Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2017, 13:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

FIA changes Formula 1 rules to include Halo cockpits

In July 2017, the Formula 1 management had confirmed the inclusion of the Secondary Roll Structure (Halo) for the 2018 season. Now, the FIA has made the necessary changes to the Formula 1 regulations and announced the specifications and testing parameters of the halo.

The changes to the Formula 1 regulations were approved by World Motor Sport Council. Originally stated for the 2017 season, the move was delayed due to very few test laps by the cars equipped with a halo. The technical specifications released by the FIA not only mention the positioning and size of the halo, but also the load tests that it must pass.

A change has also been made to the driver extraction rules - the time taken by the driver to get out of a car without assistance. Due to the inclusion of the halo, this time has now been increased from 5 seconds to 7 seconds. The overall time for the driver to remove the steering wheel, get out and replace the wheel has also been increased from 10 seconds to 12 seconds. The council also approved strengthening of the chassis as well as improvements in the wheel retention system.

The deaths of drivers Jules Bianchi and Dan Wheldon were speculated to be preventable if there had been more protection.

FIA changes Formula 1 rules to include Halo cockpits-halo1.jpg

FIA changes Formula 1 rules to include Halo cockpits-halo2.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by blackwasp : 25th September 2017 at 13:42.
blackwasp is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 15:14   #2

Re: FIA changes Formula 1 rules to include Halo cockpits

I wonder how the visibility of the driver will be compared to traditional roll-cage setup. This design is putting a 1 inch thick beam bang in middle of the drivers straight line view.
speedogod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 15:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Have to note that this contraption looks ugly to the core, like a bull horn ornament impaled on to the bonnet of some pre-historic american flash mobile.

FIA changes Formula 1 rules to include Halo cockpits-resizeimagefilter.jpg

I am surprised this does not hamper visibility.
Rather they could have come up with a strengthened glass/metal canopy (Like LeMans Cars).
abhishek46 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 21:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedogod View Post
I wonder how the visibility of the driver will be compared to traditional roll-cage setup. This design is putting a 1 inch thick beam bang in middle of the drivers straight line view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
I am surprised this does not hamper visibility.
Rather they could have come up with a strengthened glass/metal canopy (Like LeMans Cars).
A F1 driver doesn't see that much anyways. They know the car (exactly where the wheels are, the wing is etc.) and the track (the lines, kerbs etc). And the Halo doesn't affect whatever they should see.

At max, it looks like a fat antenna in the middle. The thick beam at the center is mounted longitudinally and not across. So, its thin from a driver' perspective. And top portion is much above the eye level. Actually, it can help the visibility by blocking the sun rays. Hope all drivers will be able to see the starting lights on all circuits with the halo - we do have some grids which are not straights.

Check out the vantage from this POV cam for reference below.
FIA changes Formula 1 rules to include Halo cockpits-capture.jpg

My main concern is the way the car looks with it though. A certain charm of being an open single seater is lost with the halo. And the fans will have trouble identifying the helmet at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
I am glad they didn't opt for a canopy. Would have been a disaster from the spectators point of view.

But it would be safer compared to the halo. Massa being hit by that spring cannot be prevented with the halo.

deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 11:52   #5
BHPian

The Halo has been tested extensively in 2017.
By rookies, seniors, in rain , day and night.
FIA has done extensive studies and have presented the results to the drivers and teams during the season.
It's all set for an intro in 2018 and I believe people will get used to the "looks" sooner than later.
As far as the visibility is concerned, there were concerns that steep sections like in Eau-Rouge the drivers might find the top section to be distraction.
All that has been checked & even the starting light visibility has been checked and confirmed OK.
I do hope that all the halos don't look same and the teams go a bit creative with it especially as the Halo can have aero benefits if implemented wisely.

Here's the relevant tech. reg.

FIA changes Formula 1 rules to include Halo cockpits-halo-reg.jpg

Last edited by jfxavier : 26th September 2017 at 12:08.
jfxavier is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 17:05   #6
KPR
BANNED

News are mentioning that this Halo safety system has saved life of Grosjean last Sunday in Baharain GP.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks