Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2009, 16:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Dear workers, please buy BMWs ...
Desperate times do call for extracting as much as companies can. This is justified as long as workers do not buy out of negative future consequences.
Old 18th June 2009, 16:29   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Hmm what about those companies who dont make premium Cars\Bikes. Would their Top Bosses Travel in the company car?

Also in case of premium Cars, can all the lower level employees afford buying the company's cars even after discount?
Companies not making premium cars, bosses travelling in company car or not is their choice. Well i gave you examle of ratan tata, he does travel in his own car.

While premium car manufacturers, don't force their employees to own any, such as Porsches, Ferraris or lambo's for that matter, coz it is understood that it is out of the reach for even many rich people.
While BMW, AUDI, or MERC besides making exotics do make hatchbacks as well. Bmw 1 series or merc A or B class, or audi A3 are flooded common in europe. Many of the lower staff employees own them, while workers don't use scooters, they use sports bikes! Well thats the only option besides motoscooters. (For a fact, i know people own them while i visited many industries in europe)
Old 18th June 2009, 17:22   #18
Senior - BHPian

I saw in the TV other day some Automobile manufacturers meeting, Anand Mahindra came in a scorpio. Created a good impression.

Its good to promote the same brand of car, but what if when the employee switches to rival company ?
Old 18th June 2009, 17:32   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
Hey i meant "but while entering the company, an employee should use the same brand" means the company brand car as in if it is BMW then BMW car should be used by person employed.

Well you'd be surprise to know that Ratan tata travels in his Tata safari
Does Ratan Tata actually travel to work in a Safari? And you know this for sure how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
While BMW, AUDI, or MERC besides making exotics do make hatchbacks as well. Bmw 1 series or merc A or B class, or audi A3 are flooded common in europe. Many of the lower staff employees own them, while workers don't use scooters, they use sports bikes! Well thats the only option besides motoscooters. (For a fact, i know people own them while i visited many industries in europe)
So you expect someone working in a factory, to drive into work in a vehicle manufactured for the one he works for but otherwise drive around in whatever he feels like? Do you even know how expensive it is to run a car in Europe? Tax & Insurance? I can tell you with confidence that anyone working on the shop floor would not be able to afford a car to drive to work in and another for lesuire, just to boost the moral of company bosses. These people buy cars not to please someone else, but because they have a particular need for the vehicle they buy. Its really not practical!! Just becuase we have strong affiliation with Nissan and Honda, doesnt mean i sell my Subaru and buy one of them!! If its a company car or a pool car then yeah its logical.

For people needing basic transportation why should they buy a new 1 Series or A Class for £14-20K new, when they can buy a micra for half that? If your looking at the 2nd hand market, why should someone needing basic transportation again pay a premium for a brand name? On price and Insurance? PLus with the recission and people loosing jobs, going on short time, taking unpaid holidays, etc - you really cant expect someone who works on the shop floor, to commit to buying a new car. Silly. On one hand you threaten them with job losses and on the other you want them to buy new cars???

Whats astonishing about going to work on a 'sports bike'? Please remember the accesability of these things in Europe is very different to that in India. And alottt cheaper too, esp in the 2nd hand market.

Last edited by Samir Taheer : 18th June 2009 at 17:38.
Old 18th June 2009, 17:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

And with that I'm not sure how many employees can afford 2 seperate vehicles. One for office and the other for everything else.
Old 18th June 2009, 17:37   #21
Senior - BHPian

From what I hear, the German market has rebounded back to shape after the car scrappage tax benefit scheme.

Only the USA is still down.
Old 18th June 2009, 18:14   #22
BHPian

People work to make money and the loyality towards the company is how sincerely and dedicatedly you work towards the job assigned. Once they have put their sweat and toil for the organization, wot he/she does with money he gets for his effort is totally ones own buisness. Just because I work for an organization, does it mean that I cannot have my own likes and dislikes. Yes loyalty for an organization is one thing, but once it starts infringing on matters personal then its a definite no no. You cannot force people but yeah if you are able to convince them then its a different case. For example if BMW was to force its people to buy only BMW then its not acceptable, but if they are willing to give them good discounts and make the employees feel good about money well spent then that would be the perfect way to go.
Old 18th June 2009, 18:35   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
Does Ratan Tata actually travel to work in a Safari? And you know this for sure how?

So you expect someone working in a factory, to drive into work in a vehicle manufactured for the one he works for but otherwise drive around in whatever he feels like? Do you even know how expensive it is to run a car in Europe? Tax & Insurance? I can tell you with confidence that anyone working on the shop floor would not be able to afford a car to drive to work in and another for lesuire, just to boost the moral of company bosses. These people buy cars not to please someone else, but because they have a particular need for the vehicle they buy. Its really not practical!! Just becuase we have strong affiliation with Nissan and Honda, doesnt mean i sell my Subaru and buy one of them!! If its a company car or a pool car then yeah its logical.

For people needing basic transportation why should they buy a new 1 Series or A Class for £14-20K new, when they can buy a micra for half that? If your looking at the 2nd hand market, why should someone needing basic transportation again pay a premium for a brand name? On price and Insurance? PLus with the recission and people loosing jobs, going on short time, taking unpaid holidays, etc - you really cant expect someone who works on the shop floor, to commit to buying a new car. Silly. On one hand you threaten them with job losses and on the other you want them to buy new cars???

Whats astonishing about going to work on a 'sports bike'? Please remember the accesability of these things in Europe is very different to that in India. And alottt cheaper too, esp in the 2nd hand market.

Listen up, i am not an amateur sitting around passing comments, people working on shop floors are workers, i never said workers drive cars, so your point irrelevant.

I never meant a person driving a micra should trade for 1 series or A class. My post was relevant to if you own a rival brand for BMW as in MERC you can spend the same for buying a BMW. Rest assured everything is on the buyer what he wish to own. Please read the post carefully before accusing.

Again read the post carefully. I said in the brackets sports are the only option to scooters. I know what does it cost to buy a motorcyle. I'd suggest watch out your tongue boy!

Heck it's all the buyer what he wish to do.

Last edited by Dante : 18th June 2009 at 18:46. Reason: beforin = before
Old 18th June 2009, 18:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

Too each his own But I dont like this idea & I know that I am not alone
Old 18th June 2009, 18:43   #25
BHPian

Offcourse even i don't support forcing employees for buying the company brand but i just said that what the BMW company mite be thinking and the company reputation but the reputation is fine only untill it doesn't interferes privately.
Old 18th June 2009, 19:45   #26
Team-BHP Support

I did not wish to respond to this thread.
But looking at comments from a Student (Dante, as per his profile).
I am not surprised.

Let a few years of working for company not owned by him or his family roll by and then he can revisit his comment and have a good laugh.

I still remember the first time I heard the "Programming is an Art" from a guy I was interviewing and chucking to myself.
Old 18th June 2009, 19:52   #27
D-Man

The one thing I really liked about GM; they did not force their employees buying its own cars. It had everything from the good old Aveo to Corvette, Grand AM to DTS and trailblazer to hummer. I have worked with many product based Fortune 500 companies; they definitely encourage its employees to buy their products by giving real heavy discounts. Lets forget the recent downturn of the company but it has been in the Number one position for quite some time. Many a times they released employee discounts for the usual customers. That is one way to pick up sales if thats all what you are trying to do.

If Porsche takes up this strategy then i think employees would be forced to wear sunglasses from Porsche design.

See Yes if my family owned this company for ages yet it does not mean i should be driving my own cars only. Thats not patriotism or favoritism i consider it just lame. Think about it if you really cannot experience the luxury of a S Class how would you be able to Segment series 7 in the market. I know its not the CEO's job but its just stupidity, arrogance.

So Can Ratan Tata now drive a Jag or a Rover? just because he trusted the engineering so much he invested his life long savings in it? false. He may have just saw this as a lucrative business opportunity.

Forget BMW, I saw Punjab's cm enjoying a E class. Shouldn't he be in a Old Contessa or Ambassador? This is a bunch of BS.

Old 18th June 2009, 20:04   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I did not wish to respond to this thread.
But looking at comments from a Student (Dante, as per his profile).
I am not surprised.

Let a few years of working for company not owned by him or his family roll by and then he can revisit his comment and have a good laugh.

I still remember the first time I heard the "Programming is an Art" from a guy I was interviewing and chucking to myself.
Brother i have been in business for many years now. My profile does state student but as a part time, since after a long time of my graduation i recently started a correspondence course.
I don't think i'll laugh at my comment, because i have pretty good knowledge in business not only in india but abroad as well. Lets not drag the topic guys. Lets not create differences now.
Old 18th June 2009, 20:20   #29
D-Man

The war has just begun. Lets not OT here and focus on providing and respecting each others opinions.

Not sure who is the youngest member and who is the oldest member here but doesn't make a difference because we are BHPian's right?

Edit: I agree with Dante on some bullets and BBlost on some. So it wont mean I am really mature or immature or successful in career or just a student. BB I was a student till last year and have been in the industry for almost 10 years. Not sure what you exactly meant by the student comment.

Last edited by D-Man : 18th June 2009 at 20:23.

Old 18th June 2009, 23:42   #30
BHPian

Cool guys.

Wonder why would the employee roam around in Audis,mercs and other rivalry brands, when they are working for BMW and will get the employee discounts.
But after all its ones own money and he can buy any car he can afford.Its his choice!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks