here to stay for a long long time.
seeing the quality of the current multijet i am sure that this is also going to be one bomb of an engine.
cheers motoring.
Old 7th March 2009, 19:29   #3
BHPian

Thank you for reply buddy.

yupss Its very much true, really exciting news. Hope this is just a beginning of new area, rather than reducing overall weight of the car and increasing FE. In future we would love to drive vehicle which are build like TANK and returns mileage of More than our own tata NANO. Just today morning i heard in TV news that Mr. Ratan Tata said, Tata motors will, now mainly concentrating on more & more FUEL efficient cars.

frankly i was expecting the our DON BHPIANS to comment and explain this all development in LAYMANS language so that ppl like me will understand it on technical front. I just did the work of sharing information i came across.
Old 15th July 2009, 17:14   #4
BHPian

Can Fiat introduce the MiTo in India pleeassssssee?

The most accessible Alfa and such a cheeky little thing this one. Bring in the Alfas!
Old 15th July 2009, 18:35   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by me@fiat View Post

A low-displacement two-cylinder engine will also receive the Multiair treatment, however it has yet to be revealed what vehicle will be the recipient of that motor.
Great news, Where is Fiat going to use the 2 cylinder engine? are they planning a new Nano like car?
Old 15th July 2009, 19:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Next model from Fiat Italy will be a car which is smaller than 500, and the 2 cylinder engine is planned to be packaged into that car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks