Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2005, 19:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Chevrolet Corvette C06 and SSR

Hey

To begin with, I didn't actually drive the cars. This is a first impression report.

Corvette - Blood red. Low slung. Sexy. Screams out to your senses in every possible way. Looks like 300kmh standing still. Turns out it gets to 299!

The Garuda guys had cordoned them off, but with a lot of persistence (and some threats), we got up close and personal. The 'Vette hits you. For us, starved for a sporty car, this is manna. Popped the hood to look at the largest engine I have ever seen - the 6.0 ltr V8, codenamed LS2, which puts out between 390 and 500 bhp, depending on state of tune. Twin air intakes from the front grille, each almost bigger than our engines, snake under the matte plastic engine cover. You are left to gawk at the sheer size of the thing.

SSR - In bright canary yellow, it hits you like a ton of bricks. Weighs considerably more. Huge is NOT the word! The damn thing's wheels are offset from the body by what seems to be close to a foot! The retractable roof looks bloody good, and you instantly go from a top-up closed bed pick up, to a wind-in-your-hair feel. Then the guy popped open the bed/trunk. All the accumulated junk from however long the twins have been in India, from Optra and Tavera brochures, to plastic seat coverings, were haphazardly piled around. Sad to see such poor treatment.

Got to check out the interiors on the SSR. For an American car, design wasn't too bad. But quality continues to scrape the bottom of the barrel. Pathetic, for a great (copied) external design. There is tons of space, but somehow because of the high sill on the front and sides, you don't really feel it. Not very enticing.

The Corvette interiors look equally cheap, right down to the painted silver console, a la Ford Ikon.

The exteriors are where American build quality really shows. Uneven shut lines on both of them abound everywhere. The Corvette's bumper, as famously pointed out by JC, can be poked concave with your little finger. The SSR has rubber beading straying out from the shut lines around the boot. The 'Vette has screws popping out of the rear lights. Suspension components were showing signs of oxidation.

But why pick on their quality. American cars and quality are like buying diesel Indicas for a drag. True bliss is rare. It is the cranking of an American V8. First the sharp crack of the starter motor. Then as the motor whines and fades out, you become aware of a deep bass rumble. Like a 300 pound gorilla clearing his throat. He keeps clearing. And clearing... and then he ROARS. Heavy metal thunder. Actually, there are no words to describe it. A V8 is a V8 is a V8. Period.

So after all that, the running from Sundaram to Garuda in mid-day traffic, the arguing with the showroom guys to start the engine up, the horrible build quality, what do I think? I loved it! After all, a V8 is a V8 is a V8!
Old 14th June 2005, 19:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

next time you wanna hear a v8...see it and sit in it...just give me a call
Old 14th June 2005, 20:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Consider this a call! I wanna see a V8! Hear it! Sit in it! Forever!!!
Old 14th June 2005, 22:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

Iceman, what about people who want hear flat-sixes?
Old 14th June 2005, 23:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

While we're at it, can I add a V10 and a V12 to the list?!
Old 14th June 2005, 23:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

A picture of both of them at the Speed Run 2005.

Old 15th June 2005, 00:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head
Iceman, what about people who want hear flat-sixes?
And what about inline 6s and V-10s. For nothing is my signature anything else...
Old 15th June 2005, 03:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

Trust me, the inline six from Munich sounds pretty gruff when its revved. What you want to hear is a flat plane V8.
Old 15th June 2005, 07:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

You should see the V8 in an Impala, it looks sooooooooo delicious!!!!
Old 15th June 2005, 11:00   #10
BANNED

Quote:
next time you wanna hear a v8...see it and sit in it...just give me a call
Which V8 you talking about Ice.. is your baleno having 1.8V8

v1p3r Man lucky you the dealership dont have them anymore atleast in mumbai but saw the corvette none the less in motor show..
Old 15th June 2005, 11:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montoya
v1p3r Man lucky you the dealership dont have them anymore atleast in mumbai but saw the corvette none the less in motor show..

the reason being montoya the same ones are here in bangalore now. its a nationwide publicity event

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks