Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2014, 11:57   #1
BHPian

2014 Chinese GP - Race Thread

Chinese GP at the Shanghai International Circuit this weekend, rain predicted for all 3 days, should be interesting to watch.

FACTS:
Circuit Name: Shanghai International Circuit
First Grand Prix: 2004
Number of Laps: 56
Circuit Length: 5.451 km
Race Distance: 305.066 km
Lap Record: 1:32.238 - M Schumacher (2004)
2014 tyre compounds: Soft and Medium

Timings (IST):

Friday 18 April 2014:
Practice 1: 07:30AM - 09:00AM
Practice 2: 11:30AM - 01:00PM

Saturday 19 April 2014:
Practice 3: 08:30AM - 09:30AM
Qualifying: 11:30AM - 12:30PM

Sunday 20 April 2014:
Race: 12:30PM - 2:30PM

2014 Chinese GP - Race Thread-12allianz_f1_03_china_e_72dpi_rgb.jpg

Last year's podium:
2014 Chinese GP - Race Thread-chinesegp-podium-2013.jpg
nipcarlover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 07:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2014 Chinese GP - Race Thread

FP1 to begin in a few minutes. It is interesting to note that all the three race weekends so far got rain at some point or the other with this likely to continue the trend. I assume that's a first in a long time.

It'll be really interesting and I don't think we can predict anything among the midfield runners. RBR could be a really strong in sector 2 while the Mercedes teams would be strong in sector 3. So we'll have to wait till the race to see who can keep others behind them longest.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 08:38   #3
BANNED

It will be the same Rosberg Vs Hamilton story again. Hamilton pole and Rosberg 2nd for quali. Mercedes 1-2 with Rosberg bitterly disappointed.

If it rains, then things can change !
Old 18th April 2014, 08:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
It will be the same Rosberg Vs Hamilton story again. Hamilton pole and Rosberg 2nd for quali. Mercedes 1-2 with Rosberg bitterly disappointed.

If it rains, then things can change !
This circuit suits Rosberg. There is a strong chance of him being on pole, as well as winning. I guess it will be Rosberg,Hamilton and Alonso is looking strong for third.
Old 18th April 2014, 08:49   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
This circuit suits Rosberg. There is a strong chance of him being on pole, as well as winning. I guess it will be Rosberg,Hamilton and Alonso is looking strong for third.
He does have a psychological advantage, not that it matters much. Let's wait and see. Only time will tell .
Old 18th April 2014, 09:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Alonso tops FP1. Expect Mercs to bounce back in next practice. Alonso followed by Rosberg, Ric, Button and Hulk.
Old 18th April 2014, 13:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

FP2: Alonso splits the Mercedes at the top, followed by Red Bulls.

Raikkonen though P7 was clearly off pace in all sectors compared to Alonso. His car doesn't seem to be 100% after issue that prevented him from running during FP1. Looks like Ferrari and RBR are leading the rest of the pack comfortably.

Maldonado crashes at the pit entry and says "I've crashed." Certainly an improvement considering he said "We broke something in the front" after toppling the Sauber.
Attached Thumbnails
2014 Chinese GP - Race Thread-1397806694428.jpg  

zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2014, 09:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

FP3: Most boring session so far this season with HAM, ROS and ALO not even bothering to set a lap time to save the tyres. Even the other drivers did just a handful of laps to set up the car and stayed in the pits after that.

RAI did one lap towards the end and slotted into P5 while RIC topped the session ahead of MAS and HUL. VET had some ERS issues during his run but showed similar pace to RIC.

FIA should revisit the number of full wets and Inters that they allocate for a weekend with 3/4 weekends so far this season actually needing them. The whole idea of giving an extra set of options for Q3 has not seen any result so far with most of the Q3 sessions using the green or blue sidewall tyres.
Old 19th April 2014, 12:38   #9
BANNED

What happened today can be summed by the following statement from Jackie Stewart:

“I think Lewis is the fastest driver in Formula One. He has sheer speed. When he puts in a quick one, he is the master.”

In the rain, in the drizzle, in the heat, whatever - LH never fails to amaze.

It may be a bit early to say this, barring bad luck that has chased LH for some time, I'd bet this year belongs to Lewis Hamilton. Fastest guy + fastest car = statistically highest chance of winning.

Last edited by D33-PAC : 19th April 2014 at 12:42.
Old 19th April 2014, 12:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

Stonker of a lap by Lewis. Rosberg slowly crumbling here.. the more Lewis beats him the slower he will get.
Great drive by Ric and Alonso.

A dry race will see the Mercs off into the distance, but a wet one will give Rosberg some work to do.
Red Bulls are very much at home in the rain.

Looks like a tough race for Ferrari yet again.

Last edited by Hatari : 19th April 2014 at 13:04.
Old 19th April 2014, 13:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
What happened today can be summed by the following statement from Jackie Stewart:

“I think Lewis is the fastest driver in Formula One. He has sheer speed. When he puts in a quick one, he is the master.”

In the rain, in the drizzle, in the heat, whatever - LH never fails to amaze.

It may be a bit early to say this, barring bad luck that has chased LH for some time, I'd bet this year belongs to Lewis Hamilton. Fastest guy + fastest car = statistically highest chance of winning.
Couldn't catch up with qualifying as I was caught up with other things. Just went through the text commentary. Glad to see Rosberg in P4. That's where he belongs. If RBR manages to keep the Mercedes behind them during the race, it would be good for Lewis since Rosberg is reaping more points than he really deserves just because he has the best car.

Any details on the downshift problem that is mentioned for Kimi? Anything significant to potentially impact his race? I expected him to be around P7/P8 on the grid. So not too far off I guess. Even with a good car, he'll have a tough race ahead with some slower cars ahead of him.
Old 19th April 2014, 14:35   #12
BHPian

Even I was unable to catch the qualifying and my predictions failed and how!
I really thought the psychological advantage which Rosberg has will be a big advantage for him but it ain't so.

Quite surprised by Vettel and Ric being so up in the ladder.
Alonso is stuck with number 4 and 5!

I really hope Rosberg overtakes both the Bulls and we again have a show like Bahrain between the two Mercs

-Bhargav
Old 19th April 2014, 15:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
I really hope Rosberg overtakes both the Bulls and we again have a show like Bahrain between the two Mercs
I want to see how Rosberg performs when bottled up behind Red Bulls with Alonso breathing down his throat.

The fact that he couldn't manage a front row start in 3 out of 4 races so far even after getting the best car on the grid indicates that he is not as good as some other drivers on the grid. Even if Hamilton beat him to pole, there is no excuse for not getting P2 with a Mercedes.
Old 19th April 2014, 20:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I want to see how Rosberg performs when bottled up behind Red Bulls with Alonso breathing down his throat.

The fact that he couldn't manage a front row start in 3 out of 4 races so far even after getting the best car on the grid indicates that he is not as good as some other drivers on the grid. Even if Hamilton beat him to pole, there is no excuse for not getting P2 with a Mercedes.
Nico said there was a problem with his delta time reading on the steering wheel which showed he was 6 tenths down after Sector 2 when in fact he was 2 tenths up. Therefore he took a risk on the final corner to make up some of it.

Strange how the little things can affect the big picture. Although, I dont think it will cost him much. He will get the Red Bulls at the straights, and Lewis should be quicker anyway.

For me, the last race defined the sort of racers both Merc drivers are. Nico could not get him on a set of tires that was half a second quicker.

Last edited by Hatari : 19th April 2014 at 20:28.
Old 19th April 2014, 21:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post

For me, the last race defined the sort of racers both Merc drivers are. Nico could not get him on a set of tires that was half a second quicker.
I'm no Rosberg fan! But don't you think, without safety car in the scene, he had a better chance.

Most Viewed