Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2009, 13:22   #1
BANNED

Will Viper "Dodge" the crises??

There are no takers for Dodge Viper! Chrysler had put it up for auction following the crisis situation but so far it has not received any interests in the same. One of the most famous muscle cars of the world is now on the brink of extinction. However, this car is one of the biggest gas guzzling machines in league with the Ford Mustang. It has a fan following around the world but in the wake of present situation, the fans have gone wiser. They are no longer buyers and thus the brand is ready to seep into the history text books.

Chrysler had put up Viper on auction to wipe off its debts with the money raised with its sales. Not only there are no takers but the model has been experiencing the worst sales this year. Chrysler has sold only 120 units this year so far as compared to 1545 units sold last year. The company has already stopped the production of the car.
Dodge Viper is considered to be one of the ultimate sports car models in the US. The current model Dodge Viper SRT10 is powered by a huge 8.4L V10 engine which delivers a stunning 600 hp of power. With a capacity of delivering acceleration from 0-100 km/h in less than four seconds, it is considered to be one of the fastest performance cars in the world. If the brand does not find any buyers, it may also fade out quietly from the sports car segment.

Will Viper "Dodge" the crises??-dodge_viper_srt1002.jpg

::Source Of Article::
Old 15th July 2009, 10:46   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
so far as compared to 1545 units sold last year
$10 Million is cheap for a company that had a $120 million turnover only last year. I have my doubts on the newsreport's numbers. Does it make sense for Chrysler to sell Viper?

Lets accept that it's a lot more difficult to build a cult brand than it is to build a modern car. Viper has a strong fan following, no two sides to that. Sure, the current car is quick only in a straight line & antique by $80,000 automobile standards (Nissan GT-R anyone?). But hey, this is the definitive modern muscle car. Would GM - old or new - ever do away with the Corvette, or Ford the Mustang?

Of course, no ways that a "Viper" can survive indepedently. It can only exist as the performance arm of a larger manufacturer, or if a private organisation picks it up. I, for one, would be terribly upset if this brand bites the dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *VT* View Post
However, this car is one of the biggest gas guzzling machines
"Gas guzzlind machine" is the most abused term today. Hey, this is a 600 BHP performance car, not a Toyota Corolla. How come no one calls the Mercedes S600 a gas guzzler, or the Ferrari F430? Gimme a break from all this gas guzzler crap.
Old 15th July 2009, 14:56   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
"Gas guzzlind machine" is the most abused term today. Hey, this is a 600 BHP performance car, not a Toyota Corolla. How come no one calls the Mercedes S600 a gas guzzler, or the Ferrari F430? Gimme a break from all this gas guzzler crap.
Very well said GTO.
I appreciate this school of thought.
The Viper is an icon. an undelible one at that.
I'll be heartbroken if viper stops production. My dream car.

Most Viewed