Team-BHP - LeMans 2011 & 2012
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Int'l Motorsport (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intl-motorsport/)
-   -   LeMans 2011 & 2012 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intl-motorsport/102732-lemans-2011-2012-a.html)

Im surprised no one really follows what is possibly the most historic race in the world. Anyways, for all you LeMans newbies, here is a nice guide to the Cars at Lemans, which has already begun. Highlight of the race so far is Mcnish's HUGE crash putting what was possibly the winning car out of contention.

HEre is the guide:
Le Mans 2011: the runners and riders - BBC Top Gear

And here is the crash:
YouTube - ‪Allan McNish Huge Crash 2011 Le Mans 24 Hours‬‏

I shall keep on updating this thread as much as possible.

Doesnt seem like anyone cares about LEMans.

Anyways, the bad run for Audi continues. Rockenfeller crashes the Number 1 Audi after clipping yet another Ferrari 458. No news on driver yet. Around 20meters of the Armco have been badly damaged.

YouTube - ‪Le Mans 11.06.11 Bad Accident of Rockenfeller in the second Audi‬‏

Terrifying mcnish crash that man. Crazy. Thanks for sharing. let me see it later in the morning :D

that car nearly became a missile!

It could end up a Pug 1-2-3 at this rate. Bourdais did some fast runs in the last hour to close in on the lead Audi

Huge accidents for both the Audis. Luckily, no one was hurt. The #1 Audi literally had no time before it went into the barrier at high speed.

I must admit I didn't know anything about this race until 2006 when I went to France on an official trip. I reached just after the Le Mans weekend and people were still talking about how a diesel car won the event. I followed the race the next year, but was mostly thinking that a 24h race would be boring and unspectacular. All that changed when I got a chance to witness the race in 2008 - and what a race it was!

On a side note, I think a factor in both the accidents has been the massive speed difference between the cars. Those LMP1 cars are F-A-S-T. It becomes even more pronounced at the braking zones, they brake so much later than the others. When I attended the race, I was surprised how they overtook the supposedly fast Ferraris and Porsches in the braking zones as though they were standing still.

This is turning out to be a very interesting race. The Audi is clearly faster, but is using up either its tires or fuel or both faster - hence having to stop more often. They are not able to build a big gap.

The other problem Audi has is that 2 Audis are out of the race, but all 3 Peugeots are still running. So Peugeot can keep attacking the lone Audi hoping to force the Audi into a mistake (on track or in the pits) or maybe a reliability issue.

Amazing to say the least. 18 hours and counting. Less than a minute covering Top 3. Looks like this race could get decided in the last minute.

YES YES YES!! INGOLSTADT VICTORIOUS!!!! Audi does it!!! After one of the BEST LeMans in the last few years!! After all the Audi supporters thought it was all over after Rockenfeller's crash, Victory is ours! Literally had a tear in my eye. Have been watching almost non stop for the last 6-7 hours.

According to Overdrive's update on Facebook, there was a shunt that involved a 458 Italia and a Toyota, possibly on the Buddh? I'm not too sure. Is there a section of the track called the Muslanne Chicane?

Quote:

Massive massive crash involving the Toyota and a 458, this was soon after a Audi went into barriers at mulsanne chicane. Witching hour! #fb
Any updates on this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhaas307 (Post 2811231)
According to Overdrive's update on Facebook, there was a shunt that involved a 458 Italia and a Toyota, possibly on the Buddh? I'm not too sure. Is there a section of the track called the Muslanne Chicane?

Any updates on this?

That would be the Le Mans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhaas307 (Post 2811231)

Quote:

Originally Posted by prateekm (Post 2811233)
That would be the Le Mans.

This is what they meant, and yes, it was at the Le Mans.
Toyota crash at Le Mans, Full speed - YouTube

Ouch, that is a scary accident, a similar accident happened to Mark Webber a few years ago (1999), I think he was driving a Mercedes CLR-GT1.

By the way, why is Star Sports / ESPN not showing this event live? it is one of the biggest motor sporting events of the year!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bharat malaviya (Post 2811406)
Ouch, that is a scary accident, a similar accident happened to Mark Webber a few years ago (1999), I think he was driving a Mercedes CLR-GT1.

By the way, why is Star Sports / ESPN not showing this event live? it is one of the biggest motor sporting events of the year!

You can follow this event here

LeMans TV Live

Shame about Ant's crash. The organizers really need to evaluate driver safety. The speed differential is quite a bit here.There should have been marshals waving blue flags when he was lapping the 458.

Davidson's crash "looked" less dangerous than the crashes suffered by the two Audis at Le Mans last year. I was surprised to learn that Davidson has suffered a back injury - usually drivers walk out of such crashes unhurt.

I don't think marshalls waving blue flags would help much. The speed difference is really massive and the slower car can get caught out in a split second. From the video, I think the Ferrari did not expect the Toyota to close in so quickly.