Quote:
Official specs released:
Naturally-Aspirated V-8 (90-degrees)
4-valves per cylinder
6208 ccm displacement
Max power: 510 hp (380kW)@ 6800 rpm
Max torque: 464lb-ft (630Nm) @ 5200 rpm
Redline: 7200 rpm

Interesting to note... This is a completely independant AMG development... Not just a modified Mercedes stock engine...

Set for debut in the ML63 in Frankfurt (September)...

Will eventually make it into S, CL, R, SL, CLS, E, CLK, and SLK...

Twin-turbo version producing 600hp (447kW)/590 lb-ft (800Nm) to debut in 2007 (SL, S, CL)
Quote:
Well this engine may be offered with a modified 7G-TRONIC (with SPEEDSHIFT) transmission, but AMG also has in the pipelines the introduction of a seven-speed dual-clutch sequential transmission (similar to that of Audi's DSG...but far better )...
Quote:
First of all, this "60" AMG... I too have heard that the lower AMG models (C, CLK, SLK) will be receiving a detuned version of the upcoming 6.2L "63", however my info tells me that it will be a 5.5L N/A version producing 420hp+, rather than your reported 6L... which seems to me to be slightly more accurate...

Secondly, I also have heard about this Lightweight Body SL, which is said to give the upcoming SL63 a significant performance advantage over the current existing SL55/65... yep you read it right... it will be a much better performer than the current Twin-Turbo 6L V-12... considering the massive drop in weight...

This Lightweight SL is said to be an indication of all future AMG models and showcase a new direction to be undertaken by AMG, in that they will be enhancing their cars further by reducing weight... looking at significant improvements in handling... Unfortunately, I can not say when this SL63 will be released, but hopefully you are right when you say Frankfurt this year...

Finally, it has been confirmed by a head AMG official (can't remember the name... ;in a press interview earlier this year) that AMG is set to offer it's models with a newly-developed 7-speed twin-clutch sequential that is said to be so fast in its shifting that it is "comparable to a Formula 1 car"...
Old 9th July 2005, 14:29   #2
BHPian

The 63 engine is most definitely confirmed. Only thing left is whether the 510 number is in PS or HP. Although it wouldn't matter much but it would seem rather odd if Mercedes didn't try to one-up their rivals in the horsepower race.

The rest about the sequential transmission and the lightweight SL is merely rumours which can or cannot be true.
Old 9th July 2005, 14:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
that AMG is set to offer it's models with a newly-developed 7-speed twin-clutch sequential that is said to be so fast in its shifting that it is "comparable to a Formula 1 car"...
Yup, it actually is that good. The shifts are superquick.

Shan2nu
Old 9th July 2005, 15:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The shifts are superquick.
AMG Speedshifts

-are 35% quicker !!!
-can perform double Downshifts automatically under heavy braking
-holds the specific gear while hard cornering
Old 9th July 2005, 16:10   #5
BHPian

I think you'll are confusing the current 7G Tronic for the one stated in the article.
The Mercedes 7G-Tronic is different from the //AMG developed 7G-Tronic currently used in the SLK55 which as turbo_lover stated is 35% quicker etc.

The 7G stated in the article, is a new completely redeveloped 7G with a dual clutch system like the Audi DSG (which is also amazing in its own). It will be even quicker than the ///AMG 7G which is being currently used in the SLK55.
Old 9th July 2005, 19:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 7G stated in the article, is a new completely redeveloped 7G with a dual clutch system like the Audi DSG
Yes i was talking about the same one. Where one clutch operates 1st, 3rd and 5th (7th if it's a 7 speed) while the other clutch operates 2nd, 4th and 6th.

Btw, does this model come with a paddle shift, like in the VWs? that'll be great to have.

I've heard the shifts on the VW Golf Gti, it's like listening to a F1 shift, there's no shift lag at all.

Shan2nu
Old 9th July 2005, 19:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Speaking of shift lag, here's an interesting concept: Zero Shift

The website doesn't provide enough insight, but this Racecar Engineering article does sort of: Racecar Engg
Old 9th July 2005, 20:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Speaking of shift lag, here's an interesting concept: Zero Shift
Yup, read about that too. It was printed in one of the Autocar UK mags. The results are unbelievable.

The graph shows no hitch in the power delivery even after shifts. I wonder how they did it. It'll have to be an improved version of CVT which does away with gears.

Shan2nu
Old 19th August 2006, 18:25   #9
BHPian

In 2008 or 2009 there will be a mid engine sportscar by Mercedes-Benz powered by the new 6.2 liters V8 NA to rival the gallardo's,F430's, 911 Turbo's a big hit I guess , one year ago Autocar from UK told that, there is already a prototype of that car on road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks