Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2016, 14:31   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
The halo device prototype tested by Ferrari was not removable by the driver, but the proposal is to have something the driver can remove himself. So, I think, unless the airbox structure itself is destroyed, there will be no danger to driver getting stuck in the car.

Do you really think a removable halo will not get mangled in a crash? I think it will. And that will make it un-removable, no doubt.
Anyway here's what a few experts, including Alonso himself, think of it-

Fernando Alonso's accident will be a good test case for fully understanding any downsides to the introduction of the Halo in Formula 1, say leading figures.

Coming so soon after the first concept designs for the Halo emerged, his accident has inevitably focused thoughts on one of the downsides of closed cockpits, that it could be harder for drivers to get out of cars.
Speaking about possible complications, Alonso said: "It's something we need to look and investigate, because I had a little space to go out.
"It was easy for me to go out and we need to see with the Halo if that could become more difficult, so we need to investigate."

The investigations over Alonso's accident will be helped by the fact that it is the first big crash that has been recorded by the FIA's new Ultra High Speed cameras.
Williams technical chief Pat Symonds said the extra insight would be fascinating, and will also help deliver more answers about the implications of a Halo system.
"I guess it's the first time we're going to see something from our high-speed cameras, which will be quite interesting," he said.
"The high-speed cameras and the accelerometers, we'll be able to see exactly where his head was. And it will be possible to super impose that on an undamaged Halo position.
"As you know from the rally car stuff, if you get safety structures near the drivers head and the driver impacts, then you're much worse off than having nothing."

Source: http://www.motor1.com/news/61753/alo...case-for-halo/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks