Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2010, 14:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Range Rover turns 40

The Range Rover will celebrate its 40th birthday on 17 June, 2010. One of the most significant vehicles in the history of motoring, the Range Rover was the world's first vehicle as good on-road as off-road. It was the first fully capable luxury 4x4 and was a milestone in the development of the SUV (Sport Utility Vehicle).
"Land Rover has a unique history of product innovation. But the Range Rover probably remains the most historically significant vehicle we have ever launched. It is one of the most important vehicles in the history of motoring." Phil Popham, Land Rover managing director.

There have been three generations of Range Rover. The original, now known as the Classic, went on sale in 1970 and continued in production, with numerous upgrades and a multiplicity of variants, for just over 25 years.

The second-generation vehicle, known as the P38a, went on sale in 1994 and was replaced in 2001 by the current model. The continuing success of the Range Rover ensured that other premium makers jumped into the booming luxury SUV market. The latest version has enjoyed higher annual sales than any previous models and continues to be popular around the world. Sold around the world, from London to Los Angeles, Sydney to Shanghai, Turin to Tokyo, the Range Rover remains the ultimate choice for the luxury SUV customer.

"The Range Rover is really four vehicles in one," says managing director Phil Popham. "It's a seven-days-a-week luxury motor car; a leisure vehicle that will range far and wide on the highways and noways of the world; a high performance car for long distance travel; and a working cross-country vehicle."

From princes to politicians, from rock gods to rock climbers, from footballers to farmers, the Range Rover has always appealed to a diverse group of customers.

A second model line, the Range Rover Sport, was launched in 2005, aimed at more sports-oriented driver-focused customers. It has been a great success, and in 2007 was Land Rover's biggest selling vehicle worldwide.

Later this year, a further member of the Range Rover family will be added, taking the portfolio to three model lines. The new vehicle will be smaller, lighter and more fuel efficient, tying in perfectly with the Range Rover brand's commitment to environmental sustainability. Yet it will be no less premium, no less luxurious, and no less special than the other Range Rover models.

Range Rover turns 40-138014.jpg

Source :WheelsUnplugged - India's Leading Automobile News Website |

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd June 2010 at 15:34. Reason: Image moved to TBHP server. Please see the instructions on correctly uploading a picture in the Announcements section. Thanks.
Old 2nd June 2010, 19:29   #2
Team-BHP Support

I remember going as an 8 year old to Earls Court motor show to see the Range Rover on its launch. I feel old!
Old 2nd June 2010, 21:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Superd in road,exemplary off road is comfortable both with muck and mink coats.Add to it a dollop of british upper lip class and you have the rangie!

OT: This should be in international section.
Old 2nd June 2010, 23:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for starting this thread. I think the Range Rover is one of the best vehicles ever produced, and like you mentioned, it has the ultimate balance of on-road luxury and off-road capability.
It's a pity that in England, the environmentalists have made it hard for people to own this vehicle, by symbolizing it as a gas guzzling monster. I speak from actually talking to my British friends who echoed this sentiment.
Old 2nd June 2010, 23:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

What's most noteworthy is that the basic shape hasn't changed since its 40 years of existence,and still continues to enthrall with its class and elegance.That my friends,is a perfect example of timeless automotive design!
Old 3rd June 2010, 00:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
What's most noteworthy is that the basic shape hasn't changed since its 40 years of existence,and still continues to enthrall with its class and elegance.That my friends,is a perfect example of timeless automotive design!
True. The basic overall design has been almost the same after all these years. It has evolved just like the Porsche 911 has. Though it not be as flashy to look at as some of the other SUVs on the road today, the Range Rover has character that none of these can match. Superb on and off the road.

Look at the Vogues from 25 years ago. They still look so awesome. The Range Rover is a legend and a true icon of British Motoring History. I'm glad to see it in India today. Love the picture in the first post.

If there's one SUV I would ever want to buy, this is the one.
Old 3rd June 2010, 11:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

The best 4X4xfar?? It surely is. Classic timeless design. Move over Q7s, The Merc Gs and the the Cayennes. This is the car that defines what a big luxury SUV is all all about. I generally don't like SUVs but if ever I have the money and want to buy a luxury SUV it will be the Range Rover without a doubt.
Old 17th June 2010, 14:45   #8
Team-BHP Support

A Very Happy 40th Birthday to this absolutely fantastic vehicle. It's very easily my favourite SUV. Right from the first time I saw one in the early 80s, I've wanted one. The Classic with the Rover V8 still remains my favourite.
Old 17th June 2010, 15:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

I love the the original Classic – released in 1970 under British Leyland ownership – which used a platform so good it was produced until 1994.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp ll.bmp (82.1 KB, 151 views)

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 17th June 2010 at 15:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks