Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2013, 21:19   #16
BHPian

Re: Why Vettel is so fast

My point was not about RBR having a better car. My point was about Vettel being hailed as a better driver than the rest of the field. He did have help in the form of some driver-aid, whether one calls it traction-control or something else. Without this driver-aid, I am not sure how well he would have placed.

And, no, this is not armchair speculation - I am copy-pasting something here straight from the horse's mouth:

Vettel, however, has made it clear Red Bull had a trick up its sleeve in Singapore, and now it is for their rivals to discover what.

'We were playing around quite a lot with it in practice, but the first time it worked was in the race,' said Vettel.

'I was quite confident other people would never figure out how we did it.

'We are pretty proud of the system we have because other people will never figure out how we’ve done it.'

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 07:15   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Thanks for sharing the videos mate.

I have only one question, when accelerating out of a corner the behavior of Maldo's car is classic, he gives too much throttle there is excessive wheelspin and he corrects the steering to get the car exit smoothly out of a corner and in other corners he feathers the throttle to avoid wheelspin for a smooth exit.

In the video of Vettel, the revs are consistent and higher than what Maldo could do with not even a single moment where he had to correct the steering or feather the throttle before getting on the power. Why is that?

It didnt look like Vettel was doing anything special inside the cockpit, there was not even a single moment where you could feel that he was on the limit. He takes the kerbs normally and keeps going on without any drama. May be its Newey's touch? May be one reason drivers or experts who sit on the pitwall (they do see things on YouTube once in a while too ) don't rate him as high as other legends! Its only his team and his retired countryman who is all praise about Vettel to find him some respect.
Exactly my thoughts !

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
My point was not about RBR having a better car. My point was about Vettel being hailed as a better driver than the rest of the field. He did have help in the form of some driver-aid, whether one calls it traction-control or something else. Without this driver-aid, I am not sure how well he would have placed.

And, no, this is not armchair speculation - I am copy-pasting something here straight from the horse's mouth:

Vettel, however, has made it clear Red Bull had a trick up its sleeve in Singapore, and now it is for their rivals to discover what.

'We were playing around quite a lot with it in practice, but the first time it worked was in the race,' said Vettel.

'I was quite confident other people would never figure out how we did it.

'We are pretty proud of the system we have because other people will never figure out how we’ve done it.'

Cheers
That says it all. With this unfair advantage, anyone can become a superstar. It has got nothing to do with driver skill.

Skill is shown by the likes of KIMI,ALONSO. Period !!
Old 2nd December 2013, 07:31   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Exactly my thoughts ! That says it all. With this unfair advantage, anyone can become a superstar. It has got nothing to do with driver skill. Skill is shown by the likes of KIMI,ALONSO. Period !!
Oh my my, you guys seem to have completely missed the sarcasm in that interview of Vettel at Korean GP

Nevertheless , keep it coming. Can stay entertained until Mar 2014
Old 2nd December 2013, 18:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
With this unfair advantage, anyone can become a superstar. It has got nothing to do with driver skill.

Skill is shown by the likes of KIMI,ALONSO. Period !!
I think it is unfair to call it an "unfair advantage" because from what we have known so far, RB have gained that advantage by being better than others and not via any illegal means.

Also, "anyone can become a superstar" part is proved incorrect by Webber who could not even finish 2nd in WDC in the 4 years that RB won the WCC - not even in the years where they won it by a big margin.

While the best drivers Alonso/Kimi/Hamilton and Button (remember 2009) would probably have replicated Vettel's success in the RB, we have no way of knowing if for eg: Vettel would've replicated Alonso's performance in the Ferrari this year or Kimi's results in the Lotus.
Old 3rd December 2013, 13:13   #20
BHPian

Just want to add my perception on this "secret Technology" everyone is suggesting on Vettel's car. For a Moment if i was in christian horner's shoe, i would surely know about this secret technology. If i am running the team, i would ideally want both my drivers to do well and in return the team would score more points and ideally WCC. WDC is always good, but its bitter sweet without the WCC. So as a team Manager i would care more about the WCC as it gives me more revenue. SO if there was such a technology i would put it on both the cars if its legitimate by the FIA and let both the cars run. Calucating worst case scenarios for both cars running this device VS one car running the device, i would see less risk in running both the cars with such a technology which is clearly an advantage. So i would like people to accept this guy is a good driver in a good car. Bashing him is just like a psychological warfare in getting vettel perturbed. Vettel himself knows he is not as popular as some of his peers but he is ok with it as long as he keeps winning. And i do hope he continues to win cause one day it will stop and he knows that as well. So in my opinion this secret technology thing is just baseless allegations, unless i am proven wrong.
Old 3rd December 2013, 14:05   #21
BHPian

Vettel is a great driver no doubt, but the sport is already a boring spectacle. No fun or surprise element left in the series, its a spectacle of two or three top teams. For a bunch of years the Ferrari dominates, then Mclaren and now redbull and the cycle repeats. In comparison the V8 supercar series and the much despised NASCAR series is so much fun to watch, every turn/the one left turn there is surprise.

Note from Mod : Post edited. Please use proper punctuation and avoid...typing....like...this. Do see THIS THREAD, especially point #2, before continuing. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd December 2013 at 16:50.
Old 3rd December 2013, 18:57   #22
BHPian

Well, we cannot deny the fact that Sebastian Vettel is a 4 time world champion at the age of 26. Whatever was in the RB9 and its 3 predecessors, it had the winning formula and they were just unbeatable. The only teams that could probably beat Redbull was Lotus or Mercedes. Ferrari was totally out of the equation. But occasionally Alonso makes it stick and brings the car home with a great result.

What I feel why the RB is a proper GP winning car is simply the RB9 may not have the top speed of a Mercedes, Force India, Sauber or the Ferrari in a straight line but the RB9 makes minced meat out of all its rivals in the corners all thanks to the genius of Adrian Newey. The car is a billion light years away than anybody with its aerodynamics. This is something Mercedes and Lotus achieved to an extent and it shows where they stand now. But Ferrari was just pathetic after the summer break.

We have to admit that the first half of F1 2012 was the most exciting after a long time. 7 races and 7 different winners and that was what the sport's missing now sadly. There's no room for any sort of rivalry on the track as the pole sitter is on another time zone in the same track. Well that is just boring, honestly.

So then, I can't wait for the 2014 season. The turbos are back!!! Although they will never be anywhere near the turbo'd fire breathing monsters of the 80's but because of the new regulations, there is not much to play with the aerodynamics. 2014 is going to be a season with the biggest shakeup the sport has ever had in 20 years and that is going to tell us a lot more about what the 4 time world champion is made of. I just can't wait for the season to start.
Old 21st April 2014, 23:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
We have all read about the technical superiority of his car and how Minardi has made allegations, but I never really realized until I saw the real footage instead of reading paragraphs and paragraphs about how great his car is.
I think we need a thread on why Vettel is so slow now!
Old 22nd April 2014, 12:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

He was so used to Blown Diffuser. Now it's gone.
Old 19th September 2015, 21:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

Answer to the question is, because he is fast .

I really hope next year(2016) Ferrari can always challenge for wins.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks