Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2005, 11:23   #1
BHPian

BMW working on a supercar

Saw this article on the latest Car and Driver magazine. BMW is working on a new Z series supercar called the Z10. Here is a scan of the page for your reading pleasure.

Old 26th December 2005, 13:52   #2
BHPian

I personally think that that mock will not be the design as it looks like the work of Chris Bangle who designed all the current models for BMW. The world was not happy with his designs which accounted for a lot of loss in sales and BMW already made a statement saying that the next 7 Series will look completly different. This is why I think that they will not let him design their supercar. Plus its about tim they dseigned one as the BMW model range cannot match that different options that Mercedes curretnly have.
Old 26th December 2005, 15:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

Well , it resembles DC's 'Tarzan'!
Hope they come out with something really good.
Old 26th December 2005, 20:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Im sure it'll look a thousand times better than that bad rendering.

Yay, another supercar.......
Old 27th December 2005, 10:30   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The world was not happy with his designs which accounted for a lot of loss in sales
Actually, BMW has had record sales in the last 5 years.

I hate Chris Bangles designs too!

GTO
Old 28th December 2005, 04:31   #6
BHPian

Well, guys don't forget that supercars rarely look good. Supercar is not about looks. Its the technology and speed that these cars boast more than looks. I think it is difficult to build a good looking car with excellent aerodynamics. In supercar world, form follows function. So, you never know Z10 could turn out to be ugly but still qualify as a supercar.
Old 28th December 2005, 06:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsxei
Well, guys don't forget that supercars rarely look good.
How could you ever say that man?
Old 28th December 2005, 08:36   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
How could you ever say that man?
Ok I don't want to argue this as looks are subjective. For example, I think that the new Aston Martin V8 Vantage looks way hotter than a Veyron. Compared to it, the Veyron is ugly. The Veyron is still a supercar but the Vantage is just an expensive sports car. What I was trying to convey was that it is not just looks that makes a supercar appealing to buyers. It is the performance and technology. It does not necessarily have to look like the best thing to come out of a fashion design house in order to sell.

Last edited by tsxei : 28th December 2005 at 08:38.
Old 28th December 2005, 11:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Ok, so going by what you are saying, do you think the Murcielago, Zonda, Koenigsegg are ugly? I dont.
The Veyron isnt drop-dead gorgeous I agree, but the only cars I feel that is really ugly are the Edonis and the Grumpert Apollo.

Would you call the Mclaren f1 ugly? The ferrari 575?

This si not for argument's sake, I just want to know whjat you think about these cars...
Old 28th December 2005, 18:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsxei
Well, guys don't forget that supercars rarely look good. Supercar is not about looks. Its the technology and speed that these cars boast more than looks. I think it is difficult to build a good looking car with excellent aerodynamics. In supercar world, form follows function. So, you never know Z10 could turn out to be ugly but still qualify as a supercar.
hmmm . . . . . looks are subjective. . . no doubt about that. . .but then there are generally accpeted 'good looks'.
no one .. .would say that a mclaren or a f 40 or a Zonda or a murcielago or a CCR or a SALEEN is ugly. ya you may say its RAW in case of F 40 but all of other are drop dead beautifull. . . . . really really beautifull. ANd if you notice all the cars are in its structre shapped in the same way its becase all of these have to be Aerodynamic to have the performace that they have. no doubt there have been ugly looking vehicles that performed well. . but more often that not its the other way round.

cheers
jay
Old 28th December 2005, 18:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

anyways back to the topic -

the Z10 will be most likely be powered by the M5 V10 tuned to develop power in the region 800 horses ..read that it should have a bhp/ton of 450 ...

my question.. is this BMW's first mid engined project or have they had Mid engines cars before ?
Old 28th December 2005, 20:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

In 1971, BMW came out with the M1, which was a mid-engined car designed to compete in the group C races I think.

It was the ancestor of todays' M cars and was a resounding failiure. Costing 35000 pounds sterling when a Ferrari 308 cost 2/3 rds of that didnt push its sales.........
It was powered by a beautiful 277 bhp 3.5 litre straight six engine.

BMW did play around with the idea of a mid-engined supercar in the nineties with the Nazca series, but nothing came out of that.

Last edited by islero : 28th December 2005 at 20:26.
Old 28th December 2005, 20:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
the Z10 will be most likely be powered by the M5 V10 tuned to develop power in the region 800 horses ..read that it should have a bhp/ton of 450 ...
800? Why cant they try to reduce weight and improve aerodynmics, instead pof just increasing the power? Anyone can increase the power just like that, one of the purposes of supercars is technology advancement.........
Old 28th December 2005, 21:30   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
Ok, so going by what you are saying, do you think the Murcielago, Zonda, Koenigsegg are ugly? I dont.
The Veyron isnt drop-dead gorgeous I agree, but the only cars I feel that is really ugly are the Edonis and the Grumpert Apollo.

Would you call the Mclaren f1 ugly? The ferrari 575?

This si not for argument's sake, I just want to know whjat you think about these cars...
I am not saying that all supercars are ugly. I said that they rarely look good. I think the Zonda, 575, Enzo and Saleen are not good looking cars. I also think the Murcielago, Koenigsegg and McLaren F1 are good looking cars. But it doesn't mean that I don't like the Zonda or 575 or Enzo or Saleen. They are supercars that make you to look beyond the looks and see what they really are. They don't have to look good in order for the enthusiasts to appreciate them. I would still lust over these cars eventhough I am not a great fan of their looks.
Old 28th December 2005, 22:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

The performance might be good, but where have all the classy BMW looks gone!! The old BMW's looked wonderful, until Chris tried out his art

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks