Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2015, 05:32   #1
BHPian

Rumour: Volkswagen to buy Redbull F1 team

According to following report, Volkswagen is close in signing up a deal with Red Bull to take over Red Bull F1 team. VW will build engine and chassis and Red Bull will remain major sponsored. However, as per the article, VW won't be ready with engine until 2018 and Red Bull will use Ferrari engine till then. Here is the full article:

http://m.bbc.com/sport/formula1/34297046
Nitrous Power is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 17:19   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rumour: Volkswagen to buy Redbull F1 team

This will be incredible for the sport . VW has endless reserves of $$$, F1 stands to gain from VW's might.

In fact, considering how big VW & F1 are in Europe, I always used to wonder why VW hasn't been competing in F1.

I'm sure Mercedes' success provided some of the motivation . Agreed with the news articles. Audi branding is most likely. Equally, VW better realise that $$$ alone isn't enough. Jaguar & BMW learned that the hard way.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 17:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

Big manufactures always welcome in F1! The more the merrier. I hope Bernie cuts a sweet deal. I am a little surprised though, given Honda's struggles that they would want to enter. Maybe Red Bull offered them a really good deal, honestly I don't see Ferrari offering them a current spec engine. Was this the only option left?

Last edited by Hatari : 19th September 2015 at 17:59.
Hatari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 22:01   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This will be incredible for the sport . VW has endless reserves of $$$, F1 stands to gain from VW's might.

In fact, considering how big VW & F1 are in Europe, I always used to wonder why VW hasn't been competing in F1.

I'm sure Mercedes' success provided some of the motivation . Agreed with the news articles. Audi branding is most likely. Equally, VW better realise that $$$ alone isn't enough. Jaguar & BMW learned that the hard way.
It has to be Audi branding only. That's the safest bet VAG can play. VW brand won't have enough pull in Formula 1 and VAG can't take a risk of going with Porsche brand as it competes directly with Ferrari for road going cars. Any failure in F1 with Porsche brand can have direct impact on their sales as well. so natuarlly it makes sense to go with Audi branding.
Nitrous Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 15:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

This is great news. But this news been floating for the last few years already. I just hope the recent emissions scams and the big ticket fine which is very very likely doesn't throw a big spanner into the proceedings. Hope I am wrong. F1 really can do with two or more factory teams in addition.

And if they indeed are going to use Ferrari power, till a suitable engine is made. Then its going to be Audi branding for sure. Toro Rosso had a very good partnership with Ferrari till 2013.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 07:56   #6
BHPian

German publication Bild reported that Audi were to pull out of DTM and the WEC to join F1. The route into the sport would be to buy Red Bull Racing and enter the sport with an Audi engine in 2018.

The bad news for Christian Horner was that Bild claims Stefano Domenicali is lined up as team Principal for the team.

However, Audi responded claiming the Bild report was “pure speculation which requires no further comment.”

Maybe they have bigger problems than that in their hands in the form of the emissions test cheat scandal.
Old 22nd September 2015, 09:56   #7
Team-BHP Support

Even assuming the long-standing rumours were finally coming to fruition, the whole emissions scandal may throw the proverbial spanner in the works. VW shares have tanked a fair bit and a BIG fine seems inevitable in the sue-crazy US if the allegations are proven to be true.

A shame really, as another manufacturer with a long-term commitment would be a good thing for the sport but VW may be forced to prioritize other things.
Old 22nd September 2015, 10:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Audi branding is most likely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
It has to be Audi branding only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Then its going to be Audi branding for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfxavier View Post
enter the sport with an Audi engine in 2018.
But VW also owns Lamborghini, Bugatti & Bently. Won't it make more sense to use one of these names.
Old 22nd September 2015, 10:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

EJ's predictions of the F1 future. He has been spot on with his predictions off-late!

anachronix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 11:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The answer to that is Ferdinand Piech. He was completely against spending money on F1. The new boss has apparently had a few meeting with Mateschitz about taking over Red Bull. Hopefully this will open avenues for teams like BMW to return to F1.

I for one would love to see the Lamborghini or Bugatti branding and should also be a selling point for their road cars (not that they need one but it helps). Audi can stick to WEC. I would be surprised if Audi gave up on the WEC.
Old 24th September 2015, 11:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

I wonder how the lastest VW scandal and resignation will affect thoughts on their F1 project. In a way, it could a huge positive in terms of PR. WIll give them something else to talk about.
Hatari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 08:10   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Porsche set to enter F1 with 50% stake in Red Bull.

The documents state that Porsche is aiming to jump into a 10-year partnership with Red Bull, which will also include a 50 per cent stake in the Milton-Keynes squad.

Part of the procedure is to obtain the all-clear from anti-cartel authorities around the world, ensuring that there are no inappropriate involvement in the two companies forming a partnership.

This includes inside the European Union, however applications must also be sent to 20 countries outside the EU.

One of these countries is Morocco, whose government legislation states that applications are subject to mandatory publication once they are approved.

The documents suggest that the partnership will be announced formally on August 4.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 28th July 2022 at 08:12.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks