Team-BHP - The world's most powerful production car
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   The world's most powerful production car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/6334-worlds-most-powerful-production-car.html)

Volkswagen engineers continue their extended testing of the Bugatti Veyron 16.4 — expected to be the world’s most powerful and most expensive production car when it finally arrives this fall, some two years behind the original schedule.

The all-wheel-drive, two-passenger Veyron certainly merits supercar status. Its 8.0-litre W-16 engine is fitted with four turbochargers, producing 1,001 horsepower, with a projected top speed of 400 kilometres per hour.

The price: An estimated $1 million per copy when the first cars are delivered. The public at large have been waiting with bated breath for this iconic supercar which is more dramatic than the Enzo and is also expected to shatter the acceleration record for any road-going supercar, currently held by the McLaren F1 car.

Source: http://auto.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1149466.cms

this is old news dude.that Veryon no longer has that topspeed.the car was so unstable at high speeds that they will have to restrict the topspeed to 350kmph.and it is still not a production vehicle so dont just call it right now,because it is still not on the road.u'll have to wait a few more months.

and also the most powerful car title is not determined by BHP but by torque figures.hence even though the 65-series AMG cars have 604bhp compared to 650 for the enzo and so on they have 103kgm or torque compared to 67kgm for the enzo.hence they are called as the most powerful production vehicles in the world.the veryon has 125kgm(or is it 127) of torque.but wait Merc is going to develop and derestrict ther V12 twin turbo and it will produce about 131kgm or torque and 700bhp(the current one has derestricted torque of 124.1KGM) in the forth comming CL65.

Hey, I thought powerful was determined by bhp, as in brake horse power!!! My Baleno is more powerful than a Qualis, though it may produce less torque.

I don't think the Enzo qualifies as a production car anymore, because it isn't produced any more.

Quote:

and also the most powerful car title is not determined by BHP but by torque figures
Torque is the rotational force applied to the wheel. It's the amount of work done.

Power is the amount of work done per unit of time.

Hence, power = work/time.

A car with dominating torque figures is a torquey car. A car with dominating power/horsepower figures is a powerful car.

Shan2nu

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Torque is the rotational force applied to the wheel. It's the amount of work done.

Power is the amount of work done per unit of time.

Hence, power = work/time.

A car with dominating torque figures is a torquey car. A car with dominating power/horsepower figures is a powerful car.

Shan2nu

I got a small question for u .. how do indian manufactrers quote their power ?
How much is effective at the wheels ? I mean is it measured at the flywheel without the
transmission, drivetrain losses etc
I've seen lots of tuners quoting WHP e.g. Sportcompact car gives specs abt tuner cars in terms
of WHP like .."evo pumps out 800 WHP".. and they use a dynamometer and gradually apply
the load at varying speeds.. so definately we know that it is effective horsepower considering all
the factors ..
What abt Indian manufacturers ? will a 106 BHP VTECH= actual effective 106 at the wheels ?
am I wrong ? need some idea from u

Quote:

What abt Indian manufacturers ? will a 106 BHP VTECH= actual effective 106 at the wheels ?
am I wrong ? need some idea from u
what the manufacturers (indian / foreign) quote is bhp produced at the crank ..not at the wheels ...
yeah the vtec produced 106 bhp at the crank but power is lost while delivering to the wheels so all 106 horses will not reach the wheels ...

Quote:

with a projected top speed of 400 kilometres per hour.
top speed is restricted to a much lower speed .. veyron cannot touch 400 ks that i know for sure ..
currently the quickest car is the konegsigg CCR ...

Quote:

Torque is the rotational force applied to the wheel. It's the amount of work done. .

hence more the rotational force(torque) the engine produces more powerful it is.torque is the actual pulling power of the car i:e it is the force produced by the engine to make a object move.so more quickly an engine is capable of moving something more powerful it is.this is in engineering terms,in laymans language more power=powerful.

one example:

Car A has 100 bhp and 14kgm of torque.Car B has 90 bhp and 20kgm of torque.when car A has to pull a load of 1ton,it is not capable of producing as much initial momentum as car B because it has lower pulling power compared to car B.hence more load a engine can pull or carry with itself or the faster it
it carries a given load more powerful is the engine.

Quote:

A car with dominating torque figures is a torquey car.
in engineering terms there is nothing called a torquey.it is only powerful.

Coming back to the topic, I remember hearing that if owners wanted to go beyond 200 mph on their Veyrons, they had to call ther factory and theyd send a man with special high speed tyres for the job. How cliched is that?? :mad:

Quote:

Originally Posted by islero
Coming back to the topic, I remember hearing that if owners wanted to go beyond 200 mph on their Veyrons, they had to call ther factory and theyd send a man with special high speed tyres for the job. How cliched is that?? :mad:

First Veyrons have not been released yet.

It has become a joke in the auto journalism world - called the "mythical beast" - bit like a proposed 4 wheel drive swift being built in a workshop in bombay!!!!

i think by the time they will come out they must have already past their best in terms of technology.

Quote:

Originally Posted by islero

are they running michelin made tyres?

Quote:

more quickly an engine is capable of moving something more powerful it is.
U don't seem to understand. Check any car specification, they never mention power in nm, lbft or kgm. It's always in bhp, ps or kw.

Check out the CL 65 AMG specs on this page, see what power is mentioned as and what torque is mentioned as. CL 65 AMG specs

And if you still feel torque alone makes a car powerful, just make sure you check this too. It's the record awarded for the most powerful production car by "Guinness World Records". Click Here

They say the Koenigsegg CCR is the most powerful production car with 806bhp and 920nm. So, if the AMGs have 1000nm of torque, shouldn't it be given the record?

Shan2nu

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat
It has become a joke in the auto journalism world - called the "mythical beast" - bit like a proposed 4 wheel drive swift being built in a workshop in bombay!!!!

rl: You had to pick on someone?

Quote:

U don't seem to understand. Check any car specification, they never mention power in nm, lbft or kgm. It's always in bhp, ps or kw.

please i never said that power figures are mentioned in torque specs.torque is not power but a force.if u see torque is produced by the engine,so theoritically more powerful a engine more torque it should develop.but it is never like that?

Quote:

but it is never like that?
Is that a statement or a question?

Quote:

if u see torque is produced by the engine
Where do you think bhp is produced?

Anyway forget it. Let the world take bhp as power and you can take torque.

Shan2nu