Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2014, 17:46   #1
BHPian

Pirelli testing low-profile Tyres for F1

Pirelli has released computer-generated images of the new 18-inch, low-profile tyres it will be testing at Silverstone on Wednesday

The tyres are a development concept rather than a ready-to-race product, but will be run by Charles Pic in the current Lotus on Wednesday. Pirelli said it was unlikely low-profile tyres would feature until 2017, but that it would be keen to make them for 19- or 20-inch rims to differentiate F1 from other series like the World Endurance Championship and Formula E that run 18-inch tyres

Wednesday's tyres are being run purely so teams and fans can get an idea of what the new tyres would look like rather than a true test of performance.

Source [Video at source link]
rshanker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 11:58   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pirelli testing low-profile Tyres for F1

Bigger rims = bigger brakes . F1 cars already brake like no other racer out there, can only imagine the sheer braking force if this goes through.

That said, it could lead to additional weight & a complete design of the suspension. The currently tall sidewalls provide an awesome amount of damping.
Old 9th July 2014, 14:09   #3
BHPian

Here's your first look at how the 18" rims with those low-profile tyres would look

Source - ESPN F1
Attached Thumbnails
Pirelli testing low-profile Tyres for F1-lotuspirelli1.jpg  

Pirelli testing low-profile Tyres for F1-lotuspirelli2.jpg  

rshanker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 21:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

This is absolute garbage.

The fat tyres along with the noise(R.I.P) are/were the visual and aural identity of F1 cars for many decades. Here I was wishing for the even fatter(wider) tyres from the 80s to come back for the new found torque.
Atleast we may get Titanium skid plates back....
It's my understanding all 11 teams need to approve this for it to go through. So if any team finds a massive performance loss/requirement for complete overhaul as a result of 18" and related costs too much, the entire thing could be scrapped.

Thanks for pictures rshanker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That said, it could lead to additional weight & a complete design of the suspension. The currently tall sidewalls provide an awesome amount of damping.
You are spot on GTO. Sidewalls are integral with the handling of the current F1 car. It's size is very relevant in the car setup as most of the suspension travel comes from the tyres.
Aside from Handling, The brakes would be easier to cool as well. Additionally it would be possible to add Aerodynamic elements in the wheel hub to feed air to the diffuser.

Last edited by Maky : 9th July 2014 at 21:51. Reason: on request
Maky is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 08:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Pirelli & FIA are making F1 a BIG JOKE!

Found this on Facebook!

Pirelli testing low-profile Tyres for F1-vosii3c.jpg
anachronix is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 08:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Somehow I prefer the bulbous 13" tyres on the F1 single seaters.

The spine is going to take such a beating over the bumps and kerbs now. The total weight of the tyre plus wheel is 4KG heavier apparently.
deetjohn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 15:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

It's not too bad to look at. People will get used to it soon but exactly is the advantage of bigger wheels? (i am assuming circumference on tyres won't change). Will the need for new suspension systems cost the team more than it does? If yes, some teams aren't going to be thrilled with that.
Old 10th July 2014, 15:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
It's not too bad to look at. People will get used to it soon but exactly is the advantage of bigger wheels? (i am assuming circumference on tyres won't change).
It would be more relevant development to the tyre manufacturer to current road going tyres.
Side tyre 'wall' becomes shorter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Will the need for new suspension systems cost the team more than it does? If yes, some teams aren't going to be thrilled with that.
Yes, as mentioned.
Old 15th July 2014, 08:56   #9

Looks like Lotus is backing Pirelli.

http://en.espnf1.com/lotusf1/motorsp...ry/167063.html

I guess safety is something the engineers will be looking at very thoroughly. Remember Raikkonen in Silverstone? If wheels fly off in multiple directions, they just got heavier!

But as GTO pointed out, allows for bigger brakes and hence more energy for the KERS system - means more stopping power + more acceleration - which gets dampened by the added weight of both the tires and suspension.
hamsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 12:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/0...file-f1-tyres/

Mark Gillian seems to think it would be good for F1 (with active suspension) & will not add cost.
asr245 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 08:16   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Pirelli thinks that a move to low profile tyres is unlikely.

Quote:
"I think the marketing department would like to keep 13-inch and a nice big sidewall for the branding, which we don't have to pay for - every cloud has a silver lining! We will do what the sport wants and we will try and find solutions to what they want."

Hembery said the cost of developing a car for low-profile tyres, the added weight of the larger rims and the overall look of the tyres are the main reasons the sport is against abandoning the current tyres.
Source - ESPN
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 11:36   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
It would be more relevant development to the tyre manufacturer to current road going tyres. Side tyre 'wall' becomes shorter.
I've heard this argument made, and need to call BS on it. We've been told time and again that F1 tires and road tires have very little in common, other than the manufacturer name.

If this is the argument they're using, then they need to make tires that last an entire weekend (~1000 kms) which will at least mean their lifespan approaches that of road tires (yes, I've put in a huge allowance to cater to the loads/stresses that F1 tires will endure, compared to road use).

This will at least force them to focus on compounds that truly have relevance to road tires.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 18:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I've heard this argument made, and need to call BS on it. We've been told time and again that F1 tires and road tires have very little in common, other than the manufacturer name.

If this is the argument they're using, then they need to make tires that last an entire weekend (~1000 kms) which will at least mean their lifespan approaches that of road tires (yes, I've put in a huge allowance to cater to the loads/stresses that F1 tires will endure, compared to road use).

This will at least force them to focus on compounds that truly have relevance to road tires.
I once read an article long ago that quoted one of these tyre guys saying that it was easy to make a tyre that lasts an entire weekend, they've done so in the past during tyre wars and commercial tyres are designed to last a couple tens of thousands of Kms as it is.
That it was more difficult to design tyres which have shorter walls and with high grip under given stress/temps, that it was easy to do it with bulbous tyres. I can't find the article now but it was something along those lines, which is why they are pushing for tyres with shorter walls. I don't have technical knowledge on tyres but it made sense.

I now think F1 cars wouldn't look like F1 cars if they didn't have those large fat tyres. It's been like that since ages and I hope they won't change it.
Also, you quoted a nearly year old post : P.
Maky is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 20:23   #14
BHPian

Apart from the suspension & Aerodynamics re-design aspects, the possibility of tech. transfer always comes up in the tyre talks.

Formula 1's ruling body, the FIA, opened up the tyre tender contract for the sport from 2017 at the end of last month, inviting companies interested in applying for the 2017, 2018 and 2019 deal.

Current supplier Pirelli has already confirmed it has applied. Tyre makers have until June 17 to lodge their applications. Michelin will not apply to become Formula 1's tyre supplier if the sport continues to use 13-inch wheels.

While Pirelli said the wheel size was not crucial to its plans, Michelin says it is not interested in joining Formula 1 unless regulations change.

"The 13-inch tyres are not used by any road cars and maybe should give the highest performance for only 10 laps. That's not what we want to show." They said.

Source: http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mi...ent-wheel-size
Old 4th June 2015, 15:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

Seems to me the FIA are quite keen on getting Michelin on-board as the official tyre supplier. Pirelli must feel threatened so they are out there looking at the possibility of running low profile tyres.

I was under the impression that low-profile tyres with wider rear (wider than current spec) was the proposal for 2017?!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks