Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2009, 17:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Equus: Will it come to India?

Hyundai displayed it's new luxury sedan, the Equus at the New York Motor Show.The car is straightly aimed at the BMW 7 series,Merc S-class and Audi A8.A Korean car maker competing with THE Germans! Sounds funny, isn't it?
Outside, the Equus is more ornate than the Genesis, with a bright grille, highly-polished wheels and a pedestrian-impaling hood ornament. The sheetmetal details are nice, too.I love the exterior design except for the rear.Doesn't blend with the front perfectly.Otherwise, it's a HUGE car.

While that's all well and good, it's inside the cabin where the Equus shows that it's truly meant to do battle against the likes of the Mercedes S-Class, Lexus LS and BMW 7 Series. All the toys are present: push-button start, a console-mounted control interface for the in-car systems, classy wood accents, upmarket switchgear, and even Grey Poupon snack trays for the rear passengers. Oh, those rear passengers get massaging back seats, as well. It's very impressive looking and it stinks of quality.

While, Hyundai would think twice before bringing this to India but if it ever decides to gamble, they clearly have the ammo to do so.If it is priced rightly(IMO 50-60L), the Equus is the real deal.

Source:New York: Checking out the Hyundai Equus in person
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Equus: Will it come to India?-000_equus_nyca.jpg  

Hyundai Equus: Will it come to India?-002_equus_nyca.jpg  

Old 11th April 2009, 22:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

50- 60l IMO would be too expensive for a hyundai.I think like the japanese brands they should create a luxury sub-brand for hyundai,putting the genesis and equus in it.
Old 11th April 2009, 22:10   #3
BHPian

It looks great...
Hope to see it on Indian roads some day...
Old 12th April 2009, 03:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

even if it comes to india, in the end it's still a hyundai. Though it might offer the space and luxury of the S-class or 7-series for half the price, most people spending that kind of money would still buy a branded car even if it is a compromise on all functions.

What I mean is, Hyundai needs to create a new luxury brand like lexus, infinity etc. with no accosiation whatso-ever with hyundai if it even wants a chance to sell the car.

Eitherway the car itself look great and as usual a mix and match job of different premium cars.

cheers
Old 12th April 2009, 04:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

I don't know if it's Hyundais that look more and more like Mercs or the other way round. A Korean car in an Indian country based on a German design with Japanese technology for 50-60 big ones? Nah.
Old 12th April 2009, 07:45   #6
SuperSyn

Hyundai should bring the Genesis first.

Old 12th April 2009, 16:14   #7
BHPian

why would a person shelling 50-60 lakhs will go in for a hyundai?it will take years for hyundai to create a niche in that segment of market.
Old 12th April 2009, 16:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

I hope they give free sunglasses with the car - you will need them if you're going to be looking at this every day.

YUKK.
Old 13th April 2009, 11:29   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Let Hyundai first manage the problem of selling otherwise excellent 15 lakh rupee cars (the Sonata). Then, we'll talk of how they can penetrate a segment that's a couple of notches higher.
Old 13th April 2009, 12:29   #10
BHPian

Well said GTO.

Hyundai hasn't really been able to penetrate the market north of the 10-lakh bracket. I guess their image has always been more of a Santro/Accent manufacturer. Even I feel that they need to create another brand for premium cars like the Transform & the Equus. I doubt whether anyone will pay 50-60 lakhs for a "Hyundai". No snob value there which is so important for most customers in this category.

The car looks great IMO, although the chrome look is overdone, looks too flashy & bling-bling. It could do with a name change too. Imagine telling your friends, "I drive a Hyundai Equus." And try explaining to them that Equus is a luxury car, that too made by Hyundai.
Old 13th April 2009, 12:53   #11
BHPian

It will sell, bring it on.
Doesn't look like a copycat, unlike sonata, which is why it mainly failed.
Old 13th April 2009, 14:28   #12
BHPian

On a recent visit to South Korea a couple of months ago, I had spotted plenty of Equuses (whats the plural? Equui?!) It's immensely popular there, and to be very honest, it has fantastic road presence, especially in black.
I dont see it being launched in India at least for the time being. The numbers wont do justice, and Hyundai will want to concentrate on their bread and butter here in India.
Old 13th April 2009, 16:09   #13
BANNED

It looks Korean wont sell.
Old 13th April 2009, 20:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Looks good, but it clearly won't attract the crowd for a cost that could bring in an established premium brand.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks