Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2010, 19:48   #1
BHPian

Ford finally makes a profit!

Ford Motor Co. has had a good year, the first since 2005.

Ford: First profitable year since '05 - Jan. 28, 2010(CNN Article)

And read that keeping in mind Toyota's woes. Is the US market headed towards a major shake-up?
Old 28th January 2010, 21:43   #2
BHPian

Good news.
Hope Ford can sustain this profit and I think they are able to achieve this mainly due to the change in their protfolio and market line with more hybrid cars.
Old 29th January 2010, 12:19   #3
BHPian

Good news. Hope Figo succeeds and they bring their new Fiesta sedan soon to India.
Old 30th January 2010, 04:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

Ford deserves a pat o the back for the tough decisions it took and the way it conducted business in order to pull through the tough financial times.
GM and Chrysler got a lot of money from the tax-payers and then only they survived. If I were an American, I'd never buy a GM or Chrysler car, ever! Even if they make some of the most desirable cars ever made, they wouldn't have had my money, simply because I consider it unethical to run a business that needs that vast amount of tax-payers money to keep in afloat.

Ford sold some of the brands it pored money into (Jaguar LR and Aston were brands they wanted to kee, but just couldn't), tightened their belt ad soldiered on.

They won the car and truck of the year awards recently in North America and posted profits, now that's what I call sound business. Well done Ford!

I hope they start doing well in India too.

Last edited by Amartya : 30th January 2010 at 04:47.
Old 30th January 2010, 11:02   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Ford deserves a pat o the back ..
It sure does. Ford was the only American auto major that knew how to cater well-engineered cars to the rest of the world, from its Euro experience.
Old 30th January 2010, 11:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

There is a detailed article in NY times on how enamored the CEO is about Toyota Production system. He used it at Boeing and now at Ford. Irony is that Toyota is in recall soup.

Although Ford has good amount of cash, it still have to pay more than 1 billion as interest and has a lot of debt. Hope everyone comes out of this and we will see more investment in R&D and better cars.
Old 30th January 2010, 12:05   #7
Team-BHP Support

One thing's for sure, if Ford brings their new Fiesta to India within a year or so, their profits are bound to increase! The new Fiesta is such a fantastic car all round, it's bound to sell like hot cakes! There is no doubt about it! Ford, are you listening?
Old 30th January 2010, 12:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Good news.
Probably they will gain more in India once the Figo rolled out on the Road.
So hope to see more better results from FORD in the near future.
Old 30th January 2010, 14:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Considering the Fiesta batchback design and technology applied in the other markets, Figo is like an outdated hatchback without any exciting points on the design front, but a copy of lot of things from the fiesta sedan being sold in India.

If Ford can bring the same class of Fiesta hatchback thats sold in the other markets, Ford will have a major role to play in the similar segment that can cause a real head ache throughout the i20, Punto, Polo, Fabia line of hatchbacks.

Somewhere I read Ford has less than 5% share of the total auto market segment in India. Thats a tiny figure to talk about. Way to go Ford !!!
Old 28th January 2012, 19:34   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford finally makes a profit!

Ford Q4 (2011)operating profit slips to $1.1B on Europe, Asia losses!

Ford announces "its pretax operating earnings in the fourth quarter fell 15 percent to $1.1 billion, in part due to widening losses in Europe, as the company posted its third straight annual net profit.
The Asia Pacific Africa region swung to a fourth-quarter pretax operating loss of $83 million from a profit of $23 million a year earlier. The loss was due to the Thai floods, as well as higher costs for new products and investments for future growth. Ford is building seven new plants in the Asia Pacific region."

http://www.autonews.com/article/2012...#ixzz1klGcRPBZ

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks