Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2011, 00:01   #1
BHPian

Joy! For our pockets; BMW unveils 3 Cylinder Engine

Quote:
BMW has revealed its down-sized three-cylinder engine, despite having not officially confirmed it will launch the motor. Titled ‘The new BMW EfficientDynamics Engine family’ the computer animation shows how the three cylinder will effectively be half of a one of the company’s new generation 3.0-litre straight-six engines.
The new three-pot engine will be a 1.5-litre unit because all future BMW engines will be based on the same common 500cc cylinder design. It will also benefit from Valvetronic variable valve timing, high pressure fuel injection and will use a single, double-sided turbocharger.
Sitting above the three-cylinder will be a 2.0-litre, four-cylinder, four-pot engine, made up of the same modular components. The official marketing video which showcased BMW’s latest engine technology shows the three cylinder engine being mounted transversely in two different body structures, presumably a hint that the engine will be used in both the BMW’s upcoming front-wheel drive small car and next-generation Mini. The animation of the four-cylinder is also mounted sideways, suggesting it is also compact enough to fit in the next Mini.
Some BMW sources have told Autocar that no decision has yet been made on fitting the three-cylinder engine to the next-generation 3-series. The cost of adapting the unit for longitudinal mounting and engineering the unit for greater refinement as well as possible customer to resistance to having such a small engine in a largish car are all cited as reasons for keeping the three-cylinder engine for front-drive use only.
It has been highly speculated that BMW would eventually use this 3 cylinder motor in the 3 series to lower price and boost sales in price driven markets like ours.

3 cylinder BMWs

Taken From http://http://www.autocarindia.com/n...w-3-cyl-engine
Old 17th April 2011, 10:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Joy! For our pockets; BMW unveils 3 Cylinder Engine

To be used on their smaller city cars within the BMW family is a great idea.
But to be used in the next gen 3 or any 3 will be overkill.
Many people buy the 3 cause of its fun to drive nature. But it seems that BMW is slowly changing their character. Fron a driver focused manufacturer to one who has started thinking more about efficiency and comfort.
Old 17th April 2011, 12:34   #3
BHPian

re: Joy! For our pockets; BMW unveils 3 Cylinder Engine

Perhaps they might as well introduce the 1 series in India with the above mentioned 3 pot, fifteen hundred cc engine! That'd be hot!
Old 17th April 2011, 15:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Joy! For our pockets; BMW unveils 3 Cylinder Engine

Yeah the 1 series with the above mentioned engine could be priced very agressively.
And going by BMW India's aggresive pricing strategy. If they launch the 1 with the 3 pot. Our next car could very well be an affordable BMW.

Last edited by mdsaab : 17th April 2011 at 15:25.
Old 17th April 2011, 21:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

will this usher a new ways the 3 pot is developed? IMHO of what I know about engines, 3 pots are vibrating little ones, would BMW be willing to risk the reputation of being and playing in a Hyundai/Suzuki. Also inherent to the weight and configuration on the 1 series where this engine might is used, this engine will be just adequate.

A bit confused ???
Old 17th April 2011, 21:32   #6
BHPian

It sure is high time we get a powerful hatch in India. I hope the 3 pot will be a powerful option soon.
Old 17th April 2011, 22:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

I have a feeling this is be used mostly on Minis and shared with Peugeots. Low end 1 series also a possibility.
Old 18th April 2011, 11:14   #8
BANNED

I will definitely never buy a BMW/Merc/Audi 3 potter!
Old 18th April 2011, 11:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I have a feeling this is be used mostly on Minis and shared with Peugeots. Low end 1 series also a possibility.
Hope so ! I cant believe nor would want to see people doing 60kmph on their Beemers to extract kpl !

The Peugeot news is new to me!
Old 18th April 2011, 12:35   #10
BHPian

Getting the 1 series in CKD wouldn't make sense coz BMW wouldn't sell volumes with the hatch or the coupe, CBU would make the car more expensive than the 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I will definitely never buy a BMW/Merc/Audi 3 potter!
Finally!
Old 18th April 2011, 13:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

lets wait and see if it still is the 'ultimate driving machine' or the 'ultimate marketing gimmick'

cheers,
ac
Old 18th April 2011, 17:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
The Peugeot news is new to me!
The current 1.6p Mini engines are already shared with several Peugeot models.

Last edited by Mpower : 18th April 2011 at 20:59.
Old 18th April 2011, 17:52   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Whoever is talking at BMW has lost his marbles. No one buys a BMW for a compromise; they pay the premium $ for the brand, and because they expect that BMW to be the best in the segment. When the humble Maruti & Hyundai can give all-rounded 4 cylinder engines (and really good engines, I might add) in 4 lakh rupee cars, what on earth is BMW talking about? How much are they going to save on a cylinder, and what part of that saving cannot be negated by their thick profit margins?

This is a bad move, very bad. By design, a three cylinder simply cannot be as balanced / smooth as a 4 cylinder. A move that will damage the brand.
Old 18th April 2011, 18:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

BMW 315i, really? I for one was really glad that their entry point is the 20i/20d engines and not the 318i. As it is, the 320i is very underpowered compared to its diesel counterpart. Unless BMW has a 1.8TSI beater, they probably shouldn't get into making pedestrian-performance engines.
Old 18th April 2011, 19:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Whoever is talking at BMW has lost his marbles. No one buys a BMW for a compromise;
This is a bad move, very bad. By design, a three cylinder simply cannot be as balanced / smooth as a 4 cylinder. A move that will damage the brand.
Its being done for FE benefit. They've been really obsessing over fuel economy off late. The EPS was a bad move as it is. Hopefully there will be an optional 4. I agree BMW should be a BMW and not try to be a Prius. I dont mind the small FE compromise for sportiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
BMW 315i, really? As it is, the 320i is very underpowered compared to its diesel counterpart.
Lately thev'e been naming models based on power for ex. 740i is a 3 liter turbo. Anyways, the turbo should make it better than the 2.0 NA.

Last edited by Mpower : 18th April 2011 at 20:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks