Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2009, 20:14   #1
BHPian

New Fiat Palio 2009 launched in Brazil

Fiat has launched the new Palio with an economical state but with a powerful 1.0L FIRE series engine in Brazil. The new engine offers Flex Fire with increased compression ratio and adopts electronic throttle Drive by Wire, a new intake manifold, new collector discharge tube, new pistons, new valves and central electronic injection system with low friction.

The new Palio produces a maximum power of 73bhp at 6250 rpm and max torque of 95Nm at 4500rpm. These figures are much better than the Indian Palio stile’s 57PS and 92Nm. Moreover, being a 1L unit we can expect a better fuel economy.
Fiat Brazil claims fire economy will return a combined mileage of 16.5kmpl. Also going by the Fiat’s figures, performance would also be better than the current one. Fiat Palio fire economy reaches 100kmph from standstill in just 15.8 seconds.
With the introduction of Palio fire economy, Fiat has also facelifted the Palio. The changes in the exteriors include redesigned bumper, new headlamps and new grille. On the inside, a new dashboard which gives a refreshed appeal and a new “Econômetro” an indicator which tells how to drive in a more fuel efficient manner.
Attached Thumbnails
New Fiat Palio 2009 launched in Brazil-124.jpg  

New Fiat Palio 2009 launched in Brazil-2010fiatpalio2.jpg  

Old 24th April 2009, 20:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

What's the point? I think this is the nth facelift in brazil. But we will most probably never get it. Come to think of it, since the older model is stopped internationally, we may be handed down the dies for it, and will be launched here with an even more stupid sounding name, and the same horrible 70's interiors. And another lousy underpowered engine(is that possible, after the current 1.1?) Needless to say, fiat fanboys will go gaga over it.
In short, to hell with the palio. Bring on the grande punto.
Old 24th April 2009, 20:52   #3
BHPian

I never thought i'd dislike the palio's looks. WHY?
Old 24th April 2009, 21:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

i dedicate my 300th post to the only MUSCLE HATCH...."VIVA FIAT PALIO"

as for the indian connection, we'll be 'BUDDHAS' (old) when this model will be launched here or maybe our grandchildren will get it.

Last edited by amit V8 : 24th April 2009 at 21:05.
Old 24th April 2009, 21:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

The thing is Fiat will need a model to target the lower end of the econo-box market.So i think they are still going to continue with the Palio for sometime to come.I think more than the Palio i find this new FIRE engine to more interesting.73 bhp from a 1 litre engine is commendable and could be used in thier other offerings in india( or by Tata).
Old 24th April 2009, 21:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

About time FIAT came out with something different.
73bhp isn't anything worthwhile to write back home.
Old 24th April 2009, 21:28   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
What's the point? I think this is the nth facelift in brazil. But we will most probably never get it. Come to think of it, since the older model is stopped internationally, we may be handed down the dies for it, and will be launched here with an even more stupid sounding name, and the same horrible 70's interiors. And another lousy underpowered engine(is that possible, after the current 1.1?) Needless to say, fiat fanboys will go gaga over it.
In short, to hell with the palio. Bring on the grande punto.
You are almost right Jay, But I remember Mr. Kapoor (Fiat India CEO) saying that they are right on the process of upgrading both the exteriors and interiors of current Palio. I smell that this is what he meant. You can also see a better interior right here
Attached Thumbnails
New Fiat Palio 2009 launched in Brazil-116.jpg  

New Fiat Palio 2009 launched in Brazil-117.jpg  

Old 24th April 2009, 22:55   #8
BHPian

Whats the alternative to the Palio GTX?

Quote:
What's the point?
In short, to hell with the palio.

I might agree with you if you could find me just one alternative(unmodified car and by that I mean stock car) better than the GTX for a price below 12 lakhs. I was on the verge of buying so many cars below that price including the ALTIS and the Optra but a test drive of the vehicle changed my mind. I was on so many occassions going to discard the GTX I have now but am holding on to it since I could not yet find a better alternative. I am including the Linea too in this field and feel that even the Linea does not have the special something that makes me and the metal one entity when driving long distances.

Even the Grande Punto will not match up to the GTX if it does not come out with the 1.6JTD which I last heard was not on the cards for India though its been released abroad a fortnight ago.
Fiat Grande Punto 1.6 Multijet 120hp

Fiat Bravo: All the strengths of the new 1.6 Multijet 16v engine - Auto news

P-Tronic additional box-units :: power kit ::engine chips :: diesel chips :: power box-units :: diesel tuning :: power box-unit :: chiptuning :: increase engine power :: diesel booster :: TDI tuning :: additional box-unit (NEW)

Except for just one individual in this forum who is extremely sensitive if one speaks anything derogatory about the Palio I am sure many of us Palio owners are keeping the cars only because we cannot get better alternatives even for double the price. I am having my fingers crossed so that the Chevrolet Cruze comes with international specifications and the suspension is upto task for Indian roads. Till then I have no option but keep the GTX. My family keeps begging me to get a bigger car but no luck getting something better for now for less than 12 lakhs which is my maximum budget for a car from the naval canteen.
Old 24th April 2009, 23:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Seems like a old wine in new bottle to me
Old 24th April 2009, 23:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
I might agree with you if you could find me just one alternative(unmodified car and by that I mean stock car) better than the GTX for a price below 12 lakhs.
1)Getz Crdi
2)Fiesta 1.6S
3)ANHC
4)Honda Civic

Heck I think almost all cars except a few like the mahindra xylo, linea etc would fall in this category.
Old 25th April 2009, 00:26   #11
BHPian

Test driven all of them except the Getz

Quote:
1)Getz Crdi
2)Fiesta 1.6S
3)ANHC
4)Honda Civic

Heck I think almost all cars except a few like the mahindra xylo, linea etc would fall in this category.
Tried them all but was disillusined with all of them. In lieu of the Getz I tried the Verna and except for the the Fiesta nothing comes close when all aspects are taken into account. I am not going to bad mouth the Civic but its not a patch on the Fiesta 1.6s. Out right acceleration is not the only factor that makes the metal and the flesh gel. To each his own probably. I am praying hard that the Chevy Cruze has a soul when it lands on our soil.
Old 25th April 2009, 00:38   #12
BHPian

Yuck, bad interiors and I hope this never comes to India. Weird round shape, don't like it at all.
Old 25th April 2009, 00:58   #13
BHPian

Not changing the FIAT Adventure as I love the car and the way it works. Sure there have been minor parts related problems but we made freinds with some service managers and things rolled easily.

Believe me on this instance that happened a couple of months back:
Went with my brother to get the Adventure serviced to A-One motors. With the service we got the Teflon coating refreshed and the interiors dry cleaned of all the white hair my Doggy loves to shed in the car. While my brother went about paying the bills and completing paper work, the Adventure was evoking more questions from prospective buyers than the new vehicles people came to check out. Made me feel that extra special and I sported a smile from ear to ear, while I basked in the glory of owning the Adventure.

Coming back to the thread, I somehow did not like the looks of this Palio. May be its just me but the Grill and Headlamps glare out of an otherwise clean flow design.

Apart from that FIAT should realize the India potential and bring in the latest atleast within the existing portfolio.

Last edited by nishant_kingpin : 25th April 2009 at 00:59.
Old 25th April 2009, 02:14   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
as for the indian connection, we'll be 'BUDDHAS' (old) when this model will be launched here or maybe our grandchildren will get it.

1 to this. By the time Fiat launches this in India it will be time for the next generation Palio to be out.
Old 25th April 2009, 21:36   #15
BHPian

I feel all those who love fiat cars (not the brand) are all on this forum or on PUG, and not in Fiat-India. The Linea generated so much hysteria on the TBHP, and not in Fiat-India. Even the top honchos of the company @ the Linea launch were so dull and uninterested.

No. we shall not get any good cars from this company, as they cant match our passion for these cars, inspite of them needing it the most. The new Safari TVC is an example to a car not being as great as its commercial and Linea being the opposite.

I love the Fiat cars,but will continue to be disappointed by the management's ways and means

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks