Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2006, 17:36   #1
BHPian

F1: Singapore might host a grandprix in 2008

As FIA plans to have 20 races in 2008 season Singapore is interested in grabbing the oppurtunity to host a race.

Other citys/Countries that are discussed are Valencia, Greece, Russia, South Africa, Mexico (F1 is going to comeback here).

There were also rumours about an Indian GP, not sure how much of it is true...
Old 12th April 2006, 22:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Where's the land in Singapore to build a track. YOu need at least 100 acres for an F1 track.
....although there is already a track next door in Johor Baru.
Old 12th April 2006, 23:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

But that comes nowhere close to the F1 standards!

Its nothing more than false publicity frankly. Clearly, there's no space in singapore. And even if they somehow managed to get the rights for a race, it'd have to be a street-circuit. And that again would fall below the safety standards and the race itself would be extremely boring despite the increased crashes. But most importantly, we already have sepang which is just a bit more than a stone's throw away. So for Bernie another race in SE Asia would not be as lucrative as Russia/S.A/Greece.
Old 13th April 2006, 09:00   #4
BHPian

Guy's, Singapore has more untouched land than any other country of it's size. Only 3/5th of the land in singapore is being utilized. Central singapore is a Natural reserve. North western Singapore is kept un-occupied till now. In addition they have a few unoccupied islands. Who knows, they may even reclaim the required land...!

Most people who watch Sepang Grandprix are from Singapore. Singapore must have noted this and worked out a project which would have shown great gains if F1 is hosted.

If Singapore builds a track, it will be the most advanced in all aspects and the one for others to beat.

@Mpower: Sepang track is 375 Km's away from Johor Baru.
@Deeps: I have lived there for a while and know about the government. I am confident that they will set new standards to F1.

Last edited by ksethuram : 13th April 2006 at 09:03.
Old 13th April 2006, 11:13   #5
BHPian

Same region

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksethuram
@Mpower: Sepang track is 375 Km's away from Johor Baru.
@Deeps: I have lived there for a while and know about the government. I am confident that they will set new standards to F1.
Ain't it the same region, India/Russia/S.A are the locations, it depends on how the governments going to respond, Valencia is pulling all strings i feel.
Old 13th April 2006, 15:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksethuram
I too have lived right next door in Brunei for 3 years. But i didn't imply that the govt. wouldn't be able to make it safe. What i was saying was that chances are that an F1 track in singapore will be a street circuit and that by its nature will not be as safe as other tracks. But more importantly we already have Sepang in the region so a location like Russia/Greece/SA would be a more lucrative opportunity for Ecclestone.
Old 14th April 2006, 22:01   #7
BHPian

India is doubtful.. but yeah greece, valencia, russia, SA and mexico are being looked at.. i had also heard something about qatar.. dont know how far that is true.. but if any of these circuits are even considered in 2008.. which circuits go off the calendar.. im sure there arent goin to be about 22 races in one season..
Old 15th April 2006, 22:18   #8
BHPian

yep a race track is confirmed...just a bit shorter than the sepang track!! yippe cant wait

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks