Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2014, 23:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

2015 - Newey's last F1 Car

Big news at Red Bull. The genius is stepping back and will only be involved in an advisory capacity from 2016 onwards.

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/vi...s_car_my_last/
Hatari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 17:10   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2015 - Newey's last F1 Car

That's quite a development. This is the first time in many years that Red Bull doesn't have a dominating car, and I think Newey's exit from hands-on design won't make anyone (including Vettel) too optimistic about the 2015 car either.

Sad to see all the greats leave one by one. Ross Brawn & now Newey. If I was Montezemolo, I'd make either of these legends an offer they can't refuse.
Old 10th June 2014, 17:34   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That's quite a development. This is the first time in many years that Red Bull doesn't have a dominating car, and I think Newey's exit from hands-on design won't make anyone (including Vettel) too optimistic about the 2015 car either.

Sad to see all the greats leave one by one. Ross Brawn & now Newey. If I was Montezemolo, I'd make either of these legends an offer they can't refuse.
>>>

Trust Ferrari to not make an offer, especially when their car is going backwards!
Newey's compensation package at RBR is 8-12 million pounds; Ferrari reportedly offered him 20. He apparently refused. Clearly an inadequate offer, possibly in terms of what he'd like to do.

Newey will likely design a 'normal' RB car, much like what McLaren did in the 1990s with Murray designing the F1.

Seems RB is confident about its technological credentials and momentum to design and build a roadmap for, possibly a road going supercar - very welcome development, if true.

I don't expect Newey will take his eyes off the RBR car, his presence will loom large. Only time will tell how hands on he will like to be.

Regards

Last edited by issigonis : 10th June 2014 at 17:35.
issigonis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 21:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If I was Montezemolo, I'd make either of these legends an offer they can't refuse.
They have apparently done that before but Newey has been adamant on not wanting to leave England and move to Italy for his family's sake.
Financial package might hardly be an issue with Ferrari.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 22:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Over the years F1 is becoming more science than art, if you get my meaning.
The regulations now are quite restrictive. Newey clearly doesnt enjoy it as much.

Red Bull have allowed him to pursue other projects that he is passionate about.. America Cup boat racing design and thus kept him away from Ferrari/Mercedes who would have enslaved him to F1.

He truly is a genius and it lay in the detail. I doubt very much that Red Bull will regain its aero supremacy in the years to come.

This leaves the prince in waiting.. James Allison..hope his talents translate into a quick Ferrari soon.
Hatari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 08:35   #6
BHPian

F1 has been lucky to witness the genuis of Newey. At the same time I feel jealous that there was not much competition for his cars. We missed some great battles because Mclaren and Ferrari made some glaring errors design wise and strategy wise from 2010 to 2014. Lets hope we get to see a mega 2015 where Newey's Red Bull, Allison's Ferrari, Costa's Mercedes, Mclaren and Williams fight out one historic championship. I'll keep dreaming.
Old 25th June 2014, 13:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Prodomou at Mclaren another genius with aero and was instrumental in getting the 4 championships for Vettel and Red Bull.

As far as I knew, Newey was only a consultant for the 2015 car. Mercedes are so quick that they are the obvious favourite for next season as well. Red bull are closest but their engine package is really weak.
Old 25th June 2014, 14:26   #8
BHPian

Prodromou arriving early to Mclaren

Ron pulls a nice trick, if I might try to find one. Good for Mclaren !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks