Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2014, 21:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ferrari to quit Formula One? Nope!

Past few hours, the media was ripe with speculation on a possible Ferrari pull out from Formula One, due to the continuous rules of FIA.
Much to the delight of F1 fans, Ferrari has denied the news by issuing a statement stating that this was just pure media speculation.

Most of the ruckus was based on Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo's statement to Wall street Journal.
The quote was;
Quote:
"Formula One isn't working," he said. "It's declining because the FIA have forgotten that people watch the racing for the excitement. Nobody watches racing for the efficiency, come on.
"People watch racing to be entertained. No one wants to watch a driver save gas or tires. They want to see them push from here to there. It's sport, yes, but also a show."
And this is Ferrari's response to the speculation;
Quote:
Some elements of the media have suggested Ferrari would quit Formula 1 to concentrate on the Le Mans 24 Hours and Endurance racing. This is a bit of a stretch based on President Luca di Montezemolo reiterating that Formula 1 needs to evolve and renew itself, while also admitting that there is a unique attraction to the 24 Hour race.

To say that after 2020, Ferrari could quit Formula 1 to concentrate on Le Mans and the Endurance championship takes his words to extremes. Plus of course, there’s nothing to stop Ferrari upping the ante and competing in both disciplines. So it’s just pure speculation.
Source: http://formula1.ferrari.com/news/fer...rmula-1-future
sarathlal is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 13:18   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ferrari to quit Formula One? Nope!

Well, at least someone significant has spoken up against the ridiculous rule changes. There's so many it's hard to keep a track of!!

A Japanese sedan with a free-flow exhaust sounds better than the current genre of F1 cars.

Fuel pitstops - a significant contributor to the excitement in races (strategy, varying fuel loads etc.) - are gone.

Tyre wars from different manufacturers & varying performance levels (e.g. Michelin's superiority on hot days) are gone.

Most F1 races today are a damn parade. Compared to the nineties, the only step forward that F1 has made is in the area of safety (no driver death since Ayrton Senna). It's been downhill otherwise.

If it weren't for diehard fans like us, F1 would be long gone. It's not exciting enough to attract the next generation.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 13:38   #3
Team-BHP Support

As a die-hard fan of F1 until the late 2000s, I have to admit I too stopped following the sport after these confusing rule changes every season. Most of them were based on improving efficiency and limiting pitstops to so-and-so, etc. The sport has become too boring for my liking, even the cars and the strategies are too restrictive compared to yesteryear F1.

In the modern era, perhaps the most enjoyable time for me as a viewer, was the Schumacher vs Hakkinen era in the 1998-2001 timeframe, and later the outrageously fast cars upto season 2004-2005 maybe? Lesser rules and restrictions, more racing fights, more entertainment!

Last edited by KarthikK : 17th June 2014 at 13:41.
KarthikK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 16:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Well, at least someone significant has spoken up against the ridiculous rule changes. There's so many it's hard to keep a track of!!
I disagree. He seems to moan a lot when he's losing and he's been losing for a very very long time. Couple of years ago he (along with Honda, Toyota, BMW - where are they now?) was against budget cuts and wanted 3 car teams. Few months ago he was worried about the sport because of high costs. I think he's now worried that with Domenicalli gone, he might be next in line if things don't improve. And these are just tactics to buy time.

BTW, FIA cannot bring in any new rule/regulation without the approval of teams (RBR, Ferrari, Mclaren, Mercedes, Williams, Lotus). Moreover Ferrari has been given special veto powers in this (I think). So the new regulations could not have been brought about without approval of Ferrari. So has he realised that he was wrong or does he want to change rules to his benefit?

Apart from the noise of the V8s (and the glorious V10s), I don't miss anything from the previous years. Less pit stops = more action on track.
asr245 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 16:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

It's so true. Good that the Ferrari chief has finally spoken out. In a bid to cut costs F1 has all but become boring. There were Sundays that I have fought with family,missed a lot of wedding receptions etc.., to be able to watch the Grand Prix.

It's all gone now and this season I must have only watched a couple of laps. A big thumbs down to the current F1 rules. The days of fuel strategy and tyre wars is truely missed.

If the rules are not made interesting enough for the spectator,they might as well pack up the circus.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 23:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

F1 is Ferrari's platform of branding. Clearly the Boss is not happy.

Tough times ahead. What I have said before and will repeat.. the only way to cut costs is cut aero spending. It has little spillover to road cars and is a big waste of F1 millions. It takes away from the show rather than adding to it. This year more than ever with the awful noses.

The engine and mechanical side have a technology transfer that one can justify for car manufacturers.

Why not have a standard front wing/floor/diffuser and rear wing. Ban wind tunnels.
Hatari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 12:30   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
F1 is Ferrari's platform of branding.
I'd say it used to be necessary for Ferrari's brand, not anymore.

We can safely assume that, seeing their pace, Ferrari won't win the driver's championship this year. Thus, it'll now be 7 years since their last championship (and 6 for the constructors).

Losing & the frequent press stories around the Ferrari team's pace would hardly do anything positive for the brand. Jaguar actually suffered negative equity after their disastrous F1 seasons.

Lamborghini & Porsche sell more cars than Ferrari without any F1 participation. Of course, Ferrari does intentionally limit the number of cars it sells in the market.

IMHO, the 'Ferrari' brand is bigger than the 'F1' brand.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 13:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

I don't think so, but it used to be decades ago. They have been losing in F1 for the 7th consecutive year in 2014, but they recorded their highest profits from car selling in 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
F1 is Ferrari's platform of branding. Clearly the Boss is not happy.
Newey disagrees to that point! The new powertrains are not greener, not cheaper, not louder and made the cars slower.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...ey-formula-one

Mclaren P1, LaFerrari. Checked out their aero effeciency and how much of technology from F1 had been taken to their road cars?

Read more on the LaFerrari's aero and how much F1 has contributed to it.
http://www.laferrari.com/en/aerodynamics/

Quote:
Tough times ahead. What I have said before and will repeat.. the only way to cut costs is cut aero spending. It has little spillover to road cars and is a big waste of F1 millions. It takes away from the show rather than adding to it. This year more than ever with the awful noses.

The engine and mechanical side have a technology transfer that one can justify for car manufacturers.
Spec series? Watch Formula Renault or the Formula Racing of the US. It will be better that F1 does not exist rather than becoming a spec series.

Quote:
Why not have a standard front wing/floor/diffuser and rear wing. Ban wind tunnels.
anachronix is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 15:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

i can completely agree to few of the comments Ferrari Boss has to say here.
Firstly, the cars sound like some vacuum cleaner or hair drier.
Second, there are so many damn rules around the car design itself!!
It was much better in 10-12 years back and even more better in the 90s, where teams used to come up with crazy ideas.
Too much restrictions are indeed making the sport boring.

However, the intentions of Ferrari are also not always great. They always complain about rules and other things when their own car does not work.!!
Old 18th June 2014, 16:33   #10
BHPian

FIA is talking about making f1 greener, more environment friendly.
There is so much fuel wasted elsewhere, wonder what issue they have with 20 3 liter or 2.4 ltr engines , how much fuel would they waste?

Worst is they want more night races (imagine what kind of energy is used to lit up a whole race track), FIA wants newer tracks which bite the dust in 2 or 3 years. How much tonnes of cement is used to make these race tracks

Why does not FiA really think about greener f1 then? Instead just make limit the races to 14 or 15 like it was in 80s and 90s

Why the hell they want efficient cars for pinnacle of Motorsport?

They talk about trickling of technology to make road cars more efficient

There is a limit to amount of electric power which can be used, engines can't be developed. Then from where would technology develop to get to road cars?

Why can't they allow a free hand to teams atleast for electric power. That way there will be more innovations, maybe super small sized batteries making lots of power. That tech will help road cars

Also not sure what's new with a turbo charged engine that a road car will benefit from it

This is like asking for a smaller cricket or a football ground for the matches

Rather abolish f1 series and get done with it.

How much ever I try , I can't relate to this new efficient or so called efficient f1

I think in few years time Ferrari, BMW, Porsche engines used in their top spec sports cars would be hitting more rpm then f1 cars and of course more power

Ferrari has already reached 732 bhp I guess. Agreed its a much bigger engine but that engine would have 20 to 30 times more life then current f1 engine
And also as far as numbers go it is matching f1
rikhav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 18:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'd say it used to be necessary for Ferrari's brand, not anymore.

We can safely assume that, seeing their pace, Ferrari won't win the driver's championship this year. Thus, it'll now be 7 years since their last championship (and 6 for the constructors).

Losing & the frequent press stories around the Ferrari team's pace would hardly do anything positive for the brand. Jaguar actually suffered negative equity after their disastrous F1 seasons.

Lamborghini & Porsche sell more cars than Ferrari without any F1 participation. Of course, Ferrari does intentionally limit the number of cars it sells in the market.

IMHO, the 'Ferrari' brand is bigger than the 'F1' brand.
Ferrari stands for excellence, and their road cars have delivered this every step of the way. So while the current 7 year drought will not diminish it, it is certainly not adding to it like Luca M wants it to.He hates wind tunnels and simulators.

Lambo was never a racing brand.. only some GT now and Porche has always been part of much smaller racing series - GT/LeMans etc. Jaguar/Renault make comfortable passenger/everyday cars essentially not purely racing cars. In contrast the Ferrari F40 had a piece of string to pull as the inside door lever!

But you are right, the Ferrari brand is larger than the F1 brand.

If the 7yrs becomes 12-15. Im sure they will pull the plug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
I don't think so, but it used to be decades ago. They have been losing in F1 for the 7th consecutive year in 2014, but they recorded their highest profits from car selling in 2013.

Newey disagrees to that point! The new powertrains are not greener, not cheaper, not louder and made the cars slower.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...ey-formula-one

Mclaren P1, LaFerrari. Checked out their aero effeciency and how much of technology from F1 had been taken to their road cars?

Read more on the LaFerrari's aero and how much F1 has contributed to it.
http://www.laferrari.com/en/aerodynamics/

Spec series? Watch Formula Renault or the Formula Racing of the US. It will be better that F1 does not exist rather than becoming a spec series.
Do refer above, coming to Newey i agree. Although being louder was not the brief that was given! The costs are huge, though the current V6s will be the platform for years to come. One should not look at it from a 2014 perspective only. Power.. thats logical is it not. This ties in with the FIA objective of keeping speeds in check. Andy Cowell has gone on record that the current engines are the most efficient ones ever produced and there is already a transfer happening to road cars with huge potential still.

Coming to LaFerrari and the P1. Ofcourse that is the objective, to make cars closest to F1 as technologically possible. But how many cars does that make precisey 499 + 375 = 874. Out of how many!!! Do the math. That is why I said minimal transfer in aero.

Spec series - I only mean standardizing/rationalizing aero spends. and I still wait for you to put out your thoughts on the current scenario since you have issues with mine.

The honeymoon of near unlimited tobacco money is long gone. Only Mercedes/Ferrari/Red Bull have the money. How will you cut costs when these 3 want to out spend everyone else.

Last edited by Hatari : 18th June 2014 at 18:50.
Old 18th June 2014, 19:00   #12
BHPian

I would vote for Ferrari to quit F1 till the F1 bosses gets their act right. Yes it is a fact that Ferrari isn't where it always is. But what is the point in seeing one person win endlessly? I love the sport and trust me, I love the red cars to death. However I am just annoyed at the current rule changes. Specially the rules that hover around efficiency like looking after the tyres. I mean you start the race with a truck load of fuel and no matter who the tyre manufacturer is, you are literally going to end up getting those tyres grated because you are carrying a lot of speed with a lot of load. Why? Alright they want to restrict fuel supply, good but why can't there be a specific amount of fuel that can be used per race weekend and why don't they leave it to the teams to work around a fuel strategy as well. Why should there be a single tyre supplier? DRS, KERS, brake by wire WHY?

The sport has become so conservative and concentrating only of efficiency and budget cuts. Come on, this is the pinnacle or all things on 4 wheels. If I was the Ferrari boss, I would quit the circus and move on to better stuff than get people to hate a brand like Ferrari. I am sorry this post well if somebody's reading it is a bit long but just have a look at teams like Sauber and Lotus. Both these teams had a wonderful season in 2013 but now? I seriously feel 2013 with all the rule changes was probably the most exciting in a long time of boring ones. At least nobody could predict whose season it was for 7 races straight. The good old F1 is dead.
Old 18th June 2014, 20:13   #13
BHPian

Sarathlal - Over the years I've lost interest in F1 and stopped following it, but thanks for kicking of this thread. Interesting to know that Ferarri is looking to leave F1.

Its also particularly interesting, as even when I was quite into F1, my picks were Williams Renault during Damon Hill's championship win, and Mclaren during Mika Häkkinen and David Coulthard's time. So Ferrari was almost always the arch rival.

GTO - I agree that 'Ferrari' is a bigger brand than 'F1'. There are a lot of people who dont know the sport. Speak of F1, and some of them would blink. Ferrari on the other hand is pretty much known to all. Quite easily a much more popular brand.
Old 18th June 2014, 20:49   #14
BHPian

When Michael won the championship in 2000, it was after a wait of 21 years that Ferrari won the Driver's championship. So they surely are not inexperienced in having a dry period.

In fact, Ferrari were a constant mid field team unless Schumi came in and then rest is just record breaking history.

This recent rant is just a way to get the emotions flowing from tifosis I guess, so that they don't demand further heads to fall given the dismal performance by the team. Also it works like an arm twisting of FIA in order to consider more technical demands favouring Ferrari when they sit for the next draft.

I have been following F1 for two decades now and yes I do feel cars are not so edgy anymore, at least from a viewer perspective. But with the improvements in aerodynamics, some of these rules were necessary otherwise people could simply not overtake as they would not be able to drive in slipstream.

I agree DRS may not be the most elegant solution but things like Energy Recovery System may help (look at the reviews of McLaren P1, Porsche 928, LaFerrari - F1 tech helping road cars and how).

What I do miss are the qualifying format of 90s, 12 laps each with flat out performance.

Last edited by vivekz : 18th June 2014 at 20:50.
vivekz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 01:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

A Japanese sedan with a free-flow exhaust sounds better than the current genre of F1 cars.

Fuel pitstops - a significant contributor to the excitement in races (strategy, varying fuel loads etc.) - are gone.

Tyre wars from different manufacturers & varying performance levels (e.g. Michelin's superiority on hot days) are gone.

Most F1 races today are a damn parade. Compared to the nineties, the only step forward that F1 has made is in the area of safety (no driver death since Ayrton Senna). It's been downhill otherwise.

If it weren't for diehard fans like us, F1 would be long gone. It's not exciting enough to attract the next generation.
- Yes. They sound like poo.

- No. Not really when it came to fuel. Race strategy however, still and always has existed. More recently, One can have a look at FI for examples of excellent strategy out resulting in out performing quicker cars.

- Tyre Wars. A War would imply both sides had a chance of winning. There was no war, As I remember it was a single manufacturer who stomped the competition.

- I find races today less of a parade than in the late 90s early 2000s. Yes Mercedes is very strong this year but since 2004 I find the past decade to be more interesting than the one preceding it.

- I will agree, More needs to be done to attract the next generation. They seem to have a shorter attention span.

As for the Original topic. As with previous threats this is complete non-sense. The platform F1 provides to Ferrari is immense and they would be retarded to quit, they know it.

Luca wanted cheap publicity for his cause(complete failure and hence desire to unfreeze) and he got it. He realises the position(disadvantageous) Ferrari is in given the regulations on engine development and how they will always have a car that lacks power till the next engine regs. come into play. More Importantly, He wishes not to loose face by possibly loosing his star driver as a result.
I thought no one man was above the team at Ferrari? Luca ; ). Aaaah Ferrari politics never get old ^_^.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks