Team-BHP - V8s faster than V10s?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Int'l Motorsport (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intl-motorsport/)
-   -   V8s faster than V10s? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intl-motorsport/11562-v8s-faster-than-v10s.html)

V8s are supposed to slow down the cars right?
Wrong.
Here are some timings from this years Malaysian GP which as before was a 56 lap race:-

2005 (V10)
Fastest lap - 1:35:483
Alonso's first place time - 1:31:33:736

2006 (V8)
Fastest lap - 1:34:803
Fisi's first place time - 1:30:40:529

Phew. My biggest fear with the V8s was that they would actually slow down the cars. The cars were not only faster this year but looked faster too. And since I was at the Malaysian GP I can assure all F1 crazies that the V8 are just as noisy as the V10, if not more.

I agree with one of the posts that the race was a bit of a yawn with the gap Fisi pulled in the first 15 laps. By the end of the race he could of shut off his engine 1 km before the finish and would have still come first. No one could match his pace that day and the truth is no one bothered trying.

One last thing, I had the pleasure of meeting Monsieur Jean To Jean Todt at KL airport. The guy is so big in Malaysia that they actually delayed the Air France flight for half an hour so that he could catch it. I asked him for an autograph and he pretty cheerfully obliged delaying the flight for a few seconds more. I may not have met God (Schumi) but I sure did meet his archangel.

Difference in Speeds between V8 and V10's i would attribute that to the new Tyre change rule. 6 Sets per driver ? Last year it was a different story.

Thats really surprising to see that V8 engined F1 car is quicker than the V10s last year. But i think the V8s won't be as reliable as the V10s as they have to run higher revs and there will be more stress on engine.

Well the V8's arent rev limited unlike the V10's.
that could be a factor too,right?

that would mostly be attributed to the tyres ... v10s are definately more powerful than the v8s(900 vs 750 hp) ... i do not think the v10s were revv limited last year ... infact,last year the engines were allowed Variable Valve Timing ,which they are prohibited from using this year

IMO tryes and aerodynamic impovements make a huge difference

this year the cars running V10s have power restricters ... though the controversy is , while you can restrict the power .. you can't restrict the torque , so the V10s have more torque than the V8s ... thus the V10s are revv limited to compensate for higher torque ....

Because of my exams, I am yet to see a race with the V8's. I am most concerned about how they sound, rather than lap around the track!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by islero
Because of my exams, I am yet to see a race with the V8's. I am most concerned about how they sound, rather than lap around the track!!

DOn't worry mate ... they still sound great .... :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nachu
And since I was at the Malaysian GP I can assure all F1 crazies that the V8 are just as noisy as the V10, if not more.

l.

you lucky bloke, i envy you....:mad: the noise must have been pure music...

To be honest I am not surprised for V8 being faster.
You also have to think about the aerodynamics of the car.
You can not compare Toro Rosso with Renault.

As we all saw from on-board camera that V10's are restricted to 16,500RPM while Kimi was revving upto 19,500RPM already in second GP :Shockked:

V10's surely will have more reliability & torque. Maybe FIA will restrict them further.

Quote:

Originally Posted by islero

You can download video of Cosworth V8 on dyno touching 20,000RPM
http://www.cosworth.com/downloads/co...ie5_medium.mpg

V8s are running 200bhp less then the V10 but in the V10s the drivers never pushed the car till the outmust, since they had to save their tyres for the whole weekend. Also the aeros have been further improved then last year. The V10s of the Torro Rosso are running V10s i guess but they have been restricted. But dont they have torque advantage.

I hope they dont go the V6 way next year :Shockked:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUSA
V8s are running 200bhp less then the V10 but in the V10s the drivers never pushed the car till the outmust, since they had to save their tyres for the whole weekend.

care to give source?

Quote:

Also the aeros have been further improved then last year. The V10s of the Torro Rosso are running V10s i guess but they have been restricted.
are you sure what are you saying?
and everyone knows V10's are restricted.
Quote:

But dont they have torque advantage.
yeah they do. if you would have cared to read my earlier post you would have known.

Quote:

I hope they dont go the V6 way next year
Don't worry won't happen
Try googling for F1 rule changes for 2008

I do not know much about cars but wouldn't the V8 be lighter than the V10?

Now if the power to weight ratio is better than the v10 car wouldn't that make more sense as to why the V8's are faster than the v10's?

Sorry if this sounds stupid. I'm just asking.

There are a few explanations for this. While the V8s put out less power, they are also smaller, giving more freedom for the work of aerodynamicists.
Moreover, a V8 runs cooler than a V10, allowing for gains in the cooling departments - such as side pod size - and therefore better weight distribution via ballast through lighter parts.
And, of course, 2006's tyre regulations are actually increasing mid-corner speeds, because the shorter-life boots are softer and therefore more adhesive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCockroach
I do not know much about cars but wouldn't the V8 be lighter than the V10?

Now if the power to weight ratio is better than the v10 car wouldn't that make more sense as to why the V8's are faster than the v10's?

Sorry if this sounds stupid. I'm just asking.

Good point however FIA rules state that total weight of car and driver must be 600kg
http://www.formula1.com/insight/rule...gs/13/507.html

Thus V8's don't get any advantage of power to weight ratio