Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2012, 15:46   #1
BHPian

Motorsports in High Definition (HD) on ESPN

Dont know if this has been posted before, but the HD coverage of F1 races and Moto GP on Star Sports HD* is quite astonishing.

I have been thoroughly enjoying the Star Sports feed since the start of the season. Why ? I have Tata Sky HD + along with a booming Sony 5.1 home theater system. That makes for a few really angry neighbors come raceday

My brain has learnt to ignore Steve Slater's cackles and focus on the brilliant picture and sound quality that the HD version of the race is providing me.

If you guys havent got it yet, you must !

Also, the number of ads during the broadcast is very less (As of now) as compared to the regular feed which is a real godsend.

EDIT :* Sorry, Its ESPN HD.

Last edited by PuntoMania : 9th April 2012 at 15:50. Reason: typo
Old 9th April 2012, 15:53   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Motorsport in High Definition on Star Sports

Subscribed to ESPN HD 2 months back and I must say that the picture quality is awesome! Having said that, the channel doesn't broadcast sound in Dolby Mode. It is still Stereo as encoded and displayed by my Yahama AVR. What about TATA Sky?
Old 9th April 2012, 17:31   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Subscribed to ESPN HD 2 months back and I must say that the picture quality is awesome! Having said that, the channel doesn't broadcast sound in Dolby Mode. It is still Stereo as encoded and displayed by my Yahama AVR. What about TATA Sky?
In Tata Sky+ HD i am sure broadcast is in Dolby mode. I can see all 5.1 channel light glowing on my Yamaha whenever any HD channel is on.
Old 9th April 2012, 17:49   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya@pune View Post
In Tata Sky+ HD i am sure broadcast is in Dolby mode. I can see all 5.1 channel light glowing on my Yamaha whenever any HD channel is on.
So the problem is with the service provider (Airtel DTH) in this case. I browsed other forums and there are many who say that its plain Stereo when they switch to ESPN HD on their Airtel HD DTH Box.
Old 10th April 2012, 11:34   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
So the problem is with the service provider (Airtel DTH) in this case. I browsed other forums and there are many who say that its plain Stereo when they switch to ESPN HD on their Airtel HD DTH Box.

Actually in my opinion I doubt it would make much of a difference if the sound is in Dolby or Stereo. Its a sporting event which is not the same as a movie. The sound effects are not of the same depth as, say any of the hollywood flicks we get to see on Star Movies HD.

So, dont fret it
Old 11th April 2012, 15:13   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuntoMania View Post
Actually in my opinion I doubt it would make much of a difference if the sound is in Dolby or Stereo. Its a sporting event which is not the same as a movie. The sound effects are not of the same depth as, say any of the hollywood flicks we get to see on Star Movies HD.

So, dont fret it
I view ESPN HD on Videocon D2H and the clarity is amazing. Am not sure on the sound (dolby/stereo) though..it sounded ok..
What I am not happy is that you have the telecast clipped the moment the chequered flag is shown and then you have to switch to Star Sports to watch the remaining part. That is a let down. Why can't it be shown till the drivers press conference

Last edited by polopm : 11th April 2012 at 15:16.
Old 11th April 2012, 17:48   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Motorsports in High Definition (HD) on ESPN

Have watched a couple of F1 races in HD already. The picture quality is good, yes, but I found the sound quality is even better. Nothing like listening to those beautiful engines screaming at the redline on a 5.1.

I remember the lack of ad co-ordination between Star Sports & HD; thus, whenever there was an ad break on HD, we'd go back temporarily to "Starved Sports". Unfortunately, they have starting syncing ads of late
Old 11th April 2012, 18:20   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuntoMania View Post
Dont know if this has been posted before, but the HD coverage of F1 races and Moto GP on Star Sports HD* is quite astonishing.

I have been thoroughly enjoying the Star Sports feed since the start of the season. Why ? I have Tata Sky HD + along with a booming Sony 5.1 home theater system. That makes for a few really angry neighbors come raceday

My brain has learnt to ignore Steve Slater's cackles and focus on the brilliant picture and sound quality that the HD version of the race is providing me.

If you guys havent got it yet, you must !

Also, the number of ads during the broadcast is very less (As of now) as compared to the regular feed which is a real godsend.

EDIT :* Sorry, Its ESPN HD.
Hi

I just saw the thread. I called Tata sky after reading your thread to get a connection myself. They say they cannot provide star sports HD. I wonder how are you able to watch grand prixs without it. Can you put some light on this and help me decide.

Thanks
Doc.
Old 11th April 2012, 19:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
Hi

I just saw the thread. I called Tata sky after reading your thread to get a connection myself. They say they cannot provide star sports HD. I wonder how are you able to watch grand prixs without it. Can you put some light on this and help me decide.

Thanks
Doc.
I think he corrected himself. It's ESPN HD. Races are shown on ESPN HD.
asr245 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks