Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2010, 13:26   #1
BANNED

New K-series (K14B) engine from Suzuki

Source: If it ain't broke ... - Motoring - Lifestyle - Macarthur Chronicle Wollondilly Edition

"
Under the skin changes are extensive starting with a new 1.4-litre engine offering good performance and economy but with less power and torque.
Fuel efficiency was a focus for Suzuki engineers when they were planning a replacement for Swift. The new, slightly smaller capacity engine is good for 5.5 litres/100km and produces 132g/km of carbon dioxide.
That represents a 13 per cent improvement over the old engine and makes it the most economical naturally aspirated engine in the class.
The new K14B engine produces 70kW and 130Nm and is an undersquare design with a torque producing longer stroke than the superseded M15A engine.
It also features electronic throttle control to give better launch feel and overtaking performance.
Suzuki engineers concentrated on weight reduction as part of the new engine development, and the new K14B comes complete with a lightweight plastic cylinder head cover, lighter pistons and narrower crankshaft bearings.
Other key features of the new engine include an aluminium alloy cylinder head, a centre plug pentroof combustion chamber, variable valve timing, cross flow intake and exhaust layout, and direct drive valve train for increased rigidity."

70KW = nearly 95HP. Will be a good engine for new Swift. So, will it come to India in the new Swift and DZire?
Old 28th December 2010, 13:32   #2
BHPian

Re: New K-series (K14B) engine from Suzuki

I dont think it will make it to India, they already have the 1.2L here and the excise benefits will not apply to this engine
Old 28th December 2010, 13:44   #3
BHPian

The New Swift will have the 1.2 L Petrol Engine with Dual VTVT. (Maybe this was the reason why i10 launched VTVT engine in great haste, to get the title of "first VTVT small car")

The speculation is rife that New swift will be launched with a all new VW Diesel Mill, in the place of the National Engine (Fiat MJD), and this time, there would be Zdi in the Swift D.

The MJD engine may be pushed onto less expensive models like Estilo / Wagon R or the upcoming "Designed in India" model that will be launched by MSIL in the year 2012.
Old 28th December 2010, 13:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think the K14 will replace the current 1.5 in international market , with a higher set of tuning ! As of yet , I see no chance for the engine in India !
Old 28th December 2010, 13:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

I hope to see K14B in 'all new Dzire' based on 'all new Swift'. May be I'm expecting too much .

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyasagar View Post
The speculation is rife that New swift will be launched with a all new VW Diesel Mill, in the place of the National Engine (Fiat MJD), and this time, there would be Zdi in the Swift D.
VW diesel mill replacing Fiat's MJD in Swift/DZire? Why will they do that? As if VW is not going to charge them any royalty!

Quote:
The MJD engine may be pushed onto less expensive models like Estilo / Wagon R or the upcoming "Designed in India" model that will be launched by MSIL in the year 2012.
MJD in Estilo and WagonR? I doubt the engine bay is big enough to fit MJD in it! Unless they undergo nose job like in case of Alto K10.

Last edited by HammerHead : 28th December 2010 at 14:01.
Old 28th December 2010, 14:16   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
I hope to see K14B in 'all new Dzire' based on 'all new Swift'. May be I'm expecting too much .

VW diesel mill replacing Fiat's MJD in Swift/DZire? Why will they do that? As if VW is not going to charge them any royalty!

MJD in Estilo and WagonR? I doubt the engine bay is big enough to fit MJD in it! Unless they undergo nose job like in case of Alto K10.
VW now owns 20% stake in Suzuki. There would be Minimum / No Royalty involved here. Further, there are plans of Joint dealerships between VW and MSIL as well.

In MSIL, the importance is slightly shifting towards R&D Competency from the trusted Quality Mantra, overheard people say that the New German Bosses need R&D competency established in MSIL in addition to Quality.

And regarding MJD in lesser expensive cars, wait and watch my friend..!
Old 28th December 2010, 16:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

The 1.4 mill might find its way to the hood of the SX4. I don't think this will be shod in the new Swift unless they plan to sell both the current and next gen Swifts side by side.
Old 28th December 2010, 16:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The New Swift will have the 1.2 L Petrol Engine with Dual VTVT. (Maybe this was the reason why i10 launched VTVT engine in great haste, to get the title of "first VTVT small car")

If the news regarding the mjd being swapped for a VW heart then hope they don't consider the lethargic 3 pot 70 ps engine of the polo. If they do then new Swift owners(diesel) are going to be disappointed.

But I dont see this happening.
The 1.3 engine has already been announced in the markets where the new swift is available and the national engine should continue to stay in the swift.

What i see happening is Lower models such as the ritz or the wagonR may get heart's from VW in the future.

As far as petrol's go. VW cars will probably run with the fantastic petrol lineup from Suzuki.
Old 28th December 2010, 17:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
VW now owns 20% stake in Suzuki. There would be Minimum / No Royalty involved here. Further, there are plans of Joint dealerships between VW and MSIL as well.
I'm aware of VW's 20% stakes in MSIL but does that qualify for 'no royalty'? IIRC Suzuki owns 50 or 55% stakes in MSIL and still MSIL pays royalty to Suzuki Japan, correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
And regarding MJD in lesser expensive cars, wait and watch my friend..!
Lets wait and watch!!

Last edited by HammerHead : 28th December 2010 at 17:19.
Old 29th December 2010, 01:19   #10
BHPian

My thoughts:-

Maruti won't consider VW diesel engine in this stage, may be after the agreement with Fiat gets over they might consider VW engines. Moreover VW has 1.2 and 1.6 diesel engine in India, I don't think so they have any 1.3 or 1.4 to offer. If Maruti starts offering VW engines then every customer would incline towards Martui due to their large presence and dealership/service network which might in turn hinder VW car sales(though VW has SOLID BUILD as their selling point)

As per my knowledge, VW would bank on Maruti to gain its expertise on vast dealership network and knowledge of Indian market and not otherwise as Suzuki has not yet come under VW fold.
Old 29th December 2010, 01:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
offering good performance .... but with less power and torque.
how can that possibly be
Old 29th December 2010, 10:30   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
I'm aware of VW's 20% stakes in MSIL but does that qualify for 'no royalty'? IIRC Suzuki owns 50 or 55% stakes in MSIL and still MSIL pays royalty to Suzuki Japan, correct me if I'm wrong.

Lets wait and watch!!
You are very correct HH. Having ownership stake in Suzuki in no way can rule out the Royalty. They cannot share technology for free, beats the 'arms length transaction' concept.. These are two distinctive companies and there has to be proper sale and purchase transaction.
Old 29th December 2010, 11:59   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
how can that possibly be
They are saying "good performance", not "better performance".
Old 29th December 2010, 17:18   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
70KW = nearly 95HP. Will be a good engine for new Swift.
I doubt that's going to happen as Maruti will lose the excise benefits of the 1.2L petrol (which BTW it still doesn't share with the customer).

Quote:
The speculation is rife that New swift will be launched with a all new VW Diesel Mill
Again, I'd say this is merely speculation. The Fiat 1.3 MJD would probably work out cheaper for MUL, and better at performance too! Plus, the current VW diesels sold in India have a large import content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
they plan to sell both the current and next gen Swifts side by side.
They look too similar to be sold side-by-side. Maruti won't make that mistake.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks