Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2015, 10:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Jenson Button to retire? EDIT: Stays at McLaren for 2016

Rumours of 2009 F1 champion Jenson Button retiring continue to pour in, but his plans are yet to be confirmed. Reports suggest that Button will announce his retirement at the Japanese GP. The decision to conclude his 16-year career has been speculated for a while, with repeated problems with his car only adding fuel to the fire.

The 35-year old is believed to still be in talks with McLaren regarding the 2016 season. The Honda engines have been letting the McLaren-Honda drivers down and the frustration for McLaren-Honda fans continues to rise. The team even held a crisis talk ahead of the Japanese GP with McLaren racing director Eric Boullier travelling to the Japanese automaker's base in Sakura, Japan to discuss the ruined race at Singapore.

While Button hasn’t announced his retirement, he hasn't denied the possibility during any media interactions. It suffices to say that a lot more eyes will be on Mclaren-Honda's performance at Suzuka. In other news, the possibility of Button retiring has been accompanied by rumours that he may be the latest addition to the Top Gear UK crew.

Jenson Button to retire? EDIT: Stays at McLaren for 2016-1.jpg

Last edited by Tushar : 25th September 2015 at 10:58.
Tushar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 11:47   #2
BANNED

re: Jenson Button to retire? EDIT: Stays at McLaren for 2016

Buttons best days, like Alonso's are behind him.
Old 25th September 2015, 16:38   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hardly surprising seeing how poor the McLaren-Honda is. So slow that it'll take a couple of years before the car can be a frontrunner. Neither Jenson nor Fernando have that many driving years left in their career.

Not like there are any seats available at the top teams either, so why hang around? Better to retire gracefully. I fully expect Alonso to follow Jenson soon.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 17:39   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Most F1 news sites and channels are UK-based, so they attach a lot of romanticism to Jenson Button, and his departure. You'd think that someone at the top of their game was leaving, reading those reports

I believe its time for him to move on - the last time he really shone was when he gave Lewis Hamilton a good challenge in McLaren back in 2010/2011. McLaren's recent ineptitude in car design haven't helped matters either.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 21:42   #5
BHPian

Maybe JBs friends from the media are trying to arm him better in the negotiations with McLaren for a payrise.
I am sure the McLaren twitter feed and FB accounts are saturated with angry fans going after the team.
McLaren's Jonathan Neale was asked about the recent media reports and this is how he responded to it.
With Stoffel and Kevin waiting on the sidelines, McLaren might want to re-negotiate the wages with JB. Afterall they are going through a tough time financially.
Quote:
JN: I get the sense from the media there was a big anti-climax yesterday and there was a lot of discussion about where Jenson was at. Jenson is a fantastic guy, a world champion and a big part of the family at Honda and McLaren – he’s been with us for six seasons – and we’re contracted with him, we want him to stay, we like him very much. But if your driver doesn’t really want to be in the seat we have to respect that. I really hope that we have done enough between us to continue those discussions with him and have the confidence to have him with us, and that’s what we’d like.

Last edited by jfxavier : 25th September 2015 at 21:45.
jfxavier is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 07:44   #6
BHPian

Maybe need to rename the thread - Jenson not to retire..
jfxavier is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 09:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

I will still say the odds are that he will call it a day. As for Alonso he is different so I am not sure. I do not see any competitive drive coming Button's way.
Old 28th September 2015, 10:04   #8
BHPian

I say, JB should WAIT.. Honda ain't no newbie to not be able to figure out, where the problem is and how to go bout it! I am sure, they are not just sitting on the problem that they have in hand!

Anyway, he has a 2 year contract with the team, he should just exercise it and decide what he wants to do with this career probably next year!
Old 28th September 2015, 10:40   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a tough spot.
Noone wants JB.
But no driver thinking about his future wants to be in the McL, either. And neither will McL want to be the breeding ground for new young drivers who eat, shoot and leave.
I think theyre bound to each other for the coming years.
As it is, Alonso will definitely be out next year, unless the team delivers glitters of brilliance. So far they have been skidmarks of stupidity. Even if he doesn't manage to get out, I think he'll be calling in sick most of the races.
As should JB. He is now looking like someone who's holding onto a sarkari job!"Chal raha hai."
Old 28th September 2015, 10:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

My take :

JB had a 2 year contract, with the 2nd year being an option. Originally JB wanted to stay and had begun negotiations, which McLaren probably wanted to revise downwards. He then might have got a little frustrated, results not helping and begun hinting retirement.
This put McLaren on the back foot, JB leaving would mean their own driver losing faith for 2016 and would have had a negative impact on sponsors/morale etc.

Now, Ron has softened his stand and given in to a degree to ensure JB stays.
Old 1st October 2015, 15:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
This is a tough spot.
Noone wants JB.
But no driver thinking about his future wants to be in the McL, either. And neither will McL want to be the breeding ground for new young drivers who eat, shoot and leave.
I think theyre bound to each other for the coming years.
As it is, Alonso will definitely be out next year, unless the team delivers glitters of brilliance. So far they have been skidmarks of stupidity. Even if he doesn't manage to get out, I think he'll be calling in sick most of the races.
As should JB. He is now looking like someone who's holding onto a sarkari job!"Chal raha hai."
Confirmed, McLaren do.
If next year's car is also a dud, with no other competitive seats available, Alonso will have $37 million reasons to finish the season!
Old 1st October 2015, 15:08   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
Confirmed, McLaren do.
If next year's car is also a dud, with no other competitive seats available, Alonso will have $37 million reasons to finish the season!
JB stays with McLaren for 2016.

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-...n-in-2016.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks