Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2011, 17:34   #1
BHPian

Samsung cars - ever heard of them?

hi petroheads

how many of you have know that LCD TV maker and touch screen mobile manufacturer also manufactures cars of all ranges and that too is an outright competitor for world renowned hyundai ?

check it out in the link below

Renault.com - Renault Samsung Motors

The cars look super cool.

i dont understand why no indian OEM is interested in making mobile phones or TVs... lol
Attached Thumbnails
Samsung cars - ever heard of them?-12sm7.jpg  

Old 8th April 2011, 22:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Samsung cars - ever heard of them?

why does the SM7 look exactly like the old gen nissan teana? are they making it under license from nissan or something?

edit: just googled it, it is based on the same platform.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Samsung_SM7

Last edited by aadix : 8th April 2011 at 22:28.
Old 8th April 2011, 22:42   #3
BHPian

Hi wild_child and aadix, I work for Samsung and when I visit the HQ in Korea I see a lot of SM cars there. In Korea they are considered as a premium segment . Samsung has a collaboration with Renault and they come up wit car in SM series.
Old 8th April 2011, 22:57   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

If I am not wrong, Samsung cars plays a major role in Korea's finance.
Old 9th April 2011, 01:31   #5
BHPian

Samsung Motors is 80% owned by Renault and the rest is owned by Samsung cards. So most of the R&D is shared with Nissan and Renault, this is the reason why their cars look similar and have similar underpinnings.

chk here - Renault Samsung Motors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 9th April 2011, 10:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Yes heard saw and also took a ride in one , In Samsung HQ all the VPs and above used to get one black SM5/SM7 car this was till the time Samsung sold stake in Samsung motors some time in early part of this decade. Now they get genisis as well.

Samsung is a very big group produces more then 15% of Koreas GDP , For a comparison Reliance contributes to roughly 6% of GDP on India.

and not only car you can see Samsung Construction ( Dubai Burj Arab is constructed by them), housing , Cards ,Ship building , heavy engineering, Jet Engines , Entertainment park ( Everland) , Catering service as well.
Old 9th April 2011, 10:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Its not just Samsung but Hyundai as well which does everything in engineering (Daewoo used too as well)
Old 9th April 2011, 11:22   #8
BHPian

Samsung-Renault cars are very popular among executives in Korea. Their naming - series numbers are similar to BMW's. I've driven SM 5 few times, build quality is at par with any German mid size sedan.

Off the topic, Samsung is the world's largest private conglomerate by revenue . Samsung Electronics is World No 1 in consumer electronics, No 1 in semiconductor ~ memory , No 2 in mobile business. They are also a big name in construction, ship building, Heavy industries, life insurance , theme parks, defance -aerospace ( limited to Korea). Samsung Group would have been the 35th largest economy in the world if ranked.
Old 9th April 2011, 11:56   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Its not just Samsung but Hyundai as well which does everything in engineering (Daewoo used too as well)
Add Mitsubishi to the list .
Old 9th April 2011, 12:05   #10
BHPian

My uncle who lives in Korea had mentioned about samsung cars. And I dont think Samsung uses its brand to sell cars anywhere in the world except S. korea itself.

Just another query I have about S. Korea, I also heard that there is an unwritten code among car makers in S. Korea that only high end luxury models can be offered in the executive black colour within S. Korea. Is there any truth in that? So that means no black coloured hatch backs and entry level sedans, only Black coloured high end models.

anyone got inside info?
Old 9th April 2011, 12:17   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Yes heard saw and also took a ride in one , In Samsung HQ all the VPs and above used to get one black SM5/SM7 car this was till the time Samsung sold stake in Samsung motors some time in early part of this decade. Now they get genisis as well.

Samsung is a very big group produces more then 15% of Koreas GDP , For a comparison Reliance contributes to roughly 6% of GDP on India.

and not only car you can see Samsung Construction ( Dubai Burj Arab is constructed by them), housing , Cards ,Ship building , heavy engineering, Jet Engines , Entertainment park ( Everland) , Catering service as well.
Yes Totally agree- I also drove one during my visit,
In Samsung all Employees of Senior level used to get/partial buy one,
But they never did very well in Cars,Don't know the situation now..
Old 9th April 2011, 14:17   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Yep , only in S.Kore.
even if they manage to sell in the world market the name changes to Renault or Nissan cause most of the cars in Samsung stable are based either on Renault or Nissan platform.
Old 9th April 2011, 15:02   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC.CUSTOMS View Post
Add Mitsubishi to the list .
I think we were talking about the large Korean companies here? Therefore Mitsubishi which is a japanese company doesn't count.
Old 9th April 2011, 18:09   #14
BHPian

Ji

Never knew samsung cars existed. And it looks cool too. It seems many of fellow bhpians knew something it and am getting lots of info.

Hyundai entered into home electronics in india. But it didnt take off as well as samsung cars took off in Korea

Barath
Old 9th April 2011, 22:19   #15
BHPian

I had read sometime back that Samsung Cars was the only division of Samsung that was loss making and that they had sold the division some time back? Does Samsung still own the cars division ?

Most Viewed