Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2010, 23:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda/Toyota cars considered very boring by 2nd Gen NRI kids?

I have noticed something about second generation NRI kids. They all invariably consider Honda/Toyota cars very dull and boring. While their migrated fathers dutifully bought Civics/Corollas or Accords/Camrys ( depending on their budget ), their sons don't give these cars any importance at all and consider them very run of the mill. These kids seem to like European cars especially Beemers and Jags and mostly despice Jap cars. However, these kids had good words to say about Nissan and Mitsubishi. May be 300z and Evo made all the difference here. This is what I found out from my interaction from these US NRI kids. Anyone else noticed this?
Old 2nd February 2010, 23:34   #2
BHPian

I have a feeling this thread will get locked soon.

Not sure what is so special about NRI kids personal choice.
There are lot of kids in India who like all kinds of cars.

With all respect, i feel this topic is irrelevant.
Old 2nd February 2010, 23:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

I didn't say anywhere that something is special about NRI kids. What I highlighted was it is interesting to see a totally opposite view about these two brands which are so revered in in India. That's all. I don't know why it disturbed you so much that you wish it be locked. Isn't everyone entitled to his or her own opinion? It is more about Honda/Toyota cars than NRI kids.
Old 3rd February 2010, 00:33   #4
BHPian

2nd Gen NRI kids? What happened to 1st Gen NRI kids?

The answer, if you insist is probably that the said kids are more in line with the opinions of the mainstream in those countries, which is that Toyota and Honda are reliable but (or therefore) boring. That NRI kids are more eager to 'belong' may also form part of the reason.

But seriously, who cares about the automotive related opinions of NRI kids, that too of the 2nd generation variety.
Old 3rd February 2010, 00:56   #5
Team-BHP Support

well most of the US finds honda and toyota boring except a few models so why should nri kids think differently.
Old 3rd February 2010, 01:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

Why just the US quite a few of us here in India find Honda & Toyota boring. I for one am waiting for Mitsubishi to launch the New Lancer, Nissan to bring in the Maxima and for VW to upgrade the Jetta's engines. In fact I am awaiting Maruti's launch of Kizashi more eagerly than H & T's upcoming new launches.
Old 3rd February 2010, 01:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

This thread should be moved to 'shifting gears' section, if we at all want to discuss what the **th generation NRI kids think about cars in their 'home' market.

And if the thread is about perception of japanese cars in the US, then the thread title should have been named accordingly.
Old 3rd February 2010, 01:48   #8
Team-BHP Support

Even I find toyota and honda cars boring, but i had to buy honda in US because of the resale value. So I am not sure if it has anything to do with NRI kids, 1st or 2nd generation. Most of the people would think these cars to be boring once they get a taste of the european cars or even cars from Ford which are sporty with great handling.
Old 3rd February 2010, 02:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

@sagar now you know what the 'C' stands for in ABCD.

Actually, most young people in the USA dont want to buy Toyotas because they are bland and boring. That is the reason Toyota launched the 'Scion' brand.

I find no such reactions towards Honda. The Civic coupe is one of the most lusted after car among teenagers here. One they can actually afford.

Last edited by Mpower : 3rd February 2010 at 07:02.
Old 3rd February 2010, 02:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

I wouldn't say this for others, but my 1st choice for a car wasn't a Honda or Toyota.I'm glad I got the mazda 3, and now I see many 2nd generation NRIs going in for Mitsubishi/Mazda/Nissan cars, or to some extent American brands or European ones.Even a 16 year old with no driving experience wants something that has power & stands apart from the usual Jap/Korean models.
Premium brands seem to be norm off late, with Inifiniti, Lexus & Acura being the 1st line of choice for these youngsters.
Old 3rd February 2010, 22:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Khoj and Nitin, that's my point. Nissan/Mitsu and Mazda make more exciting cars but the extent of applause showered on Honda and Toyota in India is too much. No one denies they make good cars but exciting they hardly are. Except Civic of course. I haven't excatly done any kinda survey on NRI kids. Being car crazy guy I often ask people what their favorite cars are and during casual discussion about cars with these kids of relatives, here on vacation, this is what I found. And since what I found is in stark contrast to what is held of these two brands in India, I put it down here. Nothing more. With all my due apologies to H/T lovers. The idea is not to demean any brand(s).
Old 3rd February 2010, 22:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

Maybe these kids don't have to worry about money, value and reliability like their parents did?
Old 4th February 2010, 01:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Maybe these kids don't have to worry about money, value and reliability like their parents did?
Mitsubishi, Mazda & VW cost less than comparative models from Honda & Toyota and Nissan is at par. As for reliability all of the above mentioned vehicles are at the same levels in terms of reliability & upkeep costs.

However, if my memory serves me right it is Honda and Toyota that are recalling their cars as I type this out. So, they just might be smarter than the previous generation by thinking outside the HaT (Honda and Toyota, explained purely for the parents benefit)

Last edited by khoj : 4th February 2010 at 01:28.
Old 4th February 2010, 02:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Im not sure coz most of my cousins who are NRIs own cars like Prius, CRX, Prelude, Accord, Corolla etc.

Its the NRI uncles that drive cars like the Passat, Jag S Type , AM Vantage, S500, BMW 7 Series etc

Shan2nu
Old 4th February 2010, 02:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

As a norm, Gm cars are the last option even among the 'hip' NRI kids. Its true that the 'Uncles' (apt name given by Shan2nu) prefer VW over other makes such as Mitsu / Kia/ Hyundai.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks