Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2010, 18:53   #1
BHPian

GTO Badge Is Back With Ferrari 599

Ferrari 599 GTO
The Ferrari GTO to be reborn in the form of the 700bhp, 217mph 599 GTO supercar

The Ferrari GTO is back. A scorching version of the 599 GTB Fiorano supercar is set to wear the Prancing Horse’s most famous initials.

It will be the first time the GTO badge has been used since the 288 GTO went west a quarter of a century ago. During a recent interview with evo, Ferrari CEO Amedeo Felisa remarked that the company had changed the internal classification of its flagship 599 from being a ‘GT’ car to part of the ‘Sports Car’ division, alongside the newly launched 458 Italia. It’s this change that has allowed the development of a more extreme version of the 599, much in the same way that the Scuderia was developed from the standard F430.

The 599 GTO will effectively be a road-going version of the track-only £1million Ferrari 599XX and in terms of dynamics will sit well above the current 599 HGTE. Chiefly by raising the rev-limit of the 599’s Enzo-derived 6-litre V12 to 9000rpm, power has been boosted to a whopping 700bhp – an increase of 89bhp over the standard car.

And with quicker gearchanges (down from 100 milliseconds to around 60), expect the 0-60mph time to tumble from 3.7sec to around 3.2, while top speed (205mph in the 599 HGTE), could rise to an Enzo-rivalling 217mph. Which means there’s a very real chance the 599 GTO could be Ferrari’s fastest ever road car.

The UK is slated to get 50 cars, priced at £300K each, with deliveries expected to start as early as May. You can read about the 599 GTO in greater detail in Issue 140 of evo.

Source - New Ferrari 599 GTO | Car News | Supercars | evo
More Info - PistonHeads Headlines
Old 11th January 2010, 10:41   #2
Team-BHP Support

That's good news! But I'd kill for the day when Ferrari would introduce a car with a V12 and a no nonsense 6-speed H-Gated chrome Shifter! It would be fantastic to see Ferrari get back in touch with their roots. The days when they made a car with an incredibly sorted chassis, a fantastic suspension, a straight-forward manual 'box and a scintillating V8 or a V12, either mid or front engined!

Don't get me wrong! Technology has taken Ferrari a long way in motor-sport as well as on the streets. The Manettino switch, the flappy paddles, the launch control and traction control button, all are fantastic pieces of automotive technology. But that's about it!

I wonder if Ferrari would ever make a straight-forward sports car with a proper motor and a simple 'box with a clutch pedal like the way they used to back in the day! They would win plenty of hearts if they do!
Old 11th January 2010, 12:55   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
That's good news! But I'd kill for the day when Ferrari would introduce a car with a V12 and a no nonsense 6-speed H-Gated chrome Shifter! It would be fantastic to see Ferrari get back in touch with their roots. The days when they made a car with an incredibly sorted chassis, a fantastic suspension, a straight-forward manual 'box and a scintillating V8 or a V12, either mid or front engined!

Don't get me wrong! Technology has taken Ferrari a long way in motor-sport as well as on the streets. The Manettino switch, the flappy paddles, the launch control and traction control button, all are fantastic pieces of automotive technology. But that's about it!

I wonder if Ferrari would ever make a straight-forward sports car with a proper motor and a simple 'box with a clutch pedal like the way they used to back in the day! They would win plenty of hearts if they do!
I agree with the stick part. It's needed and certainly not everyone is a fan of flappy paddles.

But coming to the technological part, I disagree. Technology is inherent in today's automobiles and without it any vehicle is bound to suffer.

Coming to winning of plenty of hearts - Let's not forget Ferrari 348.
Here are a couple of quotes on Ferrari 348 which, lets say, wasn't equipped with the state of art technology -

"Has Honda bettered Ferrari?” Road & Track on launch of NSX.

Acura released its NSX, and overnight the equation changed. The Honda-designed midengine V-6 two-seater equaled the Ferrari 348’s performance, had better-balanced road manners, greater comfort, and one-upped Ferrari with superior engineering and build quality. And it cost some $30,000 less.

Luca Di Montezemolo - "I had just bought a new 348,” he said in an interview with Automobile a decade after he took the helm at Ferrari, “and with the exception of its good looks I was utterly disappointed. This was clearly the worst product Ferrari had developed for some time.”

In fact enthusiasts should complain on the day when Ferrari stops building driver's car. Ferrari should be attacked the day they loose their aim of performance. Rest, they should see the practicality behind technology.

P.S. - Suhaas, Don't take me wrong - My love for Ferrari is greater than your love for Porsche
Old 11th January 2010, 14:48   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir458 View Post
I agree with the stick part. It's needed and certainly not everyone is a fan of flappy paddles.

But coming to the technological part, I disagree...

...P.S. - Suhaas, Don't take me wrong - My love for Ferrari is greater than your love for Porsche
Now you can never say that! I'm offended!

Yes, some amount of technology is always good. There is no doubt about it. But Ferrari these days are making tech-laden cars by the bunch, and from what I've read, they don't induce any sort of emotion and passion as such (barring the 430 Scuderia and the Scuderia 16M of course). They're just tech-laden sports cars nowadays.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks