Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2009, 22:31   #1
BHPian

Mercedes Benz SLS AMG 'Desert Gold' Edition

Later this week, Mercedes-Benz among others, will display their cars at the Dubai International Motor Show. Rest assured, their latest offering the SLS AMG ‘Gullwing’ will not be left behind. And what better way to introduce the 571 horsepower supercar to the ‘City of Gold’ than in an all new Golden avatar.

Specially created for the Dubai Motorshow, this one-off SLS sports a dull-gold paint job, known as ‘Desert Gold’, with black coloured AMG alloy wheels, decorated with a golden outer rim. As of now, only one SLS AMG exists in this colour, but Mercedes say that if customer response is appropriate, it could be made into a standard option.

This colour was designed to attract the money strapped tycoons of the Arab nations. Mercedes sees the launching of the SLS AMG in this unique colour, as a token of appreciation to the Middle Eastern countries, for contributing to a great extent to their global sales. The SLS AMG ‘Desert Gold’ will be unveiled at the Dubai International Motor Show, to be held from the 16th to the 20th of December 2009.

Source: Dubai preview: Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG 'Desert Gold'
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes Benz SLS AMG 'Desert Gold' Edition-mercedesslsamgdesertgold1.jpg  

Mercedes Benz SLS AMG 'Desert Gold' Edition-mercedesslsamgdesertgold3.jpg  

Mercedes Benz SLS AMG 'Desert Gold' Edition-mercedesslsamgdesertgold5.jpg  

Mercedes Benz SLS AMG 'Desert Gold' Edition-mercedesslsamgdesertgold6.jpg  

Mercedes Benz SLS AMG 'Desert Gold' Edition-mercedesslsamgdesertgold7.jpg  

Mercedes Benz SLS AMG 'Desert Gold' Edition-mercedesslsamgdesertgold8.jpg  

Old 15th December 2009, 22:41   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it just a golden coloured paint or is there some real gold stuff in it?

I opened this thread waiting to blast Mercedes, but their reasoning is flawless!

Quote:

This colour was designed to attract the money strapped tycoons of the Arab nations. Mercedes sees the launching of the SLS AMG in this unique colour, as a token of appreciation to the Middle Eastern countries, for contributing to a great extent to their global sales.
Old 15th December 2009, 22:44   #3
BHPian

AFAIK its just gold paint!!
i agree with you, at first the concept seemed bad to me. but then i saw the pics, and then i changed my mind, and my wallpaper!!
Old 15th December 2009, 22:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

This really fits the Sun and Sand.
Old 15th December 2009, 22:48   #5
BHPian

what a thought !!!!! amezing stuff .
mercedes came up with such a unique idea that nobody has thought over this. what a special stuff!
what colour would be for india if they decide to make it?
Old 15th December 2009, 23:04   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bivin View Post
AFAIK its just gold paint!!
i agree with you, at first the concept seemed bad to me. but then i saw the pics, and then i changed my mind, and my wallpaper!!
I still dont like it one bit! But I can understand why Merc made it!
Old 15th December 2009, 23:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I still dont like it one bit! But I can understand why Merc made it!

I wont be suprised to see more than one in real gold soon. This one looks good to me
Old 16th December 2009, 01:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

In the middle-east it would look like a monument on wheels amidst the Sun & sand. Brilliant job. It amazes me how just a colour change can make a world of a difference.
Old 16th December 2009, 07:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Desert Gold, Stripclub Pink, Ninja Turtle Green, Baby Blue - they'd all be very well received by the cash-strapped Arab world.
Old 16th December 2009, 10:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniguchisan View Post
Desert Gold, Stripclub Pink, Ninja Turtle Green, Baby Blue - they'd all be very well received by the cash-strapped Arab world.
Correction..... The Arab world is doing more than OK for cash, its one Emirate that is Dubai where the government was a bit overextended who are feeling the pinch. Mind you its only the government not he people.

Proof is the manner in which Abu Dhabi handed over $ 10 Billion to help out Dubai. I am not aware of any nation today who has this kind of liquidity on hand...cash strapped i think not !

Now why would you want to "blast" Mercedes anyway ?

What they are doing is called creative marketing and they are reaping the benefits and laughing all the way to the bank.

Last edited by wasif : 16th December 2009 at 10:04.
Old 16th December 2009, 10:04   #11
Team-BHP Support

This will not look good anywhere else other than in the Middle East! Take this car and put it in Hollywood Boulevard and it will get tomato-ed! But in Dubai, it would look amazing! I can just picture a Sheik climbing out of it!
Old 16th December 2009, 10:43   #12
Team-BHP Support

Mercedes Benz G 55 AMG 'Edition 79' exclusivley for the Middle East!

In addition to the SLS AMG in gold paint finish, Mercedes will show a limited edition G 55 AMG Kompressor “Edition 79″ model at the Dubai International Motor Show. The “Edition 79″ is a reference to the sales start of the series in 1979 and also a number of units Mercedes will build.
This 507 hp limited series off-road icon is made exclusively for Middle East and features a new matt finish called “designo magno alanite grey”. Other extras compared to the standard G55 AMG are a crash bar at the front, carbon look side trip strips, 10-inch AMG wheels in titanium finish, chromed protective grilles for the front indicators, tail lights and the underguard. Interior features designo leather seats, carbon-fiber trim and individually numbered Edition 79 badge.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes Benz SLS AMG 'Desert Gold' Edition-mercedesg55amgedition79.jpg  

Mercedes Benz SLS AMG 'Desert Gold' Edition-mercedesg55amgedition79front1.jpg  

Mercedes Benz SLS AMG 'Desert Gold' Edition-mercedesg55amgedition79front2.jpg  

Mercedes Benz SLS AMG 'Desert Gold' Edition-mercedesg55amgedition79interior.jpg  

Mercedes Benz SLS AMG 'Desert Gold' Edition-mercedesg55amgedition79rear.jpg  

Old 16th December 2009, 12:07   #13
BHPian

this colour looks super. When I saw the thread title "Desert Gold" for an SLS sounded, well, wierd.
The pics look super, but the car may or may not ook so good in person.

Good marketing by Mercedes, this sure is a car that will stand out among the staid blacks, whites and reds.
Old 16th December 2009, 17:23   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
In addition to the SLS AMG in gold paint finish, Mercedes will show a limited edition G 55 AMG Kompressor “Edition 79″ model at the Dubai International Motor Show. The “Edition 79″ is a reference to the sales start of the series in 1979 and also a number of units Mercedes will build.
This 507 hp limited series off-road icon is made exclusively for Middle East and features a new matt finish called “designo magno alanite grey”. Other extras compared to the standard G55 AMG are a crash bar at the front, carbon look side trip strips, 10-inch AMG wheels in titanium finish, chromed protective grilles for the front indicators, tail lights and the underguard. Interior features designo leather seats, carbon-fiber trim and individually numbered Edition 79 badge.

you mean 20-inch right??
Old 16th December 2009, 17:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Correction..... The Arab world is doing more than OK for cash, its one Emirate that is Dubai where the government was a bit overextended who are feeling the pinch. Mind you its only the government not he people.

Proof is the manner in which Abu Dhabi handed over $ 10 Billion to help out Dubai. I am not aware of any nation today who has this kind of liquidity on hand...cash strapped i think not !

Now why would you want to "blast" Mercedes anyway ?

What they are doing is called creative marketing and they are reaping the benefits and laughing all the way to the bank.
Oops, didn't mean to say 'cash-strapped'. Anything but that! And obviously, a firm would never do this if profits weren't in sight. And gawdy colours and the Middle East go hand in hand!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks