Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2013, 01:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

2013 is Mark Webber's last F1 season !

We all saw it coming, it was just a matter of when ! Webber will be part of Porsche's LeMans team. The more interesting part is, who will be at the Red Bull next ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23074108
fz_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2013, 10:38   #2
BHPian

It looks like Kimi will be moving to RBR.
Old 28th June 2013, 13:48   #3
BHPian

Re: 2013 is Mark Webber's last F1 season !

We can just wait and watch that who will be replacing Webber.

Kimi moving to RBR is quite unlikely, cuz catering to the astronomical egos of two World champions and that too of the likes of Kimi and Vettel wouldn't be easy for any team.

Do you think Kimi will be OK to drive in the 2nd car? I don't think so.

-Bhargav
Old 28th June 2013, 18:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

RBR in a difficult position. It would certainly want a driver like Kimi, to build a strong team. But the ego issues will be a headache. I don't think Kimi would mind a RBR seat, it will be Vettel who will have problem. It seems a 50-50 now.
J-E Vergne looks favorite. A surprise isn't unexpected.
Old 28th June 2013, 18:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

From the British GP! I have a feeling that Horner has another driver in mind and is keeping everyone's focus on the wrong list

Source: http://www1.skysports.com/formula1/live/#pod-hub

Here are those Horner quotes in which he admits the race to replace Webber is basically between Raikkonen, Ricciardo and Vergne:

"We want the fastest line-up that we can and Kimi's obviously an attractive option. The youngsters are attractive as well. We want to take our time and evaluate the options but the reality is that it's probably between those three.

Paul di Resta?

"Obviously you've got to look at everyone and see what's available. I don't know what Paul's situation is, but as I say, our focus will be primarily on those three guys."
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 01:45   #6
BANNED

It won't be a big name.

Kimi won't join because they don't need a person of his caliber. You can't have two no.1 guys in a team that needs a no.1 and a no. 2.

Hiring KIMI is hiring someone with too much skill. They need a guy who can give them a no.2 in a 1-2 finish.

It won't be anybody besides the guys from Toro Rosso. Because that would just mean the platform and team is undermined and useless.

I'm going to say Ricciardo, he personality makes him seem like someone who can take the BS thrown by Vettel and Marko.

Red Bull is a team that does some arm twisting -- KIMI is a no nonsense guy that doesn't take things like this. Don't forget his experience with Montezemolo and Ferrari.

Last edited by D33-PAC : 29th June 2013 at 01:48.
Old 1st July 2013, 16:02   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
It won't be a big name.

Kimi won't join because they don't need a person of his caliber. You can't have two no.1 guys in a team that needs a no.1 and a no. 2.

Hiring KIMI is hiring someone with too much skill. They need a guy who can give them a no.2 in a 1-2 finish.

It won't be anybody besides the guys from Toro Rosso. Because that would just mean the platform and team is undermined and useless.

I'm going to say Ricciardo, he personality makes him seem like someone who can take the BS thrown by Vettel and Marko.

Red Bull is a team that does some arm twisting -- KIMI is a no nonsense guy that doesn't take things like this. Don't forget his experience with Montezemolo and Ferrari.
There is no evidence of any of this - Webber has had a fair run at Red Bull. In 2010 he was in the championship right up until the last race of the year. There has been the occasional major incident like the Silverstone Front wing saga - and stupid media quotes from Helmut Marko from time to time, but there is absolutely no denying that Mark never ever had to play second fiddle for Vettel like Massa / Grosjean. I dont remember any time in these past few years where they've asked Webber to give support to Vettel (or Mark even offering it) even towards the fag end of the season.

Coming to the topic, for me the best moments of Webber came in his years at Jaguar - his supreme qualifying skills were on full display in those few years he spent in the struggling Jaguar outfit - regularly placing the car where it had no business being in.

Last edited by PuntoMania : 1st July 2013 at 16:06.
PuntoMania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 02:37   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuntoMania View Post
There is no evidence of any of this - Webber has had a fair run at Red Bull.
I did not mean arm-twisting per se but yes I agree with you.
Once you get in a car for qualifying -- there is nothing stopping you from beating your teammate.

Webber's a solid driver, but I don't think he was ever as hungry as Sebastian. Vettel's level of hunger/ambition is in a different realm altogether .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks