Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2009, 12:08   #1
BHPian

Camaro vs Challenger vs Mustang

What do you think about these vehicles? Which one is your favorite? This is a moment in history when America brings back the three pony cars from times of yore. Fonzy is back, and these epic contenders are ready to do battle again. I'm very excited about the future of aftermarket performance and modifications for all three of the vehicles; Camaro SS, Mustang GT, and Challenger RT/SRT8.

Read comparison article:
Camaro vs Challenger vs Mustang

The article above has limited video content from what can be currently found. However, I think that once these cars become readily available to the public we will see lots of aftermarket performance. These cars feature engines we're already tuning and modifying, so expect lots of fun right away. I can't wait to see what they come up with next! Epic sports car battle-saga's like this I always enjoy. I think the Camaro SS will be the fastest and most powerful out of the three after tuners do there thing. What do you think?
Old 11th May 2009, 20:55   #2
BHPian

hey man . My pick out of these three cars would definately be the camaro for its fantastic design and especially the SS version for the wonderful LS3 motor which puts out 428bhp. I heard the challenger doesn't handle that well whereas both the mustang and camaro are both great at handling. Speaking of aftermarket parts many big players like hennessey have already announced some awesome kits for the camaro and a few other companies for the challenger.
Old 11th May 2009, 21:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

2010 Chevrolet Camaro by Lingenfelter Performance Engineering

Source:Topspeed

Here's of the many tuned Camaros...
Well known for creating ultimate GM street cars, Lingenfelter Performance Engineering will release tuning packages for the 2010 Camaro, ranging from a 550 HP supercharged version to the full blown twin turbo LS7 making 800 HP. LPE is also working on a full aero package.
Camaro vs Challenger vs Mustang-chevroletcamaroby1w.jpg

Camaro vs Challenger vs Mustang-chevroletcamarobyw.jpg
Old 12th May 2009, 06:18   #4
BHPian

We can always count on Lingenfelter for top notch performance designs. I like Lingenfelter a lot, even back in the late 1980's they had a car that would go 254 mph as a daily driver. It was called the Sledgehammer Corvette. It was as dependable as it was fast. I find that very impressive and look forward to modern capabilities from Lingenfelter. Thank you for sharing those pictures! I really like the rims and ground effects combination with high power. It's not just all show and no go, that one moves!

I wonder how stable the Camaro SS chassis is over 200 mph. It looks similar in design to the Corvette which is extremely stable at high speed. I would like to see a fully modified Camaro SS run a top speed test. I think we can see 200+, what does Team-BHP think? What about the Mustang and Challenger, are these 200+ mph friendly designs?
Old 12th May 2009, 14:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoloseven View Post
We can always count on Lingenfelter for top notch performance designs. I like Lingenfelter a lot, even back in the late 1980's they had a car that would go 254 mph as a daily driver. It was called the Sledgehammer Corvette. It was as dependable as it was fast. I find that very impressive and look forward to modern capabilities from Lingenfelter. Thank you for sharing those pictures! I really like the rims and ground effects combination with high power. It's not just all show and no go, that one moves!

I wonder how stable the Camaro SS chassis is over 200 mph. It looks similar in design to the Corvette which is extremely stable at high speed. I would like to see a fully modified Camaro SS run a top speed test. I think we can see 200+, what does Team-BHP think? What about the Mustang and Challenger, are these 200+ mph friendly designs?
Its a bit of wishfull thinking 200MPH + ......Where will you or anyone else be driving these cars at the speeds mentioned. There is a limit to how fast a brick can actually fly.
Old 13th May 2009, 01:02   #6
BHPian

That's true, and the Camaro SS chassis seems a bit tall and wide for super high speed like 200+ mph. However, General Motors has had aerodynamic designs that are actually more aero friendly than they look. Take the 1999 Monte Carlo Z34 design, taken after our friends at NASCAR. This aerodynamic design actually captured wind and used it to push the car from the rear. The top speed of this huge coupe is unreal with the right performance modifications. Can someone run a quick aero and 3D model? I dont' have access to my software anymore b/c I no longer consult engineering lol. I'd like to see a wind tunnel theory test of the new chassis. Help?

Once we see how aerodynamic friendly this new chassis is, we can approximate a top speed possibility. It is somewhat brickish I agree, so we might not get over 200-215 mph.

If this theory Camaro of ours was to be built, I would say the best place to test would be a 2 mile air strip. Or maybe I-75 @ rush hour here in Tampa (just kidding)

Side note: I owned a 1998 Camaro Z28 that was modified fairly well, and it hit 186 mph. But the older design looks more aerodynamic. With GM's sneaky aero skills, I don't see how they would make the new one less aerodynamic, that would be a step down. I think they used stealth aerodynamics.
Old 13th May 2009, 01:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

I know its a wish but if they could ever get the AMC AMX and Plymouth Barrcuda back, these new muscle cars would be nowhere to be seen.

Old 13th May 2009, 01:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

On pure chassis capability alone, Camaro is the one to beat. I imagine it will have a much better ride than a Mustang for sure. And John Heinricy and co would have had an influence on the chassis setup so its golden there.

Last edited by ananthkamath : 13th May 2009 at 01:52.
Old 13th May 2009, 12:48   #9
BHPian

Devarshi84, Those are two beautiful automobiles pictured there. I love the color, and the look. I've never seen anything like that before. Great share! I'd like to see those modernized as well. Maybe some day they will do it! The retro theme seemed to have started with the PT Cruiser, and caught public attention from there forward. Now look at how many retro-ized vehicles we have now! It's great, the classic look with out the classic problems.

Ananthkamath, the Camaro chassis is always the one to beat your right. However, I think this year the Mustang might actually give it a run. Mustangs have been getting more powerful while the Camaro has been retired for a few years. I'm looking forward to see what Saleen, Roush, and others have to do with this vehicle. The Cobra-R comes to mind, I'd like to see a stripped out GT500 on steriods run the track.

Would a Cobra-R beat the new Camaro SS?
Old 14th May 2009, 05:14   #10
BHPian

Now that they fitted a limited slip differential on the Mustang GT and got rid of the solid live axle at the back as well, I'm expecting the Mustang to post much better timings on the racetrack as well and not just on the drag strip.
Old 14th May 2009, 06:15   #11
BHPian

I agree completely with you sujaylahiri the Mustang has seen better days than the 2000+ models. For a while, the Mustang was joked about but like you said changing the solid live axle really helped out. A more flexible Mustang should surely accomplish better track times.

Considering most approach the Camaro vs Mustang vs Challenger as a drag race, which one will do best on the track? I would guess it's between Camaro and Mustang because the Challenger is too heavy, but it is capable of high horse power as illustrated below!

Old 14th May 2009, 11:04   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Mustang for me please. There is just something about it that makes me want it more than the others.
Old 15th May 2009, 00:15   #13
BHPian

This year's Mustang has a high chance of success. They've redesigned a lot of things to make it faster and more nimble through corners. Plus, there is a huge tuner following for Mustangs. This following might even be bigger than the Camaro group. Not too many people are very happy with General Motors right now, and I think this is going to hurt their sales. Ford didn't take the government's money, so people are starting to buy their cars more now. But, the government makes a good sports car lol.

Check out these articles for more Camaro SS action:
2010 Camaro on the Nurburgring
2010 Camaro SS supercharged on the Dyno
Where can I buy a 2010 Camaro?

The supercharged version is unreal, must see. The Camaro didn't do too bad on Nurburgring either, suprisingly. The main issue right now is, where can we buy these cars? They're suppose to be released, but I don't see any besides what's on the internet. Help!
Old 18th May 2009, 07:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
I know its a wish but if they could ever get the AMC AMX and Plymouth Barrcuda back, these new muscle cars would be nowhere to be seen.
mate, these brands have been axed. no chance of them coming back. I'd really wished the 'cuda was back too.
Old 18th May 2009, 08:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

Camaros seem to be having their fair share of problems - cracked hoods , loose battery cables , funny weights on brake calipers.

I'd be a bit wary. If there was an option to choose none of the above, I would. because all these cars are literally barges compared to their ancestors

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks