Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2011, 10:53   #1
BHPian

F1 : Mercedes assembling superstar technical team for 2013 !

If you've been following the news from F1 lately, you'd see the impressive list of new recruits at Mercedes. Apart from being on a recruiting spree of young engineering talent from teams across the paddock, Ross Brawn who has been given a free hand with the team, has also been investing in some real 'blue chip' talent up and down the paddock :

1. Bob Bell -Technical Director : Renault F1's technical director from 2005-06, and the team principal in 2009. Brilliant aerodynamicist.

2. Geoff Willis -Technology director - Presided over Honda's brief rise between 03-06, then joined Red Bull and was instrumental in seeing the team rise through the years. It is said that he was responsible in making the Bulls more reliable in 08.

And the most surprising name,

3. Aldo Costa - Was with Ross Brawn during all the years of Schumacher domination. He has also played a strong part in the development of the championship winning 07 car and the strong contenders that Ferrari had in 08 and 2010.

Costa's interview makes for some very interesting reading :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa
"I'm enthusiastic. Mercedes is pushing to be successful and that philosophy matches my ambitions and my character," Costa told Gazzetta dello Sport.

"Once it was over with Ferrari in early July, I spoke with Brawn and Bob Bell. Just a few words with Ross were enough to find ourselves on the same wavelength as ever.

"Once out of Ferrari for many weeks I didn't want to think of anything, I just took care of my personal stuff.

"Yes, I considered the possibility of doing something outside racing. But then the possibility of returning with a big team like Mercedes drew me back in.

"I will be engineering director, leading the team that will take care of designing and developing the car. I will also follow young technicians. It's an exclusively designing job, I won't go to the track, a bit like I used to do in Ferrari before becoming technical director."

Costa added that he was thrilled to be working with Schumacher again.
"I haven't heard from Schumacher yet, but I will do soon," he said. "No one is as good as him in interpreting a car and its development. He will be fundamental, and I strongly believe in him as a driver too."
The man is very bitter at being shown the door by Ferrari. From another recent interview, it seems like he had some problems with Alonso in Ferrari as well. He will be doubly motivated to prove himself, especially to beat Ferrari . Read this very interesting article :
Aldo Costa says rejoining ex-Ferrari colleagues at Mercedes was too tempting to turn down - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

Mercedes is pushing for the title in 2013. I think these big ticket recruits will definitely have a positive impact on their performances in 2012, but their real impact will be felt in 2013 when they get a chance to work on a car which will have a whole new set of regulations to contend with. This is where I think the combined brainpower of this team of Brawn, Bell, Costa and Willis may really give Mercedes the impetus it needs to build a championship challenger.

Watch out Red Bull. You might just see the original Silver Arrow give you a run for your money.
Old 4th October 2011, 11:06   #2
BHPian

Re: F1 : Mercedes assembling superstar technical team for 2013 !

The team looks good on paper. Any ways, F1 this season has become a bit boring unless you are a Vettel fan. Red Bull need competition. But what happened to the Superb Honda F1 technical Team which Brawn got?? Did it all end in 2009 itself?
Old 4th October 2011, 11:16   #3
BHPian

Re: F1 : Mercedes assembling superstar technical team for 2013 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaLN View Post
The team looks good on paper. Any ways, F1 this season has become a bit boring unless you are a Vettel fan. Red Bull need competition. But what happened to the Superb Honda F1 technical Team which Brawn got?? Did it all end in 2009 itself?
They made the 2009 F1 car. The BGP-001 was one of the most innovative (and also expensive mind you) cars in F1's history. After Honda pulled out, Brawn was forced to cut the team's size drastically due to his very limited budget. Now he is rebuilding the team even better than the last time.

Unlike Honda, which always interfered in the management of the team(typical Japanese management, just like Toyota) Mercedes are giving Brawn a free hand and a budget upsize. Obviously they think its better to entrust all their resources in the mans hand rather than create unnecessary hurdles.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks