Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2011, 06:12   #1
BHPian

EVO X will be the last of the Mitsubishi EVO series

Quote:
I’ve just spent an engaging half-hour in the company of Gayu Eusegi, Mitsubishi’s global product director.

Mostly we talked about the new Global Small Concept, which will be built in Thailand and sized somewhere between a Toyota Aygo and the Colt supermini. It’ll go on UK sale in 2012, effectively replacing the Colt in the line-up.

But also he told me some news, which seemed to surprise a few Mitsubishi Europe bods as much as it did me.

The Lancer Evolution X, Eusegi told me, will be the last Evo. “There is still a demand [for the car],” he said, “but we must stop.” Eyebrow up.

“Our influence now is EV technology,” Eusegi said, adding that the decision was a “policy change”.

It seems Mitsubishi, which is going to introduce eight full electric or hybrid cars by 2015, has decided its image is about lowering CO2, not making lurid replicas of rally cars that don’t go top-level rallying any more.

Eusegi said that customers would find it “easier to understand” what Mitsubishi was about if it was no longer in this motorsport-inspired market.

He seemed to put the rumoured diesel hybrid Evo replacement to bed, too. So the X will be the last Evolution model? “Yes. Maybe the world can change, and maybe someday we can do a motor race by electric vehicles,” said Eusegi. “Maybe then we can enter the market again.”

Until then, prepare yourselves for the end of an era.
Source - Autocar.co.uk
Attached Thumbnails
EVO X will be the last of the Mitsubishi EVO series-mitsubishi_lancerevox_132.jpg  

Old 3rd March 2011, 06:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: EVO X will be the last of the Mitsubishi EVO series

I just read this news in Autocar UK and Autoblog sites. What a sad decision this is going to be for Evo fans and loyalists across the world? With its shattering performance and brilliant handling, the Lancer Evo series have been giving the Porsches and Ferraris a run for their money.

I just hope this doesn't turn out to be a disastrous decision for Mitsubishi as the Lancer Evo is amongst the most recognizable car brands worldwide. The fact that its also a bestseller for Mitsubishi doesn't help things either.
Old 3rd March 2011, 08:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: EVO X will be the last of the Mitsubishi EVO series

Mitsubishi also seem to be following Subaru albeit a bit late. Subaru decided to change the iconic Impreza from a sedan to hatch to reach out to more people in the market and Mitsubishi also seems to be doing the same by going the EV route.

Sad day for Motorsports Buff! I was so hoping that one day I'll lay my hands on their the Impreza or the Evo as my daily drive but looks like that dream may just remain unfulfilled.

Cheers
Old 3rd March 2011, 15:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

No more Evo?

At least in the US, although the text suggests that they're going to stop the platform as a whole.

DailyTech - Mitsubishi Kills the Evo, Will Focus on Electric Cars

EDIT: Wonder how I couldn't find this thread in my search a while back. Apologies for the duplicate topic!

Regards,
spadix

Last edited by aah78 : 3rd March 2011 at 21:37. Reason: Merged with existing.
Old 3rd March 2011, 16:49   #5
BHPian

What!!!!
This is such a rude shock. I have always been such a huge fan of the Evo and always will be.
Some would call me crazy or stupid but I have loved the car more than Porsches and Ferraris.

The end of an era....sigh
Old 3rd March 2011, 16:58   #6
BHPian

Well if they do put an end to the evo series, it would be a heartbreak. But all good things must come to an end. The evo has had a good run and maybe they could come up with something even better.

So one more dream car has been struck from my wish list.
Old 3rd March 2011, 17:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Noo!!

I was planning to buy Evo when I had saved enough!!
I too prefer them over Porsches and Ferraris.

Really a sad decision!! :(
Old 3rd March 2011, 17:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

I would look at the positive possibilities from this!
Maybe our very own HM, will buy out all the dies/tools/designs from Mitsu. and start full assembly of the EVO here at Kolkotta! And they would possibily continue producing the car for 50 years aka Amby!
And then come out with a CX variant to save on duties!
Hope this happens in some form.
Old 3rd March 2011, 17:14   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Maybe our very own HM, will buy out all the dies/tools/designs from Mitsu. and start full assembly of the EVO here at Kolkotta! And they would possibily continue producing the car for 50 years aka Amby!
HaHa. That sure is an optimistic point of view. In that manner we could have a cheaper EVO!

Think of it - bullet proofed EVOs snaking their way into the assemblies and parliament.
Old 3rd March 2011, 17:28   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Most probably it would be Chinese guys who would do this in reality. They normally do that with phased out Japanese models.

There was a rumor that next EVO will have a hybrid, did not expect a discontinuation. I am sure there would be an appeal to Mitsu from all the EVO fans all over the world.

Lancer model line up will still continue, may also get a better Ralliart version as there won't be an EVO.
Old 3rd March 2011, 17:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
HaHa. That sure is an optimistic point of view. In that manner we could have a cheaper EVO!

Think of it - bullet proofed EVOs snaking their way into the assemblies and parliament.
This I liked, You have taken this thought a step forward. Maybe our MPs will push this cause. Evos are surely an upgrade to them also on safety aspect, and will save on the exchequers money on maintainance of AMBYs, budget deficits will come down! Lets get Tbhp to put forward this proposal to the Transport ministry and Mitsu Corp.
Old 3rd March 2011, 20:05   #12
BHPian

This is so sad. R.I.P Evo.

From the good old days of Tommi Makinen thrashing it around different rallys to being replaced by EV's.

Loved all the Evo iterations, I guess it would be more sorely missed by the Rally teams and Tuners around the world.
Old 3rd March 2011, 20:57   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post

That was just
BTW , me think that Mitsubishi may have signed some contract for committing suicide.
Can't understand where the company is headed to. At the international level as well as specially in the Indian market.
Old 3rd March 2011, 22:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

1) Mitsubishi has gone mad for sure. The restructuring fever got too high.

2) The fan following is very high for this car, so why not continue bringing out evo ?

3) This one car is capable of competing with porsche, ferrari. Its a very high achievement.

4) 5-6 years ago, some american magazine compared evo with the supercars and sports cars like Mustang, Corvette ( the high powered one ), ferrari 360 ( IIRC ), etc. There was strong critisizm for the same. The magazine responded and said that in fair comparison, evo has to be there and its the best out of all for the same.

I agree that they are making a wrong decision. Mitsubishi should enter tie up with Toyota or Honda or may PSA Peugeot Citroen.
Old 3rd March 2011, 23:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

Sigh. I guess now the 50L price tag of the car is justified - since enthusiasts might pay upto that amount to get hold of the last lot.

Why does the car in the image (1st Post) have 2 different front tyres?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks