Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2005, 20:30   #1
Team-BHP Support

Audi S8 - am speechless, can say only one thing - Ronin 2!!!

Audi has chosen Tokyo to launch its top-end high-performance S8 saloon, which will go on sale in Europe mid-2006 with a price tag starting from €97,000.

Aiming to take on the Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG and BMW's most powerful 7-Series saloons, Audi has fitted a 5.2-litre V10 engine developed from the 5.0 V10 in the Lamborghini Gallardo, good for 450bhp and 398lb ft of torque and featuring the FSI direct-injection technology. Up to 90% of the torque is available at just 2,300rpm, peaking at 3,500rpm, though peak power is delivered at a high-revving 7000rpm. The S8 is capable of accelerating 0-60mph in 5.1 seconds, though its top speed is electronically limited to 155mph. Fuel consumption, should this be a concern, is a relatively frugal 20.3mpg, aided by the S8's lightweight aluminium body and structure
As expected, the S8 has quattro four-wheel drive, modified from that in the A8 to work with the extra power and torque; this has a 40:60 front:rear bias under normal driving conditions, but up to 85% of power can be diverted to the rear wheels and up to 65% to the front, via a mechanical central differential. Six-speed tiptronic clutchless transmission is fitted, with a lower final-drive ratio than in the standard A8, giving stronger acceleration in sixth gear.

Its adaptive air suspension has firmer settings and steering has also been modified, with a more direct variable-assistance steering ratio. The S8 sits 20mm lower than other A8s, with ground clearance varying from 125mm in "comfort" mode to 95mm at motorway speeds. The electronic dynamic stability control (DSC) has also been specifically tuned for the S8.

Standard specification includes unique S-design 20-inch alloy wheels, with 265/35 tyres and ventilated brake discs all round (385mm up front and 335mm to the rear). Brake calipers are black-painted and feature an S8 badge up front; ceramic composite brakes are optional.

Exterior appearance is subtly sported-up with S8 badging and chrome-finished vertical grille slats - the S8 features the latest single-frame Audi grille as on the A3, A4 and A6, with air inlets in the front apron. S8-spotters can also look out for logos on the wheel arches, the aluminium strips on the door handles and aluminium-effect exterior mirror, plus four ellipsoidal exhaust tailpipes and a small bootlid spoiler. There's also an exclusive paint finish on offer, pearl-effect Daytona Grey. LED daytime running lights and xenon headlights with dynamic cornering beams and static turning lights are standard (the Xenon Plus package optional in other A8s).

S-specific interior decor includes two-tone seat upholstery and silver headlining, S8 door sill trims and brushed aluminium or carbonfibre inlays, a three-spoke sports steering wheel, aluminium-effect gearshift paddles, white-dialled instruments and a leather/aluminium gear selector knob.

Final specification - and pricing - for the UK hasn't yet been confirmed, but German-market S8s will come with keyless entry and starter button, sound-insulating double-glazed windows, heated front and rear seats, DVD navigation and a surround-sound audio system. A fully-digital 14-speaker, 1100-watt Bang & Olufsen set-up is an optional upgrade.

http://www.channel4.com/4car/news/ne...?news_id=13220
Old 19th October 2005, 21:55   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Sweet.
God if you are listening, i haven't asked for much but if you could, could you make me win the lottery.
97K euro means roughly 97l OTR which is apprx. 20L more then the 4.2L right.
Waiting for performance figures.
Engine sounds like it's to die for.
Old 19th October 2005, 22:02   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

A lambo engine in a Audi A8 Salon = 4 seater MAYHEM!
Old 20th October 2005, 00:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
Sweet.

97K euro means roughly 97l OTR which is apprx. 20L more then the 4.2L right.
Waiting for performance figures.
97l? If thats what you get with the lottery, you'll have to win 'n' number of those. 97Keuros means exaclty 5,234,598.78 INR as of now.
Old 20th October 2005, 08:33   #5
Team-BHP Support

I still think Ronin - the way the old S8 prowls the riverside prior to the arms deal going wrong and the way it hurtles down the old streets in Nice. This one will smoke anything in its way - lets pray for Ronin 2 S8 vs E60 M5 ....alas the director died a couple of years back
Old 20th October 2005, 13:24   #6
BHPian

Well here are some pics of the beast :

Enjoy!

These are a few from the Tokyo Motor Show:

Cheers!!

P
Old 20th October 2005, 15:12   #7
BHPian

The *sound* of the car in Ronin was the thing to die for.. Hearing that engine roar in full Dolby DTS glory gives a massive adrenalin rush
Old 25th October 2005, 02:15   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey
The *sound* of the car in Ronin was the thing to die for.. Hearing that engine roar in full Dolby DTS glory gives a massive adrenalin rush
i like Jean Renos old Merc doing that rear wheel spin reversing out of the parking - start of the shootings.

how do u do that - can someone explain. i tried but it does not spin that way. i mean the spin part with less rear movement in actual going reverse.
Old 25th October 2005, 08:59   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u
i like Jean Renos old Merc doing that rear wheel spin reversing out of the parking - start of the shootings.

how do u do that - can someone explain. i tried but it does not spin that way. i mean the spin part with less rear movement in actual going reverse.
Called a J turn, bung the gear into reverse, slam the throttle and yank the wheel very sharply. You need a very powerful car like that 6.9 litre Merc to do that!
Old 25th October 2005, 16:38   #10
BHPian

Amazing car no doubt...but am I the only one in the world who dislikes the new Audi grilles ?
Seems like a gaping mouth with some nasty teeth in it

2fast4u, what car were you trying that on?
as ajmat said, doubt you can achieve those tricks on a low powered car.

97E = 97L = LOL
Old 25th October 2005, 21:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

What abt Transporter 2 guys. The Audi A8 is used in that movie rite??
Old 29th October 2005, 23:28   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay
Amazing car no doubt...but am I the only one in the world who dislikes the new Audi grilles ?
Seems like a gaping mouth with some nasty teeth in it

2fast4u, what car were you trying that on?
as ajmat said, doubt you can achieve those tricks on a low powered car.

97E = 97L = LOL
ya i believe thats the REASON. low powered car.
Was trying it on the Altima. Its a 2.4 turbo. But i believe it may be having more torque as its an inline 6. Just let me know if i can try still. I do get wheel spins in 2nd and 3rd so when i am trying Reverse spin
either
my car is underpowered or
my technique in slamming is a bit wrong.

guys i hope trying such a thing once in awhile wont open my gaskets.

Most Viewed