Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2013, 04:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mike Newman, blind by birth, drives to inspire the disabled

Mike Newman, a person blind by birth, drives to inspire disabled people to get involved in motor sport.

For some, driving is a passion and nothing can hold them back from this exhilaration.
Mike Newman from Manchester, UK, is part of that special breed of people. An ex-bank manager, the 52-year-old has broken the land speed record for blind drivers by setting an average speed of 186 mph (299 km/h).

Newman, who reclaimed the record from Turkish pop singer Metin Senturk, said he hoped his achievement would encourage people with disabilities to take up motor sport.
He set the record in a Porsche 911 with the help of a navigator who gave him indications via radio from a chase car.
His help was vital as Newman needed indications in order to go in a straight line.

I am unsure of how significant this news is.
But looking at the achievement and his intention of pulling this feat is indeed to serve as an inspiration for disabled to take up motorsport, thought of putting it on our page, as very few other place would help much in this regard.

Mike Newman:
Mike Newman, blind by birth, drives to inspire the disabled-stn29myweek_373185k.jpg

Video of the drive:

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-24235219
sarathlal is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 13:17   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mike Newman, blind by birth, drives to inspire the disabled

OT, but still related. Your thread minded me of Ashish Goyal...a superlative personality & an over-achiever in every way. He never let his visual disability get in the way.

My company had assisted Ashish with his MBA applications.

GTO is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks