Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2017, 18:54   #1
BHPian

Porsche follows Audi out of World Endurance Championship; headed to Formula E!

After Audi left World Endurance Championship (WEC) to make the 24 hours races as basically a two man fight to the top, it is confirmed that Porsche is also moving out of WEC.

Porsche has announced it will quit the FIA World Endurance Championship’s top-flight LMP1 division at the end of the season.

Porsche came back to WEC in 2014 and has basically ruled the roost since.

Quote:
Looking at the current top-tier LMP1 class, it starts to make sense. The departure of Audi last year left just Porsche and Toyota as full manufacturer teams, and it’s looking unlikely that any privateer entrant is willing to step up thanks to the massive cost of entry. Even Porsche is reportedly having a hard time swallowing the estimated $200 million lump each full season, according to the report.

When Porsche withdraws, just Toyota will remain in the hybrid LMP1 class, competing against the non-hybridized ByKolles Racing LMP1. It’s not looking good for Toyota fans who are hoping for a Toyota-only field. The World Championship requires at least three registered manufacturers.
Without such financial powerhouses moving out of the LMP1 category, we could probably staring at the end of technological masterpieces that these cars represented. Though i never had the patience to follow the 24 hours of racing. Reading about those 24 hours and videos from Chris Harris over these races was something i always enjoyed.

Quote:
Despite the winning record of the 919 Hybrid program, which earned three consecutive victories at Le Mans, it looks like Porsche is settling its sights on Formula E. The electric open-wheeled series is massively cheaper than a full-bore LMP1 WEC program and may align closer to what automakers see is the future of their respective road cars.

Porsche confirmed the news in a statement today. “This realignment of motorsport activities for Porsche stems from the direction set out for the company in Porsche Strategy 2025, which will see Porsche develop a combination of pure GT vehicles and fully electric sports cars,” the automaker said.

Porsche is reportedly headed the Formula E way.
Quote:
Following Audi’s departure from WEC for Formula E last year, high-end automakers have dipped their foot in the Formula E pool, including Jaguar and BMW. Mercedes-Benz just announced its surprise departure from DTM for the eco-friendly series, now running in-tandem with its Formula 1 efforts.
With Audi already entrenched in Formula E for now, VAG management would sure be looking for synergies in their operations here as well.

Porsche quotes to use it as test bed to develop all electric Tesla Model S beater, the Mission E.
Quote:
Entering Formula E and achieving success in this category are the logical outcomes of our Mission E road car programme,” said Porsche board member Michael Steiner.

“The growing freedom for in-house technology developments makes Formula E attractive to us. Formula E is the ultimate competitive environment for driving forward the development of high-performance vehicles in areas such as environmental friendliness, efficiency and sustainability.”
Formula E is headed in the right way with so many high profile entrants. The attendance levels should probably go up with highly competitive environment and we could see drivers shifting to this race type.

Source
Motortrend
Top Gear
rohitoasis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 13:20   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Porsche follows Audi out of World Endurance Championship; headed to Formula E!

First BMW, then Mercedes, now Porsche! Definitely a good month for Formula E. Let's not forget that Audi is already committed to the sport. Although, I'm left wondering how much of this is for motorsport and how much is for their 'green' image.

Just hope they find a way to make the racing more interesting. In its current format, the show is damn boring.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 18:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Porsche follows Audi out of World Endurance Championship; headed to Formula E!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
First BMW, then Mercedes, now Porsche! Definitely a good month for Formula E. Let's not forget that Audi is already committed to the sport. Although, I'm left wondering how much of this is for motorsport and how much is for their 'green' image.

Just hope they find a way to make the racing more interesting. In its current format, the show is damn boring.
One of key reasons why it is boring to watch, is because all the cars are more or less similar except for the power-train.
Manufacturers should be given freedom to come up with their own crazy designs (Like LeMans series), that is when things become interesting.

Currently, the Chassis & aero looks way too simple and crude. (Though I am no expert at aerodynamics).

Thirdly, the cars are rated at around 250 horsepower (190 kW) with a maximum speed of 225 km/h (140 mph). That is just too slow!

On a side note, it is ironic to note that the big names (BMW, Merc etc) trying to enter Formula E are yet to properly enter the Fully Electric Passenger Vehicle scene, whereas a non-participant like Tesla has already taken a huge lead in the business.

Last edited by abhishek46 : 2nd August 2017 at 18:19. Reason: added comment
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 06:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Not good for WEC! LMP1 is the toast of WEC.

With Porsche' exit, this classy advt is now looking very ironic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A lot of that is down to the sound or the lack of it. Watching the race is annoying as all you get to hear is the constant whining of the electric motor like in a dentist's drill.

In comparison, this is how the IC engines sound at Le Mans. We are going to miss it when they are gone!

deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 12:25   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Watching the race is annoying as all you get to hear is the constant whining of the electric motor like in a dentist's drill.
In comparison, this is how the IC engines sound at Le Mans. We are going to miss it when they are gone!
Yet, I'm sure the dinosaurs were big, brash, & loud; today all one can see of them is their fossilised remains in museums.

That said, this brings up an interesting question, what is it about motorsport that draws the enthusiast ?
Surely, it is more than just the sound of the I.C. engine ?
Would the "enthusiast" be happy if the Formula-E cars were fitted with speakers that duplicated the sound of an I.C. engine

For all the enthusiasts who bemoan the looming demise of the I.C. engine, would such an auditory device make you switch sides, so to speak ?
Think about it, your e-vehicle could have the sound of any engine you wish, an F1 engine screaming at 20,000 RPM, a Jet engine if you're into that sort of thing, & even a steam locomotive for the nostalgic.
You could change the volume to suit your mood, & best of all, complete silence when you're in a contemplative frame of mind.

I for one, 'am glad that the major manufacturers have seen the writing on the wall & switching to electric.
Having experienced a full-on acceleration run down the quarter-mile in a Tesla S ( a P100D ), I'm now, unashamedly, a convert.
The acceleration is violent enough to make you gasp for breath, this is certainly no tree-hugging, latte-sipping, snowflake's automobile.

And the best part, for me, was the sheer lack of drama, none of the pomp & circumstance that one experiences with an I.C. engine, just pure acceleration

Fellow enthusiasts, the I.C. engine has had a glorious reign of a century & change, but there's a new sheriff in town.
~

Last edited by im_srini : 3rd August 2017 at 12:30.
Old 3rd August 2017, 13:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Surely, it is more than just the sound of the I.C. engine ?
Yes, absolutely! Else, we all would have stopped watching F1 once the V8s were also ditched for 'em hybrids.

Quote:
Would the "enthusiast" be happy if the Formula-E cars were fitted with speakers that duplicated the sound of an I.C. engine

For all the enthusiasts who bemoan the looming demise of the I.C. engine, would such an auditory device make you switch sides, so to speak ?
The answer is No! Racing is a very emotional sport, so it has to be pure.

A synthetic sound will not work. Only when the pops and bangs make a machine go faster and faster, will it get a meaning!

Not with me still? Let me know which will you pick from the options below:
1) Watching Iron Maiden perform live OR
2) Watching their album on your Bose home theater system.

I think I know what you'll pick.

Quote:
Think about it, your e-vehicle could have the sound of any engine you wish, an F1 engine screaming at 20,000 RPM, a Jet engine if you're into that sort of thing, & even a steam locomotive for the nostalgic.
We even complain about the synthetic sounds made by new age BMWs. So, it's really a long shot for racing.

Quote:
I for one, 'am glad that the major manufacturers have seen the writing on the wall & switching to electric.....Fellow enthusiasts, the I.C. engine has had a glorious reign of a century & change, but there's a new sheriff in town.
I am glad for you, but let's not be overtly dramatic.

No one is missing the writing on the wall. Electric power is here to stay and combustion engines will slowly be pushed into niche applications, and maybe one of those will be some form of motor racing. Who knows? All I wanted to say was that, we are going to miss it badly once its all gone!
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2017, 12:31   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Let me know which will you pick from the options below :
1) Watching Iron Maiden perform live OR
2) Watching their album on your Bose home theater system.
Neither... I consider neither musical, but then, that's just me

Quote:
I am glad for you, but let's not be overtly dramatic.
I apologize for coming across as "dramatic", my intention was humour, not drama.

But, for those who prefer less drama, electric is just the thing.

Shortly before being catapulted down the strip in the Tesla, I got to ride shot-gun in a 2JZ Supra.
The beast had billet internals, a 'uge turbo, methanol injection, not to mention a plethora of other "go-fast" paraphernalia.
The demonic engine note, the smell of methanol, the sound of the turbo spooling up, the burn-outs, the blazing quarter-mile time, it was all an insane potpourri of, for want of a better word, "petrol-headedness" & machismo.

And then it was the turn of the Tesla, all the driver did was switch to "Ludicrous" mode, the menu for which itself was really cool, it was nice to see that at least some engineers had a sense of humour.
When the light turned green... Wham ! It was like being shot down the tarmac !
Did I mention the Tesla beat the time of the Supra by a healthy two-hundreths of a second ?
I came away from the experience feeling like...

Quote:
All I wanted to say was that, we are going to miss it badly once its all gone !
I concur that the I.C. engine will be missed, but I suspect not badly, but more as a fond remembrance to times when we used explosions & pollution as means to get around.

Not only in major motorsport, but even at the enthusiast level the tide has begun to change, it was amusing to watch the SRTs, the STIs, even the big V-8s shy away from a head-to-head with the Tesla.
I think the true enthusiast is in safe hands with the new electrics

I've said my piece, peace...

Last edited by im_srini : 5th August 2017 at 12:34.
Old 6th August 2017, 08:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Neither... I consider neither musical, but then, that's just me
Fair enough! And it really doesn't matter. To get my point, just replace Iron Maiden with any artist or a band you like.

Quote:
But, for those who prefer less drama, electric is just the thing.....When the light turned green... Wham ! It was like being shot down the tarmac !
Did I mention the Tesla beat the time of the Supra by a healthy two-hundreths of a second?
I have never been inside a Model S. Have only seen some go from the outside. The closest I can equate will be a fast accelerating roller coaster. And, the point I am trying to make is that acceleration is not the whole picture, there is a lot more to loving a car than just acceleration.

And its not just drama too! It's engaging with your multiple senses. Tesla for all its brilliance feels uni-dimensional. Yeah, the brand is doing well and doing good for the planet. But let's give them some time to get there. Nowadays, everyone just holds up the brand to get instant cred. I don't think its fair on Tesla.

Also, let's not move away from the point of this thread here. We aren't comparing family cars that John Doe will be driving. We 'were' comparing Formula E vs. WEC.

And watch this glorious video to get an essence of endurance racing and IC engines.

At the very least, let this thread have some relevant YouTube videos.

Quote:
I think the true enthusiast is in safe hands with the new electrics
Nice dig there!
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks