Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2009, 13:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Dante, the car is a puppy when you drive it easy and roars like a tiger as soon you want to extract the performance. But is one tiger that you can ride and pat it and yourself to have enhanced your abilities. Its ESP and traction is so tuned to kick in at the last moment and thus inspires confidence while letting you have all the fun before you try to kill yourself keep it ON all the time. No other traction control has that ability, lest it is tailor made as per your need. The clutch is thing of beauty, even the Germans know Porsche has the best clutch system, now slowly PDK is taking over.

I had the first gen Cayman (06) without LSD and the whistles (not the S model). I used to get company cars that the company in turn used to get from the lease company. The cars used to get replaced every two months as they took it for professional cleaning and maintenance. Cayman and 318i coupe were the ones I got to keep for more than 6 months. Others like BMW 335i, Audi A6, Ford Mondeo, Volvo S60, VM Eos, Merc C and E were few that I had a chance to keep for almost like a quarter or so.

The one and only thing that is expensive about Cayman is the servicing, but thank goodness it comes after 20k kms. The reason is that the engine is in the middle and it is a time consuming job to service it. I did not care much for the bill as it was company paid. The car is a gem (not a street fighter/red light drag, M3s used to smoke me all the time, but I was cautious; not to run in trouble too). On the mountains it is simply awesome, no other car (in its league) can touch it. My boss used to drive a M3 and R8 and I had to be extra cautious not to offend him and run circles around him, though keeping up with R8 was tough.

The only thing I bought was the set of tires that few colleagues and I used to run during weekends run. Quite expensive but those guys too pitched in as well.

The new cars come with LSD and short throws too. Try to get them and friends back in Germany say that new PDKs are reliable and fun. Though I had manual and do not quite liked the PDK on first go, for me it was quite counter intuitive.

If you are buying I will suggest you buy the S version and try to get the sports seats as you will really love those (comes in leather too).

All the best!

Do let us know your Indian experience soon.
Old 2nd December 2009, 14:33   #17
BHPian

Hey thanks for the info.
You had a '06 base model, try the '09. It's only 0.3 secs slower than M3. And that 0.3 secs are not noticeable, depends on drivers skill.
Yeah i read blogs saying service intervals are longer. thank god!

Offcourse i am buying '09 S model. But manual, no PDK.
Old 3rd December 2009, 17:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

Great, go in for short throw gears (requires more arm strength) and seats are a must. Don't think of the money as it will be the best thing you will invest in. I understand the difference in the seats is $1500 approx per seat.

Normal breaks are great if you will track it or drive it on the edge then invest in Creamic (fade proof) but very different feeling.

What color? When do you get it?

Last edited by Sn1p3r : 3rd December 2009 at 17:27.
Old 3rd December 2009, 18:13   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
Hey thanks for the info.
You had a '06 base model, try the '09. It's only 0.3 secs slower than M3. And that 0.3 secs are not noticeable, depends on drivers skill.
Yeah i read blogs saying service intervals are longer. thank god!

Offcourse i am buying '09 S model. But manual, no PDK.
Great choice Dante! Congratulations! '09 S Cayman would be perfect. It's also a good thing that you're not going in for the idiotic PDK 'box. It's not worth the 6k Pounds you pay for it! Yes with the PDK its faster and all but nothing like the Manual!

I agree with Sniper! The optional sports seats must be ticked on the list! What about PCCB? And PASM with the Sport Chrono Package? I think they're worth that extra amount!
Old 3rd December 2009, 22:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

PCCB is the Ceramic brakes (I dont he will track the car every weekend/normal brakes are just as good, I think std. are carbon composite already) and PASM is something you can think about.

Sports Chrono ??? I am not sure. Though I did not find much use of the same. Maybe you can keep a track of head turns per minute

Enjoy!!!
Old 4th December 2009, 12:11   #21
BHPian

Hey update suhaas and sn1p3r, i am getting the 2010 model. I just went to meet the CEO of porsche India yesterday to get the details about the delivery.
There is something magical about manuals, i love them.
No PCCB. Its not necessay, as i won't be flying on 250+ regularly.

PASM- Active suspension management, i didn't thought about it much.
Sports chrono - It's best used on a track with PASM. I did a heavy research and it's not much of a use on regular roads. I'll fit the sports seat soon.
I think i'll make a thread and then write it all with photographs
Old 4th December 2009, 18:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
So pointless. It's like me dressing up like Usain Bolt and then running the 100m in 50 seconds.
+1
What would you have to say about the hundred diesel lancers with EVO 6 body kits on here?
Old 4th December 2009, 20:13   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
+1
What would you have to say about the hundred diesel lancers with EVO 6 body kits on here?
Well, a diesel lancer will remain a diesel lancer. You can't expect any sort of heroics from that!

But this is a Cayman. And it is the best handling car in the world. It packs a punch too! And it's not far from the E92 M3's times either which is quite something!

I must add that this isn't a pretty dress either. You can take this for track days and it will reward you!

Not many people seem to get the point.
Old 5th December 2009, 00:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

@Suhaas: Buddy, I too feel that this shell is not worth discussing here, we'd rather discuss the one with 850bhp if & when it comes out. To be honest the description in your first post speaks all about the kit(is it adding to the performance in any way?) which is probably gonna be fitted on the 850bhp and is serving like a trailer/teaser of how that car might look like.
No offense meant dude, I too like 'em mechanical marvels-Porsche.

Last edited by Jayabusa : 5th December 2009 at 00:07.
Old 5th December 2009, 11:12   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayabusa View Post
@Suhaas: Buddy, I too feel that this shell is not worth discussing here, we'd rather discuss the one with 850bhp if & when it comes out. To be honest the description in your first post speaks all about the kit(is it adding to the performance in any way?) which is probably gonna be fitted on the 850bhp and is serving like a trailer/teaser of how that car might look like.
No offense meant dude, I too like 'em mechanical marvels-Porsche.
Sure Jaya

We're discussing Caymans in general. For us Porschephiles, it doesn't matter if the Poker is suped or not.

When XTR do introduce the 800 horse power Cayman, I shall give you and everyone else the low down on it.

The point of this one is, it's still a fast car and the kit makes it look like a track car.

Lets wait for the fully blown Cayman then!
Old 5th December 2009, 12:18   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hey Dante,

What color and other options have you opted for?

I think PASM can be thought as well. Rest is pure indulgence .

When do you expect the delivery?
Old 6th December 2009, 17:19   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Hey Dante,

What color and other options have you opted for?

I think PASM can be thought as well. Rest is pure indulgence .

When do you expect the delivery?
The color is speed yelow.
I am getting it this friday.
I shall write it all in a specific thread for it.
Old 7th December 2009, 11:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

Very nice choice of color (GT2 color), I think you will have great time with turning heads.

Personal opinion: Matte/Black wheels with yellow lip will look awesome on the machine. Just perfect as your avatar pic

Enjoy!!!

Waiting for the thread
Old 11th December 2009, 12:00   #29
Senior - BHPian

Yay! Friday is here and congratulations Dante, do post the pictures and run us through the emotions All the best!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks