Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2009, 16:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Homoerotic desire is a constant theme in Saudi songs and poems about drifting, and accomplished drifters are said to have their pick of the prettiest boys among the spectators.
I heard this to be true as well. Don't know about drags, but in other races etc. This is true in Saudi, Kuwait & other similar states, not in Dubai though.
Old 11th March 2009, 16:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Having lived in Saudi for more than 11 years I can say this.
Saudi boys are born with car key in their hand. They start to drive, that too skillfully at the age of 8 or 9. At 11, they can maneuver huge suburbans with the entire family loaded into it, drive through congested city traffic, reverse-park to near perfection. You should watch the young boys sitting at the tip of the seat, driving the suburbans with such a mastery. They have it in their genes. Control. They have great control on their cars.

Many a times I had been awed by the mastery with which they drive their cars / vans ans other sports vehicles. Me myself have driven frequently at 200+ kmph on Saudi highways, but I consider myself a novice in front of an average Saudi.

Of course, the mention to gays and militancy is just the pepper spray by the author of the article just to create sensation by controversy. Even qualified Engineers have turned militants there and there is no pattern as claimed in this article.

Let us not give too much attention to that portion of the article, lest it creats tension.

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 11th March 2009 at 16:37.
Old 11th March 2009, 16:41   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I heard this to be true as well. Don't know about drags, but in other races etc. This is true in Saudi, Kuwait & other similar states, not in Dubai though.
Its there everywhere, you cannot blame it on a single country or a single ethnic group. The percentage differs with the situations people are exposed to; I have been in the Middle East for quite sometime and can certainly say for sure that this is very much evident here but just as it might be in any other country or place.

The hype here is that people say that Arab men are more prone to this due to the restrictions set forth by their religious and cultural expectations, as in minimal interaction with the opposite sex causes them to turn to what ever is available.

I can certainly say that bachelor men from all parts of the world staying/working away from their families are prone to this due to the unavailability of their needs.

Just to let you all know, when I was in school (Bahrain) and was going for tuitions some of the kids use to hangout at a gaming center (arcade) and the guy running the place would rub his genitals on kids(while they were playing the games) and this guy is from India.

So can this be a reason good enough to say all married Indian men staying away from thier families are homosexuals???

Last edited by dr_know : 11th March 2009 at 16:44.
Old 11th March 2009, 16:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_know View Post
Its there everywhere, you cannot blame it on a single country or a single ethnic group. The percentage differs with the situations people are exposed to; I have been in the Middle East for quite sometime and can certainly say for sure that this is very much evident here but just as it might be in any other country or place.
I am sorry if I sounded prejudiced, that was not my intention. Of course all of this is generalisation & it really shouldn't be so.
Old 11th March 2009, 16:56   #20
BHPian

Yea there really shouldn’t be any generalization!!
Old 11th March 2009, 17:01   #21
Senior - BHPian

I think US media should concentrate more on the ongoing crisis called
'Recession' in their country and the promises made by their newly elected president and not worry too much about what arab youth is doing. Period.
Old 11th March 2009, 17:19   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Having lived in Saudi for more than 11 years I can say this.
Saudi boys are born with car key in their hand. They start to drive, that too skillfully at the age of 8 or 9. At 11, they can maneuver huge suburbans with the entire family loaded into it, drive through congested city traffic, reverse-park to near perfection. You should watch the young boys sitting at the tip of the seat, driving the suburbans with such a mastery. They have it in their genes. Control. They have great control on their cars.

Many a times I had been awed by the mastery with which they drive their cars / vans ans other sports vehicles. Me myself have driven frequently at 200+ kmph on Saudi highways, but I consider myself a novice in front of an average Saudi.

Of course, the mention to gays and militancy is just the pepper spray by the author of the article just to create sensation by controversy. Even qualified Engineers have turned militants there and there is no pattern as claimed in this article.

Let us not give too much attention to that portion of the article, lest it creats tension.
Very well written.
Old 11th March 2009, 17:27   #23
BHPian

Interesting article to note. But why are we getting defensive about the whole thing? I do not think the writer intended to say all were like that.

But having been to Saudi and seen some things out there, can say that these men are extremely bored with nothing do and I guess racing gives them an avenue to vent out their expressions in whatever way possible.
Old 11th March 2009, 18:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
But why are we getting defensive about the whole thing?
Because some people think they have the right to malign anything and everything they feel like. When they themselves are in tatters. Thats why!
Old 12th March 2009, 13:30   #25
Senior - BHPian

The author is obviously a misinformed sensationalist, the kind of tabloid journo who thrives on conspiracy theories and therefore not to be dignified with a response.

The only reason that articles like these are taken seriously, even in passing, is because of the lack of creditable, unbiased, uncensored media reports from the said country. Let us stick to drifting. The rest is open to discussion elsewhere.
Old 12th March 2009, 16:49   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Because some people think they have the right to malign anything and everything they feel like. When they themselves are in tatters. Thats why!
I do not understand what is so maligning about this whole article.
Old 12th March 2009, 17:31   #27
Senior - BHPian

what is so demeaning and offensive in this article?

All I can think of is that some ppl just can't bear to read/hear anything "bad" about Middle East ...

... and hey, what really is so bad that is portrayed here, that ppl want to curb?
Gay ppl?
Drag racings?
Filthy rich ppl on the roads?

Are these really "bad"?
Old 12th March 2009, 17:51   #28
BHPian

Journalists routinely sensationalize the most trivial things, and generalization is what the media is about so I think we should keep this in perspective.

Its similar to some wide eyed journalist writing about the party or trance scene here and merrily misrepresenting and generalizing folks who like to drink and party as spoilt rich brats or druggies strung out on dope and orgies or some equally ridiculous thing

Its not necessarily bias against saudi folks, this sort of amateur psychology has zero credibility coming from a journalist so folks need to stop feeling its some ulterior piece.
Old 12th March 2009, 21:19   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
man calm down, its just a news article..no need to get all flustered up about it
Old 12th March 2009, 23:56   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
what is so demeaning and offensive in this article?

All I can think of is that some ppl just can't bear to read/hear anything "bad" about Middle East ...

... and hey, what really is so bad that is portrayed here, that ppl want to curb?
Gay ppl?
Drag racings?
Filthy rich ppl on the roads?

Are these really "bad"?

Er...the supposed link that all the good drifters are gay?
Or perhaps more importantly, the suggestion that lots of jihadi terrorists have a drifting background?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks