Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2009, 09:46   #16
BHPian

Actually the truck pictured is GMC Denali. its like high end version of the sierra which in the first place is a rebadged chevy silverado pickup. picture of unmodified GMC Sierra Denali below the first one.The truck featured in the transformers movie is GMC Top kick which is bigger than the sierra very big.The truck is the second pic.
Source of pictures : wikipedia.org
Attached Thumbnails
Spotted 6 Wheeled GMC Sierra-800px07_gmc_sierra_denali.jpg  

Spotted 6 Wheeled GMC Sierra-800pxironhidemovievehicle.jpg  

Old 1st May 2009, 09:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

I saw a couple of such 6 wheelers in Dubai but unfortunately could not click them. They look huge and have quite a road presence besides being very quick on the tarmac. The huge tow hooks tow some very large contraptions too.
Old 1st May 2009, 20:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

The 6 wheel concept is common in the US. The Ford F-350 super duty truck has 4 wheels at the back. Haven't seen a Sierra with 6 wheels, though.
Old 2nd May 2009, 00:18   #19
Ram
Senior - BHPian

BTW, for the purist, it is misleading to call it a 6 wheeler -- that term is really reserved for trucks with 3 axles in 6x2, 6x4 or 6x6 configuration.

This is nothing more than a 4x2 or 4x4 truck with dual wheels in the rear-- ergo a dualie -- nothing more !

And aren't 4x2 or 4x4 lorries wearing 6 wheels just plain-vanilla common in India? From something as small as a Allwyn-Nissan (now Mahindra) Cabstar or Eicher-Mitsubishi Canter (even the old Swaraj Mazda) all the way up to the old Bedford, Fargo, Ashok-Leylands and Tatas?
Old 2nd May 2009, 02:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
BTW, for the purist, it is misleading to call it a 6 wheeler -- that term is really reserved for trucks with 3 axles in 6x2, 6x4 or 6x6 configuration.

This is nothing more than a 4x2 or 4x4 truck with dual wheels in the rear-- ergo a dualie -- nothing more !

And aren't 4x2 or 4x4 lorries wearing 6 wheels just plain-vanilla common in India? From something as small as a Allwyn-Nissan (now Mahindra) Cabstar or Eicher-Mitsubishi Canter (even the old Swaraj Mazda) all the way up to the old Bedford, Fargo, Ashok-Leylands and Tatas?
Absolutely true, Ram. The '6 wheel' terminology is probably used more so due to the 6 wheels on a vehicle. 18 wheeler, 2 wheeler. Not heard the '6 wheeler' yet.
Old 3rd May 2009, 14:00   #21
BHPian

True say Ram.

Also a lot of "cowboys" run their jacked up trucks with duallies and lift kits up here in Alberta.

Seems pretty useless to me as you can neither go off-roading properly or go fast on highways.
Old 3rd May 2009, 23:18   #22
BHPian

Duallys are quite common here in the US. They are more popular in the mid west and south regions where the farming community is more predominant. They are also very common with the construction work and heavy haulers. The duallys are more commonly used where you need to haul heavy loads on the truck bed or where towing is needed like a lot of people buy them to haul boats and RVs. Just like the pic shown here
Old 7th May 2009, 07:33   #23
BHPian

I had a chance to drive a Dodge ram 3500 dually owned by a friend.(A major - USAF) He uses it to tow his trailer around. It is a 4*2. It was a 6 speed manual though.The cummins 6.7 diesel was quite torquey. I think Tata has a similar engine in the buses.

Driving feeling- First gear is quite useless. Driving without a load It redlined within 3-4 secs . went only upto 15mph. and had to shift very soon. I think i could have started off in 2nd or 3rd rather.

The seating position is like what i felt in a Tata 407. High. Long distance to the front bumpers and the rear. you don't know where the rear is. Gives only 10-12mpg on the highways.

The diesel accelaration in 3rd and 4th was great- but still the engine redlined quite fast. I would have preferred more tall gearing. But with load I think they need that short gearing. maxed out at 95mph in 6th. The truck is in its element on inclines. Any gear- any speed it pulls.

In short . I felt that I was driving an AL truck.

It is for sale though. Major dude is selling it since he thinks a 4*4 is required in snow country. Asking around $16,000 before recession. Anybody wants it pm me.

Major dude got a GMC-sierra 3500 4*4 recently without a dually.
Old 7th May 2009, 10:22   #24
BHPian

I spent a couple years in Indiana; the heartland of Midwest farming. These trucks are amazing haulers, dependable, and downright humongous! Most people keep these trucks in the family for generations, and they become almost like a pet. My best friend has a 70's Chevy truck nicknamed "Old blue" that just keeps going and going. It is a great feeling to bounce down the country roads in a big truck. The roads are made of compacted gravel that over the years turns into a somewhat paved surface. It creates a very bumpy, enjoyable ride! Very fun! The speed limits are suggested 45 mph, but everyone drives anywhere from 55 to 70 mph. Going airborne in these huge trucks is even more fun, and occurs at the intersections of country roads regularly.

These trucks have a good practical use on a farm. Dozens of instances on the larger farms in the midwest occur on a daily basis. Moving thousands of pounds of cargo is a daily routine. Farm life in the midwest is demanding and huge machines like large trucks, combines, and other equipment make it much easier. Farming is very fun!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks