Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2013, 12:50   #1
BHPian

Indian F1 Grand Prix: No racing in the foreseeable future

Quote:
BUDAPEST: The Indian Grand Prix is likely to be dropped from next year's Formula One calendar as Russia prepares for its debut, commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone has said.

"Is India going to happen next year? Probably not," he said at the Hungarian Grand Prix.

Asked what the problem was with the race at Greater Noida, near New Delhi, the 82-year-old British billionaire replied: "Very political."
Reported by TOI

I better book my tickets for this years GP!
akshay380 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 13:37   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Indian F1 Grand Prix: No racing in the foreseeable future

Bureaucracy on its route to derailing another dream?
No issues.
Ive already caught 2, will catch this one as well, and then maybe plan vacations around the GPs at SG, China etc.
Old 29th July 2013, 14:34   #3
BHPian

I posted the same news in the F1 2013 season thread before I caught this thread. Apologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
I better book my tickets for this years GP!
Is this what Bernie hopes to do?
The first race had awesome attendance.
The second year wasn't at the same level.
Hinting that this year's race would be the last would surely spur ticket sales, which we all know is Bernie's only interest in F1
Old 29th July 2013, 14:37   #4
BHPian

That is really sad to hear.

Have not been able to go so far, and will not be able to go this year (school exams and such). If this is true, I probably won't ever be able to go.

Hopefully they work something out and the Indian GP continues.
Old 29th July 2013, 14:47   #5
BANNED

Bernie has found greener pasturer in Austria and Russia. The story is just a lame excuse.
Old 29th July 2013, 14:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Bernie has found greener pasturer in Austria and Russia. The story is just a lame excuse.
Or this could be just another ploy to boost ticket sales for this year. Think of it, how many people will try to watch the "last" Indian F1 GP?
Old 29th July 2013, 15:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yes, thats another way to look at it as the response at the IndianGP was not that great! Bernie being a ruthless business man, he could simply go with Russia & Austria as they are ready to pay him a lot more than what the Indian organisers would want or can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Or this could be just another ploy to boost ticket sales for this year. Think of it, how many people will try to watch the "last" Indian F1 GP?
Old 29th July 2013, 15:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Indian Grand Prix a no-show for 2014 F1 season?

Link to News Section

The Indian edition of the Formula1 Grand Prix could be a no-show in 2014. Recent comments from various sources indicate multifarious reasons for the F1 race not to be held in India. Tax issues, political problems, and manufacturer dissent at the number of races are said to be a few of the reasons as to why the Indian GP might not happen from 2014.

Indian F1 Grand Prix: No racing in the foreseeable future-buddh-international-circuit-1.jpg

According to a Reuters report, Russia could take India's place in the F1 circuit for 2014. F1 supremo Mr. Bernie Ecclestone, speaking at the sidelines of the Hungarian Grand Prix that concluded yesterday, has stated that,

Quote:
Is India going to happen next year? Probably not.
Mr Ecclestone also noted that the reason for the Indian GP to off the 2014 season was "very political".

While the tax issue is said to be one concern of the Formula1 Grand Prix in India, the other issue is related to the number of races that can be accommodated in a single F1 season. Currently, the Formula1 season hosts 19 races including the Indian GP. Russia, New Jersey and Austria are three other F1 tracks that could make it into the 2014 season.

However, the racing teams have refused to have a 22 race season, with them pitching strongly for a 20 race season. In case of the 20 race season being finalized for 2014, South Korea and India could be replaced by Russia and New Jersey, even as Austria is in contention for hosting a Formula1 race next year.

Held at the Buddh International Circuit over the past couple of years, the Formula1 Grand Prix in India has been a moderate affair. In a country that worships cricket, F1 is a niche sport that is followed by a select few when compared to sports such as cricket, football, tennis or even hockey.

Last year, Jaypee Sports, the owners of the Buddh International Circuit revised break even estimates to 5 years from 3 years, due to ticket sales not meeting expectations. Jaypee Sports built the circuit on 2,500 acres of land, off New Delhi, at an expenditure of over 2,000 Crore rupees/400-450 Million USD.

Indian F1 Grand Prix: No racing in the foreseeable future-buddh-international-circuit-2.jpg

The Greater Noida location of the circuit also hosts other sporting facilities such as a cricket stadium and a tennis academy. The idea behind multiple sporting facilities at a single location is to achieve break even quickly and sustain the F1 circuit as many Formula1 circuits across the world have gone belly up due to their inability to recoup investment costs.

In a bid to recover construction costs, Jaypee Sports, the organizers of the Indian F1 Grand Prix have been conducting track days, car launch events and other motor sport/automobile related activities on the Buddh International Circuit. However, these measures pale in comparison to the revenue that needs to be generated to break even.

In addition to this year's Formula1 race that will be held in India during October, the Buddh International Circuit will host the World Superbike Championship in November. While there's been talk of MotoGP (F1's motorcycle racing equivalent) coming to BIC, a final decision by the organizers of the MotoGP championship hasn't been made yet.

Discussion : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intl-m...xe-2014-a.html

Last edited by Rehaan : 31st July 2013 at 20:15. Reason: Linking to existing discussion. Will move your post there soon as well. Thanks.
Old 29th July 2013, 16:46   #9
BHPian

Uh oh, gotta book tickets for 2013 race soon. Who knows old Bernie might not be up to his usual tricks this time, or the Indian bureaucrats might be up to their stupid tricks once more...
Old 29th July 2013, 16:54   #10
BHPian

Just saw:

http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/0...0FZ24V20130729

Quote:
I work closely with both, the Jaypee Group and Bernie. Apparently they are trying to find a mutually convenient date to start early in the year in 2015," Chandhok, father of Indian racing driver Karun, told Reuters.

"With that in mind, 2014 obviously doesn't make logical sense and nobody can afford to have a late start in 2014 and then host another grand prix early 2015.

"I think what they are trying is to find a solution to run 2015 early in the year and 2016 instead of 2014 late."

The Sepang International Circuit hosted the Malaysian Grand Prix as the last race of the 2000 season before holding the second race of 2001 and continuing with an early slot to date.

Chandhok said both Ecclestone and Jaypee want to continue their association.

"I am not saying that the 2014 race is off. They are trying to find a date early 2015. I am saying that's what Bernie must have meant," Chandhok added. "Both Bernie and Jaypee want Formula One to continue in India.

"If they do find a date then the 2014 - instead of running in October, November - will be postponed by four months to run the next year.

"And since their contract is for five years, they will run 2015 and 2016."
nipcarlover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 22:20   #11
BANNED

How many years of contract does JayPee need to break even ?
Old 30th July 2013, 00:05   #12
Team-BHP Support

I hope the race stays (haven't been there yet), but knowing how Bernie has yanked races from venues in the past for nonsensical reasons, it wouldn't be a surprise if he dumps the Indian GP in favor of a more lucrative venue.

As for the 'fan following' argument, he only cares about what he makes. He's given races to venues with empty grandstands before, and will do so again if need be. Heck, he'll run a race on Mars if he could profit from it.
Old 30th July 2013, 09:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Bernie is a very tough negotiator. And he keeps the track owners on their toes by adding new tracks each year.

Looking at what Chandhok Sr. said, I don't think we will get to see the new cars in 2014. He is already trying to spin the 2015 race as a late 2014 one.

Quote:
"If they do find a date then the 2014 - instead of running in October, November - will be postponed by four months to run the next year.
Old 30th July 2013, 11:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
How many years of contract does JayPee need to break even ?
They are never going to break even as they are not profiting from hosting just the race itself. I don't think any circuit makes a profit just from the race. In other countries they consider the money tourists will bring to the city because of the race (which is why city also pays part of the hosting fee). JP is trying to make money by using F1 to raise prices/sell property along "F1" belt. This news (if true) would certainly be a wet blanket on their plans.
asr245 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 11:51   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
They are never going to break even as they are not profiting from hosting just the race itself. I don't think any circuit makes a profit just from the race. In other countries they consider the money tourists will bring to the city because of the race (which is why city also pays part of the hosting fee). JP is trying to make money by using F1 to raise prices/sell property along "F1" belt. This news (if true) would certainly be a wet blanket on their plans.
So to profit from the grand scheme of things, I'm guessing they own at least a hundreds of acres surrounding the track if not thousands ?

Also, I thought it was just 2014 getting the boot. 2015 and 2016 are still on no?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks