Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2010, 10:10   #1
BHPian

BMW's Stunning new concept: The GRAN COUPE

BMW presents the concept of a new 4-door coupe. The BMW Concept Gran Coupé underscores the outstanding design expertise of the German premium automobile manufacturer.

With an exclusive Design Night on the evening of the first press day at Auto China in Beijing (April 23rd to May 2nd 2010), BMW provides an in-depth insight into its design philosophy and development strategy. The program of the BMW Design Night is modular in structure and presents extensive background information on the premium automobile manufacturer’s innovative design culture. In addition to highlighting the long versions of the BMW 5 Series developed specially for the Chinese market, the main focus is on an elegant 4-door vehicle with striking dynamic proportions: the BMW Concept Gran Coupé.

The concept study on display symbolises the outstanding design expertise of BMW. The BMW Concept Gran Coupé concentrates the fundamental values of the brand. Its body design authentically captures a sense of superior dynamic performance and high-quality elegance. The shaping style, which follows a coherent pattern down to the last detail, convincingly visualises BMW’s philosophy as an automobile manufacturer. As with the Concept CS 2007, BMW once again sets new benchmarks in the design of 4-door coupes with a distinctive sporty character.

Based on a powerful tradition in this segment, the BMW Concept Gran Coupé carries the essence of brand values and the genes of BMW design into the future. The concept shows the classic features of all BMW coupes: the long wheelbase, the vaulted bonnet with forward-pointing lines, the set-back greenhouse, the flat silhouette, the coupe-style roof line and the short front overhang reflect the dynamic potential of the vehicle. The surface structures and the fact that the design quality is geared towards perfection illustrate the aspiration of the brand BMW to build 4-door high-performance coupes with the sportiest proportions and the most elegant design.

In the BMW Concept Gran Coupé, BMW presents the vision of a 4-door vehicle which combines the exclusivity of a Gran Turismo with the fascination of a high-performance sports car. The design of the concept study underscores the expertise of the brand BMW in the development of vehicles with a distinctive sporty character which offer space for more than two occupants. This reflects the particular quality of the BMW Group design philosophy, which consists in precisely and authentically translating the specific values of product substance into an aesthetically convincing shaping style. The design process is set through with a passion for aesthetic appeal and dynamic performance, precision and perfection.

This is how the uncompromising premium aspiration of a BMW Group product, the unmistakable style of the brand BMW and the precisely defined character of each model are given concrete form.
Attached Thumbnails
New 8-series in the offing?-1.jpg  

New 8-series in the offing?-2.jpg  

New 8-series in the offing?-3.jpg  

New 8-series in the offing?-4.jpg  

New 8-series in the offing?-5.jpg  

New 8-series in the offing?-6.jpg  

New 8-series in the offing?-7.jpg  

New 8-series in the offing?-8.jpg  

New 8-series in the offing?-9.jpg  

New 8-series in the offing?-10.jpg  

New 8-series in the offing?-11.jpg  

New 8-series in the offing?-12.jpg  

New 8-series in the offing?-13.jpg  

Old 24th April 2010, 10:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

New 8-series in the offing?

BMW Gran Coupe

The BMW Group took us by surprise today with the world premiere of the Concept Gran Coupe. The Bavarian automaker calls it a four-door coupe which is fancy marketing talk for a saloon with sportier body proportions.

The car looks extremely production ready and it could very well enter the market within a year or two offering BMW a competitor the Porsche Panamera, the next Mercedes-Benz CLS and the upcoming Audi A7, possibly with the 8-Series badge on the boot.

The five-meter long Gran Coupé, which is a follow up to BMW's much more aggressive and unique 2007 Concept CS, comes with a very low body height of just under 1,400mm making it up to 100mm flatter than the 5 Series or the 7 Series sedans.

BMW also talks about "striking dynamic proportions", "sporty, flat silhouette" and "sculptural shaping" that fuse "the exclusivity of a Gran Turismo with the fascination of a high-performance sports car".

At 1.4-meters high, the car is 10-cm shorter in height than the 5er and 7er sedan. Current rumors suggest that the car is already approved for production and will be marketed as the BMW 6-Series Gran Coupe to rival the Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class, a car which BMW does not directly compete against at this time.

Here, the car's "vaulted bonnet" blends well with the wide kidney-shaped grille. The rounded rhombus-shaped headlights sit well above the bumper and create a sporty styling element. This is accentuated by the split bumper with large air intakes with black mesh grille.

In back, the nearly five-meter long car has more conservative styling, with a somewhat short and squared bumper. The car has a wide LED third brake light mounted above the glass, which matches the LED rear light clusters. Quad tailpipes are set into the bumper as well.

Here are the pictures. I think it looks fantastic. I especially love the wheels and the car looks stunning in profile.
Attached Thumbnails
New 8-series in the offing?-1.jpg  

New 8-series in the offing?-2.jpg  

New 8-series in the offing?-3.jpg  

New 8-series in the offing?-4.jpg  

New 8-series in the offing?-5.jpg  

New 8-series in the offing?-6.jpg  

Last edited by shamik.bose : 24th April 2010 at 10:57.
Old 24th April 2010, 11:26   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Very nice looking car there
Old 24th April 2010, 11:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Stunning is the word. Wonderfully proportionate. Fantastic profile. Love low slung cars.
Old 24th April 2010, 12:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Indeed a beautiful offering from BMW. The rear looks Linea-ish.
Old 24th April 2010, 12:25   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

The 8 series has been my fav BMW yet, I hope this one makes it to the production line.
However the front end needs to be redesigned not to look this similar to the F10 5 series !
Old 24th April 2010, 12:26   #7
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Probably the best looking 4-door coupe. I seriously hope BMW produces this car asap.
Incredible looking low-slung proportions.
Old 24th April 2010, 12:31   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Indeed a beautiful offering from BMW. The rear looks Linea-ish.
Is it a compliment for BMW? They will commit suicide hearing this
Old 24th April 2010, 12:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

I think this one hints at the face of the new 6-Series. And considering BMW have gone ahead with more unconventional cars like the X6 and the 5GT in the recent past,this one should get the green light soon!

That said,its one handsome machine.Low,wide with a classic side profile. A truly good looking Beemer after a long,long time. This would make Bangle proud!
Old 24th April 2010, 12:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Finally BMW got it right....after horrible GT and pig faced bimmers.Looks fab,just loved it.
Old 24th April 2010, 14:01   #11
BHPian

She looks gorgeous!!
I'm sure white would look equally brilliant on her.
Btw, I'm curious about this particular setup of headlamps, can someone enlighten me about their terminology and functionality?
Thanks!
Old 24th April 2010, 14:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Awesome!!. I have no words to describe pic no 3. It blew me away.
Old 24th April 2010, 14:13   #13
BHPian

@ agspins: "Pig faced bimmers"!! I'd always wanted to coin something on similar lines ever since the launch of the new 7, but just couldn't coz it was so damn ugly front-faced that my thinking process used to halt
The 8 however, is a beautiful car.
Old 24th April 2010, 14:20   #14
Team-BHP Support

Why did the move away from the old AMBER angel eyes?

The current white ones dont match up to it IMO!
Old 24th April 2010, 15:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Excellent, now this is how a car should look like. Side profile is perfect. Hope it to production as it is.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks